Water inlet cover/flap

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
We have a 2017 Swift Fairway 565 and on our last trip out in Oct 2018 went to open the water inlet cover/flap to connect the hose and it just snapped off at the hinges, would be interested if anyone else has had this problem prior to adding it to our list of problems prior to this years service.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The very same thing happened to us last week! We have a 2015 Valencia. Ordered a new flap off eBay for £5 odd. Came today.
Snag is to get it on you have to unscrew the pump surround, clean off the mastic, prise off the old hinge, replace flap, remastic and screw surround back in.
For most people this would be easy. We are totally cack handed and DIY stands for destroy it yourself. We will have a go though. ( must keep number of mobile caravan technician handy) :(

If anyone has done this job and has some hints for the “practically challenged”; we would love to hear them.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It happened to us on a previous caravan. I never replaced it and when the caravan was traded in the dealer just accepted it. Possibly not the best idea for keeping the area clean but nothing happened to us.

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
We've had several break over the years; IMHO the plastic is too brittle for the intended use. I now ensure the flap has sufficient silicon grease on the moving parts because I'm convinced it's the friction (you often hear a squeal when you open the flap) between the plastic parts which causes the problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
mogarage said:
We've had several break over the years; IMHO the plastic is too brittle for the intended use. I now ensure the flap has sufficient silicon grease on the moving parts because I'm convinced it's the friction (you often hear a squeal when you open the flap) between the plastic parts which causes the problem.

Then with lub the flap bows in the wind and gives an annoying rattle. So out comes the duct tape.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Never mind all this talk of duct tape. :) What I need to know is what is the best way to get the old mastic off, and what mastic do I reseal with.
Thanks
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Never mind all this talk of duct tape. :) What I need to know is what is the best way to get the old mastic off, and what mastic do I reseal with.
Thanks
Mel

White spirit should work then clean with meths before applying new mastic.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Mel said:
Thanks
Mel

Try this MEl, just go easy so as not to gouge the substrate, https://www.toolstation.com/window-scraper/p53477?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2LXKqcHh3wIVwud3Ch1_aAuxEAQYAiABEgKUb_D_BwE

Once you have removed all the residue of the old sealant then white spirit and a sponge scourer (the one you probably use for doing the dishes) should finish it nicely.

I don't want to contradict otherclive, but white spirit is a powerful solvent and should do a really good surface preparation job, if the cleaned surface is smooth and looks clean then I don't think meths is necessary.

You also don't need a 'joint' sealer', so this should do nicely to fix the new flap cover:
https://www.toolstation.com/premium-universal-acrylic-sealant/p66598?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tSl4sHh3wIVC7DtCh0k4QgWEAQYAiABEgJZP_D_BwE

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Mel[/quote]
We are totally cack handed and DIY stands for destroy it yourself. We will have a go though. ( must keep number of mobile caravan technician handy) :(

If anyone has done this job and has some hints for the “practically challenged”; we would love to hear them.
[/quote]

Hi Mel
I use these when removing most things that have been stuck down with sealant, they are tough and most of all will not damage the paint work when removing the sealant, use one in each side to help tease the housing out without breaking it.

Then use the end of one to scrape the old sealant off.

I would use this to re seal the housing when you replace the flap, because at a later date if it gets damaged again this sealant will come away easily.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sproket said:
We are totally cack handed and DIY stands for destroy it yourself. We will have a go though. ( must keep number of mobile caravan technician handy) :(

[/quote]

Hi Mel
I use these when removing most things that have been stuck down with sealant, they are tough and most of all will not damage the paint work when removing the sealant, use one in each side to help tease the housing out without breaking it.

Then use the end of one to scrape the old sealant off.

I would use this to re seal the housing when you replace the flap, because at a later date if it gets damaged again this sealant will come away easily.[/quote]

I used a similar set of plastic chisels to remove a conformal guard on a rear bumper. It was held on by 3M “permanent” adhesive tape. Took some prising off but the paintwork was undamaged.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Mel,

If we get together for a Spring meet, I will fit it for you.

No need for tools as I have them already, just bring the new flapcover.

Anseo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts