Water Heater

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have a Carver Cascade Rapide Water Heater in the van and on holiday last week the light on the water heater switch went out so no hot water,anyway when we came home I checked it out and I have power going to the heater so what can I check next.
thanks
Allan

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Speak to Gary at ARK SYSTEMS he is the expert on these.As a lot of parts are now obsolete he will tell you the problem and if spare part is still available. Phone no 07901 544431.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......first check that the overheat cut out has not tripped.
To do this you need to push in the red button which is to be found on the inside end of the heater
(the opposite end than that attached to the side of the caravan)

G

errr! it's electrical ARC not out the Ark!!...
..although I sometimes wonder?! LOL

I'd start with Gaffers suggestion first, but you don't say if your using mains electric water heating or gas?

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
gary said:
errr! it's electrical ARC not out the Ark!!...
..although I sometimes wonder?! LOL

I'd start with Gaffers suggestion first, but you don't say if your using mains electric water heating or gas?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry Gary slip of finger ,senior moment.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garry, can you help me with this problem perhaps I didnt explain myself properly, the water heater was on electric hook up and one day I noticed that the light on the switch was out and the water was cold, first thing I checked was the reset button so when I came home from holiday I checked out the electrics and I have power at the swich and at the heater so what I want to know is there anything else I can check before I buy a new heater.
Thanks
Allan

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......the next thing to check is the thermostat which is under the cover that houses the overheat trip switch (red button).
Remember you are dealing with 240 volt mains electrics here......take care!

531116.jpg

This is what the thermostat looks like

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys spoke to Gary on the phone so have a few things to check but as you say Gafferbill I am dealing with 240v so I think I will wait for my son to check it out when he comes back from holiday
Allan

G

Very sensible Allan, however, all the tests I suggested with the multimeter were without mains connected to the van. Also, rewiring the switch, to check the fuse holder is not at fault, can be done while disconnected from mains and then reconnected to test when your hands are well out of the way.
I'll also add, the switches wiring needs checking, last one I did with a very similar problem, turned out to be a replacement switch had the neutral wire in the switch badly connected, ie, the screw was clamping the insulation!

PS, Birdman, no worries and your not alone, even my bank excepts cheques made out to ARK?!
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
Gary,
Thanks for the information you gave my son on the phone about my water heater, he dicovered that the 240v cable from the plug in system to the water heater switch was the problem when he tested the output at the heater there was no power between Live And Neutral but when he tested between the live and earth there was power, he traced the cable to the Plug in Systems box, and removed the plug still no power but when he replaced the plug everything worked,he thinks that removing the plug and refitting it might have reset it, anyway the heater is now working again so thanks for your help.
allan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts