warranty work

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
We are looking to buy our first brand new van. We have a choice of 2 dealers. One is 20 minutes from our house but is £200 more expensive than the other who is 90 miles from our house. Is it worth saving the money as we may have endless trips down for warranty work or is it just a myth that new caravans have endless amounts of niggles that need sorted. I know it is not a lot of money but it is better in our pocket. Can anyone give some advice. Dealer close to home not willing to match the other.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
A bit more detail

I would try a phone call something along the lines of

"niceties.....If you could throw in a free service, I would come down and sign paperwork at first opportunity with you personally" (they like to know they will get the commision).

If they are still not moving ask them if they would do warranty work on any van, even one they have not supplied and after their answer repeat the fist sentence.

Make up your mind before the conversation whether you are prepared to walk away from the deal and if you are and you do not get what you want give them your phone number and tell them you will be going to the other dealer the following weekend.

Always be friendly and polite even if that seems to clash with what you are asking, if you get someones back up they will not want to give you their best deal.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Thanks guys

What kind of free service could we ask for. Not sure what is involved with buying a new caravan so not sure what we would get and what would cost us.

Thanks

Carolyn

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
You need to ask their service department and check the first service is not included.

I would start off with asking for free parts and labour although you might have to drop the parts bit during negotiation.

Other things you could ask for - BBQ point or awning heater outlet - costs them pennies but saves you a lot more.

They have to be prepared to offer you something to swing the deal - they are salesman!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carolyn,

Be straight with the sales person and say if you can match their quote I am prepared to sign on the dotted line,if they don't agree let them sweat and leave them your number. If its a Bailey you don,t have to get it serviced with them as Baily state that as long as its a National Caravan Certified (NCC Approved)Workshop and they follow the Bailey servicing schedule there is no problem on the warrenty (I have this in writeing from Baily) Also look at they should get your service and accessory business in the future which is worth money to them, if they say I need to talk to my boss just say I want to speak to their boss. Usually it has the right effect as if their boss takes over the sale they don't get their commision. Dealers usually worl to a 20% mark up and have some lee way. Also if you are not trading in this is worth a lot.

Rob

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I negotiated an exta 3 pin plug in the front window, an extra set of cushions, detachable carpets, an extra wet locker to store the BBQ in and a pole across the top of the shower cubicle to hang coathangers on.

I would buy local if you can. Ask if they service vans that they haven't sold. You will be fed up of that 90 mile journey pretty soon.

I think I probably had to go back to the dealers about 10 times in the first year alone.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Try to stay local if you can, I was glad I did when I needed warranty work done ! Also as others have said, try to haggle something extra into your purchase. Even a set of Tyron Bands (which I got last time) not significant saving but being a safety item has meant discount year on year on the insurance.

Also depending on how the van is to be financed, if that was through athe dealer you may be able to negotiate a better APR from your local dealer which may save you a lot in interest payments.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

Please excuse my ignorance but what are Tyron Bands. Will be calling the dealer in the morning but dont want to sound like an idiot. Great advice from everybody, thanks.

Carolyn

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

Please excuse my ignorance but what are Tyron Bands. Will be calling the dealer in the morning but dont want to sound like an idiot. Great advice from everybody, thanks.

Carolyn
Rob it is a Bailey Carolina so that was handy to know thanks.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I negotiated an exta 3 pin plug in the front window, an extra set of cushions, detachable carpets, an extra wet locker to store the BBQ in and a pole across the top of the shower cubicle to hang coathangers on.

I would buy local if you can. Ask if they service vans that they haven't sold. You will be fed up of that 90 mile journey pretty soon.

I think I probably had to go back to the dealers about 10 times in the first year alone.
I forgot the Tyron bands were fitted too !

Actually, the salesman was "replaced a month or two later, perhaps we got too good a deal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carolyn,

I have it from a caravan dealer service agent, you are not required to have the Caravan serviced by the selling company, but you must have it serviced by an authorised registered caravan service agent. This said, any warrenty work required can NOT be carried out by the caravan service agent, it must be done by the selling agent or manufacturers authorised agent. Anyway, you may not require warranty work unless you are buying an AVONDALE!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carolyn,

Not sure which dealers you are negotiating with in the Glasgow area ( we are 8 mls north of Glasgow ) and have used Duncans of Wishaw for over 1O years now.In that time we have always been treated with courtesy and we have had no problems with the service dept.

Hope you are successful with your purchase.

Maureen.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Carolyn,

Not sure which dealers you are negotiating with in the Glasgow area ( we are 8 mls north of Glasgow ) and have used Duncans of Wishaw for over 1O years now.In that time we have always been treated with courtesy and we have had no problems with the service dept.

Hope you are successful with your purchase.

Maureen.
Lady Maureen

It is Duncans that we have made a deal with. They were not the cheapest but we did get it at just

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Carolyn,

You and Lady Maureen have made an excellent choice in buying from Duncans of Wishaw - it may even have been my "adopted" nephew, Kenneth, who was your salesman.

Duncans are just three miles from my home in Carluke but, a little further away, is another company I would highly recommend and that is Knowepark Caravans near Livingston just off the M8. We have dealt with them for more than thirty years and, in fact, I'll be taking the van over there on Friday to have accident damage repaired.

Duncans have an excellent accessory shop as does Knowepark with a slightly larger one.

Rob S.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carolyn,

If you don't want to go too far for your first trip.....Craigie Gardens at Ayr is open and also Melrose and Edinburgh.These are all Caravan Club sites but welcome non members.

Our son and his family used a Bailey Carolina this year and loved it.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lady Maureen

Thanks for the recommendations. We have looked into joining the caravan club. They sent us a book of their sites and another that looks quite nice is Blair drummond and they are also open for most of the year. I am chomping at the bit to get the new caravan and our girls are very excited as well. They have yet to see the caravan as it was just my husband and I who went to carlisle to see it.

Thanks

Carolyn

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lady Maureen

Thanks for the recommendations. We have looked into joining the caravan club. They sent us a book of their sites and another that looks quite nice is Blair drummond and they are also open for most of the year. I am chomping at the bit to get the new caravan and our girls are very excited as well. They have yet to see the caravan as it was just my husband and I who went to carlisle to see it.

Thanks

Carolyn
Rob

It was not Kenny we dealt with but we have spoken to him he was very polite and helpful.

Carolyn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts