Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
I’ve just secured a seasonal pitch in Somerset for 2022 but after reading the reviews, there’s a few people saying the site has a big wasp problem and I’m terrified of the things, so any tips on how to keep them out of the awning and van and preferably away from me lol. Thanks

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
They have these in garden centre and this one on Amazon for 7.99. Supposed to trick the beasties into thinking there is already a nest. So called 'Waspinator'.1635181398561.png

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You probably can’t stop them coming into the awning, but keeping rubbish and food stuffs covered ( especially sweet stuff) will reduce numbers. We have one of those rechargeable electronic tennis racquet things that you can swat and kill them with. Called a wasp zapper or something similar.
You may find it is not as bad as people suggest. I would also ask the site owners what they are doing to manage the problem.
mel

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Common wasps don't reuse their nests, so whilst this year a spot may have an issue, the new crop of queens will find somewhere else for next year.

Hopefully, not too close to your seasonal.

Timing is important as it is not till late summer early autumn, they change from being insect carnivores to seeking a sugary diet, and hence become an increased issue to us.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Grand Mother’s cure were a few strategically placed jam jars , holes in the tops , to attract the wasps. Worked a treat.Obviously jam residue still in the jars

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jammie and wasp sarnies....yummeeee☺
Don’t jest if we all ate portions of insects the carbon dioxide saved by not eating ruminants helps a lot to counter global warming. Done my bit when I worked in Australia at a national day BBQ. Ate grubs and consumed carbon dioxide captured in beer. Then out came the steaks ……..

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 18, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone, some great tips on here, I shall be trying them out and if you’re out and about in Bridgewater which is where we’ve got our pitch, look out for the screaming mad woman waving her arms because that what I’m like if a wasp starts buzzing around me 😂

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone, some great tips on here, I shall be trying them out and if you’re out and about in Bridgewater which is where we’ve got our pitch, look out for the screaming mad woman waving her arms because that what I’m like if a wasp starts buzzing around me 😂
I'm told by SWMBO that waving your arms around is one of the worst things to do with wasps as it agitates them even more - just move away quietly - I know that's difficult as I too have a wasp-phobia!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts