Want to downsize to an xplore 304

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi I have been caravaning for a year now with a Swift Sprite Major 6TD but have never felt comfortable towing it as it just feels too long especially the overhang past the wheels. I know 7.5m is pretty standard and it’s just probably me, but I am considering downsizing to an xplore 304. I have 2 children age 5&7. My OH thinks I’m mad but she doesn’t tow. My question is does anyone have an xplore 304 with a family of 4 and how do you get on with it.

Thanks in anticipation of any advice

Windmill29

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Windmill29 , hi .
We went from the smaller Baileys to a Sprite Major 6 TD what you have (and Lcaru5 may agree as we have the same) and I have looked at what you are thinking of downsizing to and with two kids ; I wouldn't , as you would lose a lot of space , my kids are 6 and 11 and for them , they have their own bit of space at the back, it's great as my wife and I have our bit of space at the front . I agree it is a large caravan but if you can put up with it, the space is tremendous. Trying to put four people into what you are wanting to downsize to plus things that go with you, you will feel very cramped.

Craig .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Windmill 29
I’ m with Craig. Downsizing with a growing family is not a good idea.
I believe a longer caravan is more stable than a shorter one. However correct loading and nose load are critical . What’s your tow Car?
If you feel uneasy why not enrol on a Caravan Club towing course? SWMBO did it years ago. It was brilliant. Not just towing but all aspects of setting up safely before setting off.

Mar 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi Dustydog

Tow car is an X3 so no real issue with towing sometimes feels twitchy but normally ok. It’s just the long rear overhang that gets me. You may be right regarding course.

Thanks both for input

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Like Dusty says ,
would it not be cheaper if you possibly went for the slightly larger tow car not that I know what you have now but that might improve stability when towing and make you a bit more at ease ?

Edit , apologies we both must have been typing at the same time I did not realise you had posted just before me!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We started out with four of us in a 10 ft caravan and managed well. We only changed as we had a third child and moved up to a 14ft model. You do need to travel light but it is possible although I am not syre how we would have managed if we had moved down to the 10 ft model from a bigger one.
Towing the smaller model is not more difficult than the larger ones though.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have recent experience of an Xplore 302. This is the 2 berth version of the 304. The layout is different but the van is not much smaller. We are usually in a Bailey Valencia with a fixed bed, end bathroom, long lounge etc. In the 302 there were us 2 and the dog. What we found was that we had to adapt considerably. Travelling much lighter, thinking through catering and washing up; strategically moving around the van, ( "you stand there while I move there").
However after a short time we got ourselves into a system. The 302 is a fab van and the L shaped lounge was really spacious. I keep singing its praises at every chance.
Towing was easier according to the OH, as was pulling and pushing the van.
Living in such a tiny van is harder than a big spacious beast. When we had 3 teenagers and a 7 year old we were in a five berth motor home, and really had to manage it logistically. :lol: This was great when the weather was good and they were out. Not as easy, but by no means impossible when it was wet. You will need an awning, but you can make it all work if you are prepared to rethink how you caravan.

As an aside, if you are fed up of towing, have you thought of a site that does store and pitch, or even seasonal?
Hope this helps
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did it without an awning on the first caravan, but we had moved up from a tent rather than downsizing. If you are downsizing I think an awning might prove essential as you probably have a lot more gear than we had.
If you can get hold of one, it might be worthwhile hiring a smaller caravan for a weekend, to see how you get on.

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have been caravaning for a year now with a Swift Sprite Major 6TD but have never felt comfortable towing it as it just feels too long especially the overhang past the wheels. I know 7.5m is pretty standard and it’s just probably me, but I am considering downsizing to an xplore 304. I have 2 children age 5&7. My OH thinks I’m mad but she doesn’t tow. My question is does anyone have an xplore 304 with a family of 4 and how do you get on with it.

Windmill29

Windmill29
hello I own a xplore 304 and still find it difficult at time coming from a larger van and there is only two of us and downsizing with a growing family, I wouldn’t recommend the 304 as it would be to crammed for you and would be so closer phobic,, and there’s the other thing of putting things away, although it’s a four berth, two and one grand child is enough, but as they get bigger no way,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts