volkswagen passat

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
i am thinking of buying a used vw passat 1.9 tdi 100ps 2003 model does anyone tow with one or have you are they any good as i am using a ford focus c-max 1.6 tdci 110ps 2004 but feel it drags on pulling away as i pull a compass rallye gte 510/5 can you advise please .........

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I will be towing with a VW Passat 2.0TDI Highline (140bhp) and we have just bought a Sterling Europa 495 with a MTPLM of 1480kgs is this a suitable match and how will it tow?

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Craig,

It will get you there, but I think you are taking a retrograde step. If you do fancy a Passat of that age, get a 130TDI (preferably a Sport for the stiffer suspension and six-speed box), there are a lot out there, and the difference would have you believe there are more than 30 extra nags under the bonnet.

Janet,

Isn`t this a question you should have asked before you bought the van, or are you happy to change the car if you get a negative answer?

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Craig,

It will get you there, but I think you are taking a retrograde step. If you do fancy a Passat of that age, get a 130TDI (preferably a Sport for the stiffer suspension and six-speed box), there are a lot out there, and the difference would have you believe there are more than 30 extra nags under the bonnet.

Janet,

Isn`t this a question you should have asked before you bought the van, or are you happy to change the car if you get a negative answer?
yes perhaps but really liked the van and got an excellent deal just hope it's within our limits?

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I had a 2001 Passat 130tdi Sport 6 speed, I towed a 1400kg van with no problems, as Angus has said these have more power and do tow very well.

Out of interest I drove to Cornwall (380 miles) at 60mph and it did 27mpg, on the way home I did 50mph and it did 37mpg.

Driving steady solo I have had 64mpg on a run and going quickly it rarly dropped below 52mpg.

spj

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Craig,

I have towed with a 54 plate Passat 1.9 Tdi (130ps)for four year now and have never had a problem towing. I tow a Swift Charisma (1363Kg) and it pulls remarkably well.

Like Angus has stated the extra pulling power of the 130 is worth the little bit extra.

On a recent trip to France I averaged 31 mpg whilst towing and just last week came back froma trip to Scarborough and averaged 32.7 mpg (very little wind so made towing that much easier).

Solo the car is also very economical and on a motorway drive will average over 54 Mpg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts