Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi everybody.

I would like to hear your comments regarding the VW Touareg in 2.5tdi or 3.2V6 versions. Her indoors has spied a 3.2v6 unit on a 54 plate for quote "a reasonable price". Guess who's paying!

Does anybody already have one or other of these units especially towing a twin axle of about 1650kgs laden?.

Does anyone have an LPG conversion on a Touareg?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael,

My business partner has just taken delivery of a V6 TDI Touareg, after a disasterous family vacation with their Renault Grande Espace - it basically blew all the oil out of the engine somewhere in Italy and then returned home to Rotterdam (without car) by train.

But they haven't towed with it yet, and probably won't until the Spring, but they like it a lot.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael.

I too looked at the VW along with others last year when we got our new bessi. A good powerfull unit and very comfortable. in the end we went for the Porche Cayenne. Absolutly bril car but incredibly thirsty.

Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

I had experience of using VW Touareg as a tow car when our car (3.2L Vauxhall Monterey 4x4) broke down near Rome this Summer. We have a Bailey Senator Arizona (1500Kg). The CC Red Pennant were only able to provide a VW Passat (2L TDi) whilst we were in Italy. Although it was a lovely car I found it a bit underpowered as in addition to the caravan, collie and 3 adults we had a inflatable boat, outboard and a lot of other kit!! The load we were carrying meant that the car was way down on the suspension and a little light on the steering. I was not happy with the situation but the hire company classed larger cars as luxury and refused to allow them into Italy.

As soon as we out of Italy we were provided with a VW Touareg via Europcar. Once we had mastered the controls and worked out how to change the computer from German to English readouts I was VERY IMPRESSED. The car was a brand new 3.0L diesel and towed our 'van and carried us and our baggage effortlessly. It swallowed all of our baggage without problem. The adjustable suspension gave us a perfectly level towing profile. The car had oodles of power and cruised easily at 60 mph with the 'van on the back up hill and down dale!

It was an extremely stable tow even though I had no stabiliser (we normally use a Straightliner but had no fittings for that on the hire cars) I certainly noticed the lack of stabiliser on the Passat - my wrists ached from the constant twitching caused by overtaking HGVs and that was after VERY CAREFUL loading of the 'van).

It was very comfortable and I made good use of the cruise control. The computerised readout on petrol consumption, etc was very helpful too. The model we had was the top-of-the range with all the bells and whistles including SAT Nav (CD based), ESP and parking sensors.

We towed up to Dunkerque with the Touareg where RP brought over a left hand drive Land Rover Discovery from the UK. What a come down!!

Although I only had the Touareg for this one 600 mile trip I was very impressed. I would buy one tomorrow but unfortunately I don't think my wife would be very happy at selling the house to buy it!!!! LOL

I have an aquaintance with the petrol version who tells me that it is VERY thirsty

Hope this is some help.

Tim

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The programme that we all love .... TOPGEAR lol (well I do), tested the ToeRag when it first came out and they were impressed.

One of their tests was to connect a large fallen tree trunk to its tow bar using a heavy chain and tow it around a slippery field !!

The car had no problems at all and Mr Clarkson said something like " It has more torque than Jonathan Ross"

They even thought it was a decent drive on road too lol.

Steve

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. We(she) have now narrowed it down to two motors, VW Touareg 2.5tdi and Merc ML270 both on 53 plate.

Test drives this weekend.

Thankyou all for your comments.

Mike

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments. We(she) have now narrowed it down to two motors, VW Touareg 2.5tdi and Merc ML270 both on 53 plate.

Test drives this weekend.

Thankyou all for your comments.

Mike
Michael,

Which one did you go for as I am looking at a Mercedes ML 270?

Nov 2, 2007
Visit site
Michael,

Which one did you go for as I am looking at a Mercedes ML 270?
Hello Ian. Have decided on the Toureg but found a 3.0 tdi.

Heard too many reports of bad service from local MB outlets, plus last 3 company cars have been VW, so far 240k miles in total and NO problems. but never towed with them.

TRENDING THREADS