Vw Tiguan TSI 1.4

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Firstly we are in Nz and I believe we have the same variants of Tiguan as the UK. We are looking at a 2017 1.4 Tsi 6 speed auto 110kw. Fwd.
Our caravan is 2013 elddis odyssey 540
Mass in Running Order: 1307 kg
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass: 1470 kg
Has anyone towed similar weights to this before. Just to note we do 90% normal driving 10% towing.
We would put minimal in the van and most in the car - which I presume would make a difference.
Thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. What is the makers maximum towing spec for the car, it may be different to UK, and not knowing the NZ rules to towing I’d be a bit reluctant to advise. I’ve put your details into Towcar.info but some of the details do not align with those given by you. However the website does allow user input to vary parameters. Here’s a screen shot. There’s a lot more info that’s not captured by the screen shot. You will see that the European Odessey 2013 540 shows a heavier MTPLM than yours. So a bit more investigation required wrt NZ towing rules and car/caravan specs, but the website allows varying car, caravan, payloads and noseweight.

Towcar.info website gives one match for free, but now there’s a charge for further matches. Such is life. There may be NZ matching sites.
IMG_1123.png

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Aren't the caravans imported from the UK?
That’s what I thought but the extensive list in Towcar.info doesn’t align on MTPLM for a 2013 Odessey 540, which I cannot explain from afar, and having to pay for. That’s why I advised the OP to investigate a bit further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's not unusual for UK dealers to misquote the year of a caravan if it stood in stock when new, ie they'll use the year it was first sold new rather than the model year - if this was carried over when the caravan was exported to NZ then it could be earlier than 2013, which in turn could account for the discrepancy in weights.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not unusual for UK dealers to misquote the year of a caravan if it stood in stock when new, ie they'll use the year it was first sold new rather than the model year - if this was carried over when the caravan was exported to NZ then it could be earlier than 2013, which in turn could account for the discrepancy in weights.
My last one was first registered April 2013, but completed manufacture in November 2011. Unfortunately the towcar.info site did not go earlier than 2013 but it does give the user the option just to input the caravan weights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly we are in Nz and I believe we have the same variants of Tiguan as the UK. We are looking at a 2017 1.4 Tsi 6 speed auto 110kw. Fwd.
Our caravan is 2013 elddis odyssey 540
Mass in Running Order: 1307 kg
Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass: 1470 kg
Has anyone towed similar weights to this before. Just to note we do 90% normal driving 10% towing.
We would put minimal in the van and most in the car - which I presume would make a difference.
Thanks
Even if what appears to be the same model of vehicle is sold in a different country, the local laws can change what you are allowed to do with it. As a result what may be allowed here in the UK may be different in New Zealand.

I also have been told that some UK built caravans exported to NZ and AUS have different (tougher) chassis construction, so whilst they may share a model name, they may have different weight specifications.

We do have a small number of contributors who live in NZ they may a better understanding of local regulations and model variations.

However, as a general note the Tiguan has had some good reviews as a tow vehicle. It's wheel at each corner gives it good stability. Whilst traditionalists will say you need a larger capacity engine, the VW 1.4l engine has proven to be a good work horse, and because it is turbocharged it can develope reasonable levels of torque even at higher altitudes .

Provided it meets all local regulations and weight limits I see no reason why it shouldn't be ok for your stated needs.

Reactions: Joannamnz
Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for your replys.. sorry it's a 2012 Elddiss I'd have to have a look at the information plate on the door to confirm. Definitely know it has a "14 "at the start of it! So not 1550kg. Tigaun has a tow bar on it rated to 1800kg braked. So within the limits. I'm more concerned about if a vehicle with a 1.4l turbo can engine can tow. And how stable it would be especially being a fwd.

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Even if what appears to be the same model of vehicle is sold in a different country, the local laws can change what you are allowed to do with it. As a result what may be allowed here in the UK may be different in New Zealand.

I also have been told that some UK built caravans exported to NZ and AUS have different (tougher) chassis construction, so whilst they may share a model name, they may have different weight specifications.

We do have a small number of contributors who live in NZ they may a better understanding of local regulations and model variations.

However, as a general note the Tiguan has had some good reviews as a tow vehicle. It's wheel at each corner gives it good stability. Whilst traditionalists will say you need a larger capacity engine, the VW 1.4l engine has proven to be a good work horse, and because it is turbocharged it can develope reasonable levels of torque even at higher altitudes .

Provided it meets all local regulations and weight limits I see no reason why it shouldn't be ok for your stated needs.
Thank you for your reply, you've pretty much answered my question 😊

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for your replys.. sorry it's a 2012 Elddiss I'd have to have a look at the information plate on the door to confirm. Definitely know it has a "14 "at the start of it! So not 1550kg. Tigaun has a tow bar on it rated to 1800kg braked. So within the limits. I'm more concerned about if a vehicle with a 1.4l turbo can engine can tow. And how stable it would be especially being a fwd.
I'd recommend AWD in NZ you may struggle with FWD on some of steep gravel access roads to DOC and regional park sites also on wet grass at these sites.
Good luck doing hill start on gravel with FWD and 1300kg caravan in tow, my old car struggled with 350kg trailer.

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
I'd recommend AWD in NZ you may struggle with FWD on some of steep gravel access roads to DOC and regional park sites also on wet grass at these sites.
Good luck doing hill start on gravel with FWD and 1300kg caravan in tow, my old car struggled with 350kg trailer.
We stick to camp grounds and won't be going on gravel track - not intentionally anyway! Worst case would be getting stuck on wet grass. Can i ask what car did you have that struggled to pull 350kg?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even with cars with 4WD and one was fitted with All terrain tyres I’ve been unable to exit some wet grass sites. Three times with three different 4WD and the sites were level too. But fortunately the mover saved the day.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Even with cars with 4WD and one was fitted with All terrain tyres I’ve been unable to exit some wet grass sites. Three times with three different 4WD and the sites were level too. But fortunately the mover saved the day.
Yep at the same on a CL that was slightly sloping. Front wheel drive Volvo S80 and at the time no motor mover. After that incident had motor mover fitted and changed to a Toyota Surf 4x4.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yep at the same on a CL that was slightly sloping. Front wheel drive Volvo S80 and at the time no motor mover. After that incident had motor mover fitted and changed to a Toyota Surf 4x4.
Only got stuck once, a FWD Vauxhall Astra towing a caravan almost it's own weight out of a steep-sloping field in the wet - had to unhitch and get the caravan onto a farm track using the mover - that event crystallised my plans to switch to 4WD.

Strangely, my previous Vauxhall Cavalier had no such issues, even embarrassing a couple of Ford 4WDs, despite the Cavalier being notorious for lack of front grip on wet tarmac.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts