Volvo xc70 D5 with 4-c-active chassis

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I am looking to buy a 2006 Volvo XC70 which has 4-c-active chassis. I will be towing a Swift Challenger 530. Does anyone have experience of towing with similar vehicle - in particular the 4-c-chassis - and could give me the benefit of their experience - good or bad! Thanks.

"Whistler"

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I test-drove both the old and new XC70 with D5 engines - I didn't buy one as the diesel is gruff and unrefined.

As a similar vehicle, I bought a Subaru Outback which handles brilliantly solo and very capably when towing - the standard self-levelling suspension works very well, keeping everything at optimum angles what ever the load.

Oh yes, the Subaru is about half the price - and better built!

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I test-drove both the old and new XC70 with D5 engines - I didn't buy one as the diesel is gruff and unrefined.

As a similar vehicle, I bought a Subaru Outback which handles brilliantly solo and very capably when towing - the standard self-levelling suspension works very well, keeping everything at optimum angles what ever the load.

Oh yes, the Subaru is about half the price - and better built!
Thanks for that Roger.I assume that your test drive was solo, not towing. Did either car have the 4-c-active chassis (this is standard on the D5 SE lux model)? I really want to know how this version tows.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi i have been working as a rep for volvo trucks for about 10 years. i had a v70 with this active suspension for a few months and towed our van with it. it was hard and did not like to corner at speed never felt confident with it. as for the 2.4 and d5 engine they are great loads of pulling power and bottom end torque. the 5 speed gearbox is better on fuel than the 6 speed which is fitted to the later euro4/5 engine. these are great towcars and would get one if you could. have a look at the S60. good kerb weight these to.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Darren, your comments are useful. I must say I am getting cold feet about the 4-c active chassis, from the negative comments I have read, even though Volvo specify that it is good for towing, you were obviously not impressed and neither are a lot of other people. Yet there are others who love it! So I suppose you pays your money and takes your chance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts