Waste pipe plumbing - poor design

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I have to say, we are all coming from different levels of expectations and totally agree with JCloughie about alikening this to cars.- and in terms of customer satisfaction there seem parallels-owners of Dacias seem happier than those of top range Audis or BMWs perhaps-more to go wrong maybe?Or higher expectations so if things aren't quite up to scratch dissatisfaction is greater.

I have to say though, only VERY occasionally have we ever been concerned about drainage in a caravan-and that is because we haven't had the caravan level or the fall of the land means we haven't such a good fall for the water leaving the external pipe to the waste rather than backing up in the van itself.

I am of the view that caravan content/capability never ceases to amaze me-what they provide for the money beggars belief-in a house that you pay far more you don't have the choice with your water/central heating system-battery gas or mains , nor the fridge-they are mini miracles packing so much that I am just very happy to be able to own one we absolutely love and enjoy. If i spot an improvement this van is a keeper we think so yes, I'd do it- but at the mo we
love the colour scheme
find the seats very comfy
love the fridge-it's size and capabilty, and the oven
love the onboard tank and pump provision for hot and cold water-we have a good shower when we are on 'fully catered for ' sites-and only economise if on the aquaroll,
and a lovely mattress which we sleep better on than in the house-it really is our luxury hotel on wheels so am in the happy camp and won't be modding it.

And yes-am the same with cars-I buy the car I like -don't generally mod a car!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have to say, we are all coming from different levels of expectations and totally agree with JCloughie about alikening this to cars.- and in terms of customer satisfaction there seem parallels-owners of Dacias seem happier than those of top range Audis or BMWs perhaps-more to go wrong maybe?Or higher expectations so if things aren't quite up to scratch dissatisfaction is greater.

I have to say though, only VERY occasionally have we ever been concerned about drainage in a caravan-and that is because we haven't had the caravan level or the fall of the land means we haven't such a good fall for the water leaving the external pipe to the waste rather than backing up in the van itself.

I am of the view that caravan content/capability never ceases to amaze me-what they provide for the money beggars belief-in a house that you pay far more you don't have the choice with your water/central heating system-battery gas or mains , nor the fridge-they are mini miracles packing so much that I am just very happy to be able to own one we absolutely love and enjoy. If i spot an improvement this van is a keeper we think so yes, I'd do it- but at the mo we
love the colour scheme
find the seats very comfy
love the fridge-it's size and capabilty, and the oven
love the onboard tank and pump provision for hot and cold water-we have a good shower when we are on 'fully catered for ' sites-and only economise if on the aquaroll,
and a lovely mattress which we sleep better on than in the house-it really is our luxury hotel on wheels so am in the happy camp and won't be modding it.

And yes-am the same with cars-I buy the car I like -don't generally mod a car!

Love the optimism. I would love some of that to rub off on my pessimistic and negative other half. I keep on telling her that I will put ‘ah but’ on her grave.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
what about trying one of these HepvO traps

Introducing! It says, been around for about 20 years. But should work on a van I imagine.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As with all walks of life, quality costs time.

I generally disagree with that appraisal, as having worked I a number of businesses where "quality" was taken very seriously and with good management a quality product could be produced in virtually the same time as a poor quality product when all the costs and times were taken into account. You design quality into a product you dont inspect it out.
The end of line production rate may have been10% lower than previously but all the
product worked correctly which meant no time or money was spend on rectification or rework.

Quality is not just about the product, its about the mentality of an organisation to continually review what it does and to improve in a an organised and coherent way.

As some one has already pointed out the cost of dealing with a problem after it leaves the factory multiplies and ultimately ends up costing more.

I recall a storey where a bean counter through they could save the cost of a small washer in an earth bonding point, and instructed a buyer to change the specification of what they purchased without reference to the design team, saving the company accounts all of about £100 Six months later a problem arose in the field and the change was detected. The cost of mounting the recall and modification process cost close to £100K. and a lot of ill will.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Quality is not just about the product, its about the mentality of an organisation to continually review what it does and to improve in a an organised and coherent way.

Agreed - the concept of quality needs to be driven from the top down and instilled in all parts of the organisation. Processes for Continuous Improvement should be adopted. However, in my industry the definition of quality was 'Conformance to Requirements' and the requirements vary depending on the responsibilities of the different departments. Finance, Sales, Manufacturing, Service, Customer Support, Design an so on.... oh yes, lets not forget the end customer. In the end negotiations have to be undertaken to establish what is the most important factor and unfortunately these days with companies controlled more by the bean counters finance is prime mover.

From the consumer point of view quality usually takes on at least two aspects. Perceived quality of a product which really means the level of specification. Gold taps vs Chrome; Tungsten vs LED Lights. Quality of a product in which it fullfills its function and has a reasonable life span before breaking.

The former is mostly subjective but the later is what really irritates me these days. Items are either poorly designed (given the constraints of other factors) or have poor manufacturing/quality control processes. Yes, a Gold tap or LED light might be deemed better quality compared with a chrome tap or tungsten light but if it breaks after a few hours its not.

The consumer is not helping with the sitiuation either. More and more price seems to be a governing factor and while its not always true there is some validity to the statement 'You get what you pay for'

PS: I've invented a new name for an on line company we probably all use - Chinamazon - since whenever I search for a product there it's always coming from China. That's not to say all Chinese products are less reliable but.......

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Sadly too often we've found you don't get what you pay for though. Dvd players case in point. Panasonic so not cheap, two packed up just out of warranty. Unlucky? Not sure but no more Panasonic for us so our new TV is LG. Samsung have been great in the past but wanted oled. And for eg our shower. Bought mega cheap b nq own make, took the cover off to fit and lo and behold it's a mira costing double the price. Very happy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts