Wales may impose ‘visitor levy’ on overnight guests

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Tourists may cause wear and tear on the roads and some bring some food but this is far outweighed by the money they spend so a tourist tax does have to be handled very carefully or it could end up costing more in lost revenue than it brings in. Edinburgh has been looking at this and frankly to me the revenue did not justify the cost of the scheme and the risk to the local economy.
Possibly Edinburgh is more vulnerable as they could lose out to stays in the immediate area if the neighbouring authorities do not follow suit. With Wales if you want to stop in say Aberystwyth you can hardly travel in daily from England, the risk is you will stay in England and miss out Wales altogether.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
One of the recurring comments against a tourist tax - usually made by the those in the tourism industry - is that a tourist tax will deter people from coming. Personally I don't think the small amount of tax imposed would make a difference to them.

Cost of living, vat and sales taxes can vary from country to country anyway, yet I suspect few tourists will look at those figures and choose to go somewhere else that's potentially cheaper.

The amount of tourist tax I've been charged is usually miniscule compared with the cost of getting to and staying in these places.

I've just been charged NZ$52 (£26) to get into New Zealand which is virtually nothing to the cost of getting there.

I was charged €5 to stay in Malta - just a cup of coffee and again virtually nothing compared to the other costs.

I've just booked a couple of flights for £240 of which £5 was added just before check out to chose a seat - none were free. Plus a surcharge for using a credit card.

I'm sure some years ago I had to pay a tax to leave Australia.

There was a time I recall when you had to pay to go over the Severn Bridge or Forth Road Bridge and take a ferry to Skye and initially pay a toll on the Skye Bridge. When these dissappeared we probably paid for it in another way.

If you want to drive in London Congestion Zone area you have to pay.

There are many sneaky or hidden taxes and irritating though they are, they're just a fact of life.

Whether or not a tourist tax is worth the effor or not is another question. I certainly don't view it as a deterrent.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
One of the recurring comments against a tourist tax - usually made by the those in the tourism industry - is that a tourist tax will deter people from coming. Personally I don't think the small amount of tax imposed would make a difference to them.

Cost of living, vat and sales taxes can vary from country to country anyway, yet I suspect few tourists will look at those figures and choose to go somewhere else that's potentially cheaper.

The amount of tourist tax I've been charged is usually miniscule compared with the cost of getting to and staying in these places.

I've just been charged NZ$52 (£26) to get into New Zealand which is virtually nothing to the cost of getting there.

I was charged €5 to stay in Malta - just a cup of coffee and again virtually nothing compared to the other costs.

I've just booked a couple of flights for £240 of which £5 was added just before check out to chose a seat - none were free. Plus a surcharge for using a credit card.

I'm sure some years ago I had to pay a tax to leave Australia.

There was a time I recall when you had to pay to go over the Severn Bridge or Forth Road Bridge and take a ferry to Skye and initially pay a toll on the Skye Bridge. When these dissappeared we probably paid for it in another way.

If you want to drive in London Congestion Zone area you have to pay.

There are many sneaky or hidden taxes and irritating though they are, they're just a fact of life.

Whether or not a tourist tax is worth the effor or not is another question. I certainly don't view it as a deterrent.

I fully agree, but I think this proposal is far more local, more like the French do. It does not just affect foreign visitors, but also the welsh wishing to stay outside their area. Also, not just tourists, but anyone needing to stay overnight, for business for example.

My own feelings are that such taxes should be small and the benefits should be directed to the area. I think the French work on a parish-by-parish basis. Or whatever they term a parish.

John

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Possibly if you implement it the local authorities should set their own level according to the perceived need and the money stay local for the use of the people affected by tourism. That might help keep it realistic as if one area gets too high it might lose them business. I do feel paying the tax to a government might end up with the money being used badly. Hope that is not too political.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Possibly if you implement it the local authorities should set their own level according to the perceived need and the money stay local for the use of the people affected by tourism. That might help keep it realistic as if one area gets too high it might lose them business. I do feel paying the tax to a government might end up with the money being used badly. Hope that is not too political.

I may be wrong, but I think that that is what the French do, as the small tourism tax varies from place to place and is often zero.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The poll tax was simply a different basis for paying council tax while the Tourist Tax is aimed at raising more money so I suspect it will go ahead.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I'm not going, I dont like leeks

Then again I might go for the Lamb.
Have you tried the laverbread 🤢

During COVID the Welsh First Minister succeeded where Llewelyn and Owain Glyndwr failed, at keeping the English out of Wales. One can only assume that this is the next attempt. 😀
mel

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Have you tried the laverbread 🤢

During COVID the Welsh First Minister succeeded where Llewelyn and Owain Glyndwr failed, at keeping the English out of Wales. One can only assume that this is the next attempt. 😀
mel

Careful what you say - even as a joke. Sometimes humour gets mistaken.

Thread locked as its wandering into a tricky area of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts