Volkswagon Bora 1.9TDI

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any body tow a caravan with one of these cars. My neighbour has recently bought a Bailey Ranger 510/4 and intends to tow with his Bora. To me the caravan looks far too heavy for this car - anybody any experience towing with this model car?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

A few years back we had a VW Bora TDI 115 bhp (manual 6 speed) towing an Eriba Triton (MiRO about 1000 kg), so just a bit lighter than the Ranger but quite a lot more aerodynamic.

Performance was OK, no issues starting or maintaining speed on hills, and 5th or 6th gear on motorways. And no stability issues from trucks.

The different aerodymanics of the Ranger might be the make-or-break for this combination.

Robert

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

A few years back we had a VW Bora TDI 115 bhp (manual 6 speed) towing an Eriba Triton (MiRO about 1000 kg), so just a bit lighter than the Ranger but quite a lot more aerodynamic.

Performance was OK, no issues starting or maintaining speed on hills, and 5th or 6th gear on motorways. And no stability issues from trucks.

The different aerodymanics of the Ranger might be the make-or-break for this combination.

Robert
Sorry - I didn't mean MiRO - I meant an estimated weight for the caravan in use.

And the Eriba was running with a nose-weight of around 35 kg (about 3.5% of the actual weight) but the long A-frame on the Eriba makes any nose-weight comparison meaningless

Robert

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
I've got a friend with one of these Bora's, and he tows a Compass Corona 505 MTPLM 1380 Kgs., and says he has no problem whatsoever.He's used it to take the 'van to Italy these last two years, and has booked a similar trip this year, so he's obviously quite happy with it.

TRENDING THREADS