Volvo V70 Nightmare Push Button Parking Break

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I have a 2009 Volvo V70 R Design diesel manual gearbox and tow a Swift Charisma 220 (2001 model mgw 1150 kg) Fabulous towcar except, the Volvo has a push button parking break, not your conventional hand break. Total nightmare when attempting a hill start at traffic lights (with the van on the back)in Fochabers Scotland - this parking break did not hold and I felt the outfit slipping back.

This had given me sleepless nights. We were on our way to Findochty Caravan Site on the Moray coast, a fabulous little site right next to the rocky beach. Only problem is to leave the site you have to travel up a really steep hill with "Give Way" at the top before joining the main road. I did not enjoy the last week of our two weeks on this site just thinking about driving and possibly having to stop at the top of the hill.

Thankfully we are now at our next stop (here for a week).

I would not recommend any tow car which has a push button parking break. In fact our next car will be an automatic.

Linda

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda

I have an XC60 Auto with electric handbrake.When coming to a stop on a hill apply the foot brake and then put the handbrake on. With the auto you simply drive off and the brake releases automatically. Works fine on mine.

With the manual you possibly have to bring the clutch up to bite point and then pull the handbrake button.

Jim

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Update - well after panic attacks at the thought of leaving Findochty Caravan Site and needing to travel up a very steep hill to get out of the village we left a week gone yesterday. Didnt need to stop at the top of the hill so didnt need to do a hill start.

The more I have thought about it I have started to believe that when I encountered the problems at Fochabers I must have pulled on the parking button instead of pushing it. Hav done about 400 miles since leaving Findochty without problems. Now at Penrith with another two weeks before we return home.

Car is due for its service so I shall ask Mill Garages to have a look just to make certain.

Many thanks for all your comments and support.

Linda

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts