VOSA Roadside Checks

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You make an excellent point at how overall statistics will be skewed.

In my post which hoped results might be published, I was thinking more in terms of percentages of those stopped overloaded, or poor tyres, or lights, or mirrors or licence etc.

John
I can't remember either of the clubs publishing statistics about road side stops before. But even then unless the clubs have someone counting all the caravans that don't get stopped you'll not get a balanced outcome.

With regards speed cameras. and their effectiveness as catching speeding caravans - becasue we don't have separate caravan registration numbers the camera system has no way of determining if a car is solo or towing just by looking at its registration number. That's not say that with AI they might not be able to begin to differentiate between solo and towing vehicles and thus apply the correct speed limit tarrifs.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I can't remember either of the clubs publishing statistics about road side stops before. But even then unless the clubs have someone counting all the caravans that don't get stopped you'll not get a balanced outcome.

I don't remember seeing any results published either. I agree, and did say that the results overall WILL be skewed for the reasons you and Raywood said but good reporting should make that clear. Publishing the results of just those tested may still show interesting issues which would serve as a lesson to others.

John

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
If it's loaded properly & you have the right license, what have you got to worry about? If your tyres/caravan/ loading/driving is not up to standard you shouldn't be on the road anyway.
Apart from the delay, I don't have any issues with this-in fact I would welcome it, in the name of safety!
Mike

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If it's loaded properly & you have the right license, what have you got to worry about? If your tyres/caravan/ loading/driving is not up to standard you shouldn't be on the road anyway.
Apart from the delay, I don't have any issues with this-in fact I would welcome it, in the name of safety!
Mike
Lets face it, a Sante Fe and a Coachman, what could be better. 😎

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just been a news item on re DVSA roadside trailer checks. They were looking at lights and couplings and passing out advisory leaflets. But no sign of any weighing equipment. I guess it would depend on the facilities available at the location.

They said they will be out every weekend.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I don’t believe there are many extra checks if any at all, it’s all rumour that are spread to get more people to lower weights, they don’t have the staff, the money or the equipment to do the mass testing that the rumours reckon will be happening, in 20 years I’ve seen a massive total of absolutely not a single one check point and I doubt I ever will.

BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have seen a couple but never been pulled in. I think they would be selective.

Many years ago around Widnes, the police used to do mass spot checks on everything. I have been stopped solo a couple of times. They even had a service bus in!

But most of that was to do with licences and tax, which of course, is now done electronically.

Our works van was often pulled over for a tax check. The police did not like our ‘disc‘ in the windscreen. They took some convincing that central government organisations were exempt. Particularly as police aren’t.

John

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a couple but never been pulled in. I think they would be selective.

Many years ago around Widnes, the police used to do mass spot checks on everything. I have been stopped solo a couple of times. They even had a service bus in!

But most of that was to do with licences and tax, which of course, is now done electronically.

Our works van was often pulled over for a tax check. The police did not like our ‘disc‘ in the windscreen. They took some convincing that central government organisations were exempt. Particularly as police aren’t.

John

John
I was pulled over near to Ringwood and led by a police motorcycle to a DVSA weigh-bridge site. Got a pretty thorough helath and weight check to car and caravan. No idea why the motorcyclist flagged me to follow as it was a two berth being towed by a Saab9000 and the outfit was nicely level. Probably just the luck of the draw. Similar I guess to two gendarmes in a sleepy village pulling me over for a breath test around 1100.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was pulled over near to Ringwood and led by a police motorcycle to a DVSA weigh-bridge site. Got a pretty thorough helath and weight check to car and caravan. No idea why the motorcyclist flagged me to follow as it was a two berth being towed by a Saab9000 and the outfit was nicely level. Probably just the luck of the draw. Similar I guess to two gendarmes in a sleepy village pulling me over for a breath test around 1100.

I was once about to be stopped by two gendarmes on a dead straight D road solo. When I was close enough for them to see my number plate they clearly did not want to get involved and quickly retreated.

Another time I was driving my friends car as a nice French person had written my car off. We had been travelling all day and were desperate to find something to eat at about 9:30. We were stopped by a road block at quiet cross roads. Pitch black. (It may have been a known route for people to use who had had a few).

A very large sergeant leaned in through the window with a big smile on his face an announced in very good English, "Good evening sir, we are the French police" "Please blow into this bag". I am pleased he never asked me for paperwork for the car, or notice that I was opening the sun roof while trying to find the curtesy light.

I had to fill a small balloon up which they then passed through the machine. I was all clear. I had to go back that way shortly after but the waved me through.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any spot checks on the M5 today, but they could easily have carried out their checks on the motorway from the RAC building before Cribbs Causeway down to Jn 25 because nothing was moving very far.
For most of the time the motorway was at a standstill near to Avonmouth, it took us 6½ hours to complete a 3 hour journey.
We're nicely settled in at Waterrow Touring Park for a week now though, and it's beer o clock on this peaceful adult only site near to Wiveliscombe, Somerset.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see any spot checks on the M5 today, but they could easily have carried out their checks on the motorway from the RAC building before Cribbs Causeway down to Jn 25 because nothing was moving very far.
For most of the time the motorway was at a standstill near to Avonmouth, it took us 6½ hours to complete a 3 hour journey.
We're nicely settled in at Waterrow Touring Park for a week now though, and it's beer o clock on this peaceful adult only site near to Wiveliscombe, Somerset.
Enjoy your break at least the 4 cast looks okay fir the week.

Reactions: Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy I hope you two have a fantastic relaxing break and the weather looking good ;)

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thats a lovely site isn't it Parksy.
We stayed there about 4 years ago when we had the dogs.
We couldn't get them out of the stream🤣
I expect modern technology has moved on a bit now,but we struggled to get a phone signal there when we visited.
Nice little pub down the road and the sound of the pheasants.
Lovely site.👍
I know what you mean about the traffic......I travelled from Gloucester to Aztec West on Friday(11am),and decided to use the A38.....trouble is....so did everyone else😂
90 minutes to get back to my workplace.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thats a lovely site isn't it Parksy.
We stayed there about 4 years ago when we had the dogs.
We couldn't get them out of the stream🤣
I expect modern technology has moved on a bit now,but we struggled to get a phone signal there when we visited.
Nice little pub down the road and the sound of the pheasants.
Lovely site.👍
I know what you mean about the traffic......I travelled from Gloucester to Aztec West on Friday(11am),and decided to use the A38.....trouble is....so did everyone else😂
90 minutes to get back to my workplace.
The site is definitely worth the hassle that we had to get here G&A, it's a bright sunny morning with fellow caravanners out walking their dogs here.
The phone signal for me is ok, and the free WiFi is working well.
The satnav yesterday was suggesting alternative routes away from the M5 but I didn't bite, I would have been stuck in traffic either way.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also stopped there roughly 10 years ago on Waterrow a lovely site Parksy our hardstanding service pitch was fantastic i think we paid £21 per night i expect prices have gone up since like someone mention the pub we also went there and we found a Tesco supermarket from our home to there it was 270 miles and travel on M5 and A38 and it delayed us we said we would come back again the site was well worth it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts