May 8, 2006
Visit site
I have a 2001 V70 Mk2 that I want to use for towing my caravan, my problem is that I need to run a wire from the alternator to a "Combi Master" split charging rely that is in the wheel well of the boot, this would activate the relay to charge the battery in the caravan and run the fridge whilst the engine is running.

I cannot find a way into the car from the engine bay to run the wire through to the boot.

Is there an ignition fed line in the boot fuse box that I could use to activate the relay or is there another way that I could activate the relay.

Many thanks.

Denis F Pipe

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Denis,

I would try posting your question on the excellent Volvo forum or failing that or as well ask your local Volvo dealer who in my opinion sum up professionalism.

Kindest regards MH

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Denis,

I would not connect any wires to your alternator without first consulting your Volvo dealer. The electrical systems on Volvo's are very complex. You could end up doing hundreds of pounds of damage.

Hamer

G

Agree with the points raised. Volvo's have bulb failure systems and in your case probably engine management systems that do not take kindly to just 'splicing in wires'. You also need a relay sytem for the trailer lights so I suggest strongly get Volvo or Witter to do the job correctly.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Years ago Volvo had many of these systems and you could buy the alternative plug in bulb failure system for use when caravan or trailer attaced from Hella or Bosch agents or whoever did the electrics.

They were parts where you unplugged the standard part and just swapped over with the new easy peasy to fit new part.

Unless Volvo are going backwards do some more checking out before you pay them a fortune for what could be an easy job.

G

Unfortunately, I think that was indeed 'years ago'. My own Volvo, 2002 model, has 3 huge fuse boxes and supposedly 18 computer systems to run everything. The system requires VADIS, to connect everything correctly and of course, only Volvo have these. They are actually not that expensive to do the wiring, slightly dearer than Witter but you do presumably get the 'full monty'.

May 8, 2006
Visit site
Thanks lads, I have spoken to Volvo and they have told me how to do it by putting a fuse into slot 15 in the cargo bay fuse box and using the number one position on the plug in the wheel well and that will do it. So many thanks again.

Denis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts