Warning!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Using an 18 volt cordless drill can disfigure you!!!!!

Packing up today and as the front of the van was only about 6 to 8 inches off the ground I had to bend down to line up the 500mm
socket bar onto the nut of the steady, got the the bar on the nut and didnt have full grip on the drill, accidently pulled the trigger
drill spun around and whacked me in the eye, small cut and now black
smiley-embarassed.gif

You have been warned!!!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see you are keeping and eye on things.
You asked for it posting it in the first place .Never mind Kev give us a wink when your eye is better .
Sir Roger .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the injury - think all the jokes have been made by now.

Injury aside, a cordless drill of 18v or even 14v has enough torque to lift the back of the caravan with the steady leg unless you set the torque ring down quite a lot. This can distort the rear of the van sufficiently to crack hinges on lockers and do all sorts of damage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sor

Sorry Kev.

One eyed and legless is even too far for a Woosie King..
Save it for next month.

Good job you didn't break your wrist!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sor

Sorry Kev.

One eyed and legless is even too far for a Woosie King..
Save it for next month.

Good job you didn't break your wrist!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Lucky you weren't posting from A&E. Some folks are not safe with power tools. Do you remember that chap that went through a gas pipe with some circular saw.
smiley-wink.gif

Seriously, glad you are Ok
mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Nice to see you are keeping and eye on things.
You asked for it posting it in the first place .Never mind Kev give us a wink when your eye is better .
Sir Roger .

Now then Sir Roger, this was posted in the interest of Elf & Safety for fellow forumites.
smiley-smile.gif

We all take every day routines in our stride and you dont expect something like this to happen when you have done it a thousand times before, so before you get your drill out the next time ensure you have a risk assessment and method statement in place
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

One thing it has done is improve my looks, I dont have to wear eye shadow anymore,
IMG_1293_zps45d95734.jpg

smiley-kiss.gif
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-kiss.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ray S said:
Sorry to hear about the injury - think all the jokes have been made by now.

Injury aside, a cordless drill of 18v or even 14v has enough torque to lift the back of the caravan with the steady leg unless you set the torque ring down quite a lot. This can distort the rear of the van sufficiently to crack hinges on lockers and do all sorts of damage.

Hi Ray you are quite right and yes the torque is right down but I dont even let it kick in before I slow it down as it is nearing the ground
I take the speed right down when it nearly touches the ground and take it easy for the final bit.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I passed Mrs Gozza the drill thingy and asked her to wind the back legs up while I sorted out the hitch lock and things at the front. Unfortunately in the handover, I knocked the reverse switch on the drill so she was trying to wind the legs further down. She got a kick-back which hurt her wrist badly enough that she was in pain all weekend.
So I agree with all the comments made!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts