VW touran turbo 'overboost' - should we be worried??

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

We just returned from the South Lakes and there is a long stretch of uphill on the M6. We later lost power and broke down on the A69 and the car (Touran 2 litre TDi) would drive ok on it's own (although it guzzled a lot of oil) so the RAC towed the 'van home for us. Diagnostic checks at VW registered an 'overboost' on the turbo, which is ok again now. We are now worried that our car is not strong enough to tow our Bailey ranger 540/6 (the outfit is within the 85% ratio). Has this happened to anyone else and do you think we need to change towcar? The estimated cost of replacing the turbo if it does actually 'go' is about £1500-2000. eek!

We're thinking of changing to a new style X Trail 2 litre.

Thanks for any advice. Whilst I probably won't understand any technical info in replies my hubby will!

Angel

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi Angel

Having worked for VW for nearly 19 years I would get rid asap unless you want to pay for new turbo. We saw a lot of this particularly Passat 2.0TDi, break down, time it's recovered in, no real faults shown, goes okay for another couple of weeks then bang again, recover in, okay again afterwards. From experience the only fix is to change turbo, no more problems in the cars we did.

Hope this helps.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Thank you to you both for replying. Thank you Ian that is exactly the kind of decisive response I was hoping for. Will be selling this week (hopefully, if we can find a car we want)!!

The guy from VW dealership who picked my husband up after testing the car at the dealership said similar 'on the quiet' but we just wondered whether he wanted us to trade it in and spend money there again! Obviously he was being honest.

Thanks again

Angel

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
We had the same problem on a Mk5 Golf 2.0 TDi.

It failed (under warranty) twice towing on the way to Dover, and went into "limp home mode", by switching off and back on everything reset.

Returning from Dover solo everything ran OK, but VW dianosed a "Turbo overboost" and changed the turbo under warranty.

It went again two years later (by now outside of warranty), but only when towing, VW couldn't replicate the fault so couldn't say if the fault was due to another turbo failure, so wouldn't change it under a "Goodwill" gesture, so we changed the car for a Tiguan.

Incidently a recon turbo is about

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I think someone should mention this to the caravan club towcar of the year awards people. VAG group appeared to put in about half of all the cars tested, so no wonder one won lol. Not much use if the towcar of the year cant get very far with a van on't back without blowing its turbo.

BTW we were taken to the airport in a 55 plate 1.9tdi passatt the other week with 350k miles on it. Driver loved it, but said they also had a much newer 2.0tdi & in his words it was utter s***t & the firm would never have another. Oil pump failure or something was the recurring problem.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think someone should mention this to the caravan club towcar of the year awards people. VAG group appeared to put in about half of all the cars tested, so no wonder one won lol. Not much use if the towcar of the year cant get very far with a van on't back without blowing its turbo.

BTW we were taken to the airport in a 55 plate 1.9tdi passatt the other week with 350k miles on it. Driver loved it, but said they also had a much newer 2.0tdi & in his words it was utter s***t & the firm would never have another. Oil pump failure or something was the recurring problem.
I just hope I'm not the poor fool who you sell it to! Why is it acceptable to sell a car that is almost certain to fail, anywhere else it would be fraud!

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hence why I'm a fan of the older 1.9 Tdi engine, well proven and much more reliable than the newer 2.0, we've seen 1.9 with 200k on the clock regularly, no problems, get a 2.0, probably had it by 80k

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
I just hope I'm not the poor fool who you sell it to! Why is it acceptable to sell a car that is almost certain to fail, anywhere else it would be fraud!
No Peter, I won't be taking anyone for a fool as you so nicely put it! The car has been checked and found to have no fault by VW, altho the diagnostics recognised an overboost had occurred. There is no fault and the car is runnning well (we still have it - until we find a replacement) so when I trade it in at the dealers I can do so with a clear conscience. The reason for getting rid of it is that in view of other peoples' feedback I feel it is no longer reliable as a towcar. My family's safety is paramount and breaking down on the A69 is something I do not wish to repeat in a hurry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts