Volvo V50 2.0D

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone tow with such a vehicle? I have one at the moment and am thinking of buying a Sprite Alpine 2. All measurements seem to be OK and equate to about 81%, but there is nothing like experience from those that know.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi i had one before i had a V70 from work. i used to tow 1-1 with ours and its no problem. the one thing i did fins was the suspension on the back end we fitted some graystones.

you will find 6th gear on large motorway banks no good so what we used to do was flick down to 5th so the powerband was in she will fly.

BR

Darren

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi i had one before i had a V70 from work. i used to tow 1-1 with ours and its no problem. the one thing i did fins was the suspension on the back end we fitted some graystones.

you will find 6th gear on large motorway banks no good so what we used to do was flick down to 5th so the powerband was in she will fly.

BR

Darren
Hi Darren

Thanks for the reply - very re-assuring.

Paul

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Paul

I tow with a 58 plate S40 2.0D and have a Abbey GTS 215 with a max permissible laden weight of 1384kg. No problem at all.

You should be a little better as the estates weigh more that the salons.

Power is no problem, motorways 6th at 60mph, around the lanes 5th.

The Volvo is a good reliable car as well, (although servicing is expensive). This is my 5th.

Brian

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Paul

I tow with a 58 plate S40 2.0D and have a Abbey GTS 215 with a max permissible laden weight of 1384kg. No problem at all.

You should be a little better as the estates weigh more that the salons.

Power is no problem, motorways 6th at 60mph, around the lanes 5th.

The Volvo is a good reliable car as well, (although servicing is expensive). This is my 5th.

Brian
Brian

Thank you very much for your reply. Sounds encouraging.

Paul

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
I tow a (carefully loaded) Senator Virginia series 6 with my 07 plate V50 2.0D, which, according to the towsure website, is a 107% match. In the last 30 months I have towed approx 4ooo miles around the UK & the car has been fantastic. I agree with Darren that you will need to drop into 5th on long motorway inclines, but apart from that will happily sit @ 60mph all day & return around 33mpg when towing.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I tow a (carefully loaded) Senator Virginia series 6 with my 07 plate V50 2.0D, which, according to the towsure website, is a 107% match. In the last 30 months I have towed approx 4ooo miles around the UK & the car has been fantastic. I agree with Darren that you will need to drop into 5th on long motorway inclines, but apart from that will happily sit @ 60mph all day & return around 33mpg when towing.
Hi Jellybelly

Thats a fair load, but it seems to confirm that I will have no problem with an Alpine 2!!

Thank you all for your help.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts