wanted good stop over campsite c. 100km from Calais

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, any advice on a campiste south of Calais - we'll be heading to/from the Aveyron - Millau area and would liek to be about 100km from calais ... many thanks, Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Scottishlass, I agree with petercoachman on the route, have a look at the viamichelin site, it will give you the best route, probably as suggested. I have used this route and found traffic quite light.

You also ask for stopovers, to be honest we never prebook overnights as quite often factors will cut in to affect traffic flow, ferry is delayed etc and you cannot guarantee where you will be at a specific time. What we do is when we feel ready to stop is pull off the autoroute and ask the booth operator in a mixture of broken English and French, or travel to the nearest town. We have never had a problem yet, we have always found a site, some excellent, some not so good but have coped for one night, they are always signed. Good luck.

G

You have mentioned when you are travelling. Is it summer next year, or soon? If the latter then check carefully as a lot of sites are obviously closed. If it is summer then the Caravan Club European guide lists a lot of sites within the area you are looking at. If it just a stopover then the excellence of the facilities is of less importance. We have used a site at Abbeville several times. It is basic but quite good, and very friendly. Very good for seeing the St Valery bay area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Arras seems to be about 100K from Calais. There is a Municipal site at Arras open 1 April-30 Sept [8 Euros].

Camp Municipal Les Templiers, 166 Rue de Temple 62000 Arras.

Tel: 03 21 71 55 06

Have not stayed here but have never been disappointed with a French Municipal site.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think the municipal idea sounds great ... don't know why I didn't think of it ... we always used them when it was just the two of us and the little tent ... somehow with kids in tow and the van things get a bit more complicated .... Thanks to all for your replies

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While I would agree that it is not neccessary to book overnight stops (and probably not really desirable - we invariably end up getting a different ferry to the one we have booked and thus arrive over the Channel either considerably earlier or rather later than we had expected), I do think it is helpful to at least have a few options in mind. Two that we have used over the years are 'Le Vivier aux Carpes' at Seraucourt le Grand, near St Quentin and 'Au Bord de l'Aisne' at Guignicourt, just North of Reims. Both are pleasant, fairly simple sites within a few miles of the A26 and should meet your needs very nicely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts