Wales may impose ‘visitor levy’ on overnight guests

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In France never had an issue with toilets and never came across one that was not fit for purpose. I admit I have had to use the roadside on occasions even in a town. I now carry a special bottle with me in case I don't have any change or there is no public convenience nearby. One of the joys of getting old! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Snowdonia had a similar problem to the one described and desperately need to do something but as you rightly say it all need money.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In France never had an issue with toilets and never came across one that was not fit for purpose. I admit I have had to use the roadside on occasions even in a town. I now carry a special bottle with me in case I don't have any change or there is no public convenience nearby. One of the joys of getting old! :D
One nice thing about France is that businesses like bars and cafes don’t mind if you use their facilities. In many cities they have the pay as you go ones that look like Doctor Who’s Tardis. In smaller towns there are still the little ones with “ squat” footplates, and don’t forget the “ pissoir”.

CA9B3DA0-9A25-42CD-BD91-B601A39F3C81.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One nice thing about France is that businesses like bars and cafes don’t mind if you use their facilities. In many cities they have the pay as you go ones that look like Doctor Who’s Tardis. In smaller towns there are still the little ones with “ squat” footplates, and don’t forget the “ pissoir”.

Here one sometimes you get a real dirty look if you just walk through to the toilet from whoever is managing the place. I guess they are trying to make you feel guilty.
Most times like very recently when the toilets on the train station were closed, I do ask and generally there is no objection, but on occasions no time to ask.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When you go on some French sites they add a daily local tax. I imagine this is passed to the town hall. Perhaps it is audited randomly. The Welsh may do similar.

A welsh person, a business owner. Said they don't need restrictions which may restrict tourism. But that was just one person.

Seems on top of the occasional tourist tax we will soon face a 7 euro entry fee to enter Europe.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes ; and we plan to introduce a similar approach for entry into UK, but the scheme is running late. In the overall cost of a trip to Europe €7 Euros is peanuts, and doesn’t the “pass” last for three years and unlimited visits, in which case even bigger peanuts. Of course the visits can only be a maximum of 90 days in 180 days but I can live with that.

ps the article is over 12 months old and has been discussed at length on the Forum.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Imho France have some of the most disgusting toilets in Europe. Though they have improved. A modern supermarket complex had one small and busy gents. They chose to fit a full sized glass door. Also, the female cleaner was mopping around peoples feet. Along the roads they make little or no attempt to conceal themselves.

In Paris, we used a clean toilet, but the ladies had to walk through the gents behind a line of men's backs, to get to their end.

No public loo to be found in Luxemburg city. There was a queue from on upstairs loo to the street in McDonald's. Not a nice place to eat.

(before I get told off I do know Luxembourg is not in France) 😊.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Imho France have some of the most disgusting toilets in Europe. Though they have improved. A modern supermarket complex had one small and busy gents. They chose to fit a full sized glass door. Also, the female cleaner was mopping around peoples feet. Along the roads they make little or no attempt to conceal themselves.

In Paris, we used a clean toilet, but the ladies had to walk through the gents behind a line of men's backs, to get to their end.

No public loo to be found in Luxemburg city. There was a queue from on upstairs loo to the street in McDonald's. Not a nice place to eat.

John
Makes me wonder then why you like France so much ?
I guess India will not be on your
“ bucket” list 🚾🚽🚻

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Makes me wonder then why you like France so much ?
I guess India will not be on your
“ bucket” list 🚾🚽🚻

France has many many other attractions. We don't go for the quality of the toilets. Never have.

There is much complaint about the availability of facilities in the UK. But I think, in general, we are probably better than Europe in general.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

John
Tame in comparison to some places in Africa. :LOL:

Oct 3, 2022
Visit site
I've just seen this article in The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/20/wales-may-impose-visitor-levy-on-overnight-guests. It appears that it would apply to campsites. The Welsh Government have opened a Consultation process, more details can be found here: https://gov.wales/a-visitor-levy-for-wales
Interesting, a caravan site near my home has half the pitches on the Welsh side and the others on the English side of the border (Monmouthshire/Gloucestershire).

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, a caravan site near my home has half the pitches on the Welsh side and the others on the English side of the border (Monmouthshire/Gloucestershire).
That would present an interesting outcome. Perhaps a mini Offas **** would be required.

I have been censored by PC’s software 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
This happens. We did have a Sainsbury's supermarket on the border between two councils. Basically they only licensed one half which had the off licence section and the checkouts in it. I am not sure how a campsite would be able to work it though as the Welsh pitches would in theory have to cost more and people would not stand for that.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This happens. We did have a Sainsbury's supermarket on the border between two councils. Basically they only licensed one half which had the off licence section and the checkouts in it. I am not sure how a campsite would be able to work it though as the Welsh pitches would in theory have to cost more and people would not stand for that.
They could simply charge the same for each pitch, knowing they only need to pay the tax on the Welsh pitches.

I don't see why a tourist tax is any different to a variable rate of council tax - local busineeses will need to pass it on whatever the tax is called.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally tourists already seem to end up paying more than locals for most things, so I do personally feel such an additional tax is insulting, and I suspect the suggested charge,will barely cover the cost of managing scheme, so for it to be cost effective, it will almost certainly need to ramped if it is to produce a genuine income stream to the Welsh Gov't

The scheme is quite likely to drive visitors away from the Principality.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
For decades The Welsh Government have been issuing thousands of “Enjoy A Welsh Holiday” type brochure. Allegedly Tourism brings hard cash to to the local economies. What’s changed? Brexit? Staycation? Or a lot of people with short memories.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For decades The Welsh Government have been issuing thousands of “Enjoy A Welsh Holiday” type brochure. Allegedly Tourism brings hard cash to to the local economies. What’s changed? Brexit? Staycation? Or a lot of people with short memories.
Could it be a shortage of local authority finances as real income to the welsh government has fallen, just as it has to English authorities over the last few years. So a tourist tax properly spent could help to support areas in maintaining services and facilities.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Generally tourists already seem to end up paying more than locals for most things, so I do personally feel such an additional tax is insulting, and I suspect the suggested charge,will barely cover the cost of managing scheme, so for it to be cost effective, it will almost certainly need to ramped if it is to produce a genuine income stream to the Welsh Gov't

The scheme is quite likely to drive visitors away from the Principality.
Paying “tourist taxes” when overseas has never deterred us from arranging holidays to where we want to go to. No mention of a tax rate has been made, but it’s hardly a deal breaker when you consider the attractions of Wales for all types of holiday. I just hope my son doesn’t levy it from us when we visit him. 😂

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Could it be a shortage of local authority finances as real income to the welsh government has fallen, just as it has to English authorities over the last few years. So a tourist tax properly spent could help to support areas in maintaining services and facilities.
And next I’ll be reading the English will be charging the Welsh and Scots to stay in England 🙃🙃

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Generally tourists already seem to end up paying more than locals for most things,

Not quite sure I understand that. They use the same shops and filling stations etc as the residents and pay the same VAT. In fact if your an overseas visitor you can often reclaim VAT on certain purchases.

A tourist in a caravan or motorhome may well bring cheaper food and fuel into our area because they've come from an area where these things are cheaper. Same can be said for those using holiday homes.

Tourists bring more wear and tear on the infrastructure of the areas they visit. This needs to be funded somehow.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not quite sure I understand that. They use the same shops and filling stations etc as the residents and pay the same VAT. In fact if your an overseas visitor you can often reclaim VAT on certain purchases.

A tourist in a caravan or motorhome may well bring cheaper food and fuel into our area because they've come from an area where these things are cheaper. Same can be said for those using holiday homes.

Tourists bring more wear and tear on the infrastructure of the areas they visit. This needs to be funded somehow.
Simple. Go the whole hog and use ANPR😜

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts