volvo s60 good towcar?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lesley.

I have a S80 D5 Auto, and find it a great towcar. I tug a Van with a MTPLM of about 1450 kgs. Plenty of torque, and never had a problem. I think the engine in the S60 is the same, just a slightly smaller car. When not towing it's a speedy economical and comfy motor!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The S60 is essentially a S80 with shortened floorpan and less rear seat room so it should tow similar to the S80, and indeed it's other brother the V70.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Selling mine at the moment if you haven't already found one - metallic black '53 S60 D5 SE auto with biscuit leather and a genuine Volvo removeable towbar -

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Lesley,

I had a 2.4 D5 S6O manual for several years and towed a Coachman Amara with a MTPLM of 1500 kilos without any problem at all particularly on motorways. It was a very refined, smooth and stable tow car with excellent fuel economy (approx 30mpg)I had the 163 bhp version and my only slight gripe was that I found the 1st gear slightly high ratio so that when you have to stop / start on hilly roads it did feel the strain. It also has a very poor turning circle which you will need to get used to particularly if you need to 'correct' a reversing manouvre. If you have a choice go for the 185 bhp for extra tourque.

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
does anyone know kerbweight I was led to believe its around 1539 so using the 85% rule this means by limit for a new beginner is around 1300 is this true

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Lesley,

1500 kg would seem to be correct for a D5 S60 - but you should check the specification - and see what was actually fitted to your car - because that could increase the actual kerb-weight by 50 kg, 100 kg or more - which is good.

There is no 85% rule - it's a guideline for newbie caravan owners that will hopefully give them a safe towing experience. So follow it as practical advice, but don't let the exact value worry you too much - other than less is better - most drivers can't tell the difference 5% either way would make...

But it's probably a good idea to look at your driving licence and see if it's a B or B+E licence, because that does have implications on what you can tow.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts