Warning low 'ceiling' on ferry

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
We just lost the top spike off our status aerial boarding the Pont L'Abbe (Plymouth/Roskoff) and some other vans were very close to touching I checked before leaving home and we were just under the 2.6 metres limit including the spike. So beware and don't asume that because it should fit in it will.

The spike can be unscrewed giving about 50mm extra headroom. if only we had known.

happy hols,

Paul

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Watch out on this ferry. The loaders are notorious. We sailed on the Pont L'abbe a few weeks ago. The poor chap in front was beckoned forward by the loader and wedged hi caravan completley under the car deck causing some serious damage. I felt so sorry for the family who were obviously about to start there holiday with a wrecked caravan and broken roof lights.

On another note the Passport control at Plymouth is horrendously slow. Whilst I appreciate it is an important part of the security process whilst entering Britain, it took us nearly 2 hours from when the ferry docked to clearing passport control.

Unfortuantley if your in towing a caravan there is a very good chance that you will be last on and last off!

Happy Holidays!!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I don't think you can place all the slow-loading blame on passport control.

Once the ferry docks, the cars and passengers need to disembark; then the crew and cleaners need to take care of the boat; and then finally you will load.

The crew won't want people on the boat until their work has finished (or almost finished), and if there is limited parking room after passport control - you will be held before that point.

Robert

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

It wasnt the slow loading....It was trying to get off the ferry after reaching our destination!!

I can fully understand the problems faced with loading, cleaning etc before setting sail.

We were still sat on the ferry in our cars after nearly 2 hours waiting to get off and through passport control. We use this route approx twice a year but this is the first time weve had a 2 hour wait to clear Passport control.

The lady at passport control said this was now the 'norm' due to increased security checks.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
We had the same problem in Poole unloading. Luckily we were in the first 10 vans off so not much of a wait.

The guys on immigration told me that the illegalls were now finding it harder to get in via lorrys that they are now using any method open to them & that caravans are the easiest target. It doesnt take much to force a caravan door & get in.

It only took a couple of mins for them to look in the van & we were on our way, but if you were one of the last to board then you get a longer delay.

Graham W.

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Sorry it's off post but if people are smuggling themselves into England in caravans, why is there nothing about it in the caravan magazines or web forums?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You'll find that there are checks for illegals as you leave France. My partner saw someone 'dubious' lurking on the car deck, and mentioned it to a member of staff who told him to check the van before driving off the ferry - as it was known that vans had been entered whilst on the car deck. Ours was checked quite thoroughly (under bed lockers, wardrobe, cupboards, shower room, etc) by a chap with a dog. Be careful, too, using the service areas just near to any ports - don't leave the van unattended, and even if you're with it make a quick check before setting off.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Just come back from France yesterday from Zeebrugge to Hull. There a lot of caravans on board. No one checked the car boot or inside the caravan at Zeebrugge. When we got off at Hull, the car boot and caravan were not searched at all. Our passports were checked but no other security checks were done.

I wonder if things were a bit lax because the ferry was so buisy.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Just come back from France yesterday from Zeebrugge to Hull. There a lot of caravans on board. No one checked the car boot or inside the caravan at Zeebrugge. When we got off at Hull, the car boot and caravan were not searched at all. Our passports were checked but no other security checks were done.

I wonder if things were a bit lax because the ferry was so buisy.
Thats odd because I hsve done that route a lot and they always go inside the van to check. Good idea too I dont want to provide free entry

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts