Water meter reading

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A modern washing machine using 14 gallons? That seems a lot. Are you sure about your figures? Conversion of litres to gallons is 4.54L = 1gallon.

Possibly more readily remembered as divide by 5, multiplied by 1.1 ??

IMO, it is WCs that predominate in water use in most households.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A modern washing machine using 14 gallons? That seems a lot. Are you sure about your figures? Conversion of litres to gallons is 4.54L = 1gallon.

We thought the same, however on checking the manufacturer states up to 65 litres on the Eco 40-60C a long wash if 9kg washing. This machine complies with all the latest Eco requirements.Washing machine consumption data.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If places like South Africa and Zimbabwe can manage droughts of up to 7 years, why can't England with abundant rainfall manage?

However on a lighter note, wife got down on her hands and knees and emptied the shelves to get the water reading. Water is sold in cubic metres so I worked out our consumption in litres and converted to gallons. Between the two of us we use an average of 40 gallons of water a day across the year. I think washing machine is the biggest culprit as per wash it can use up to 14 gallons with washes and rinses.
I suspect that a part of our problem is that there is a plethora of private supply companies and installing infrastructure to cross connect supplies between areas isn’t seen as profitable. They can’t even get on top of leakage and sewage releases so no chance of a national water grid. Easier to charge consumers. Saying that there are some basic interconnection routes using rivers and canals but that limits were you can distribute the water. I recall before privatisation Leicester and other LA predicted future water shortages and a large pipeline was introduced to route water from Derbyshire through to a reservoir near to Leicester. Even then the Nimbies sought to stop it as it’s latter part went through an area of beauty in Bradgate Park and Charnwood Forest. They failed to stop it and within a short time if installation you couldn’t see it’s route.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suspect that a part of our problem is that there is a plethora of private supply companies and installing infrastructure to cross connect supplies between areas isn’t seen as profitable. They can’t even get on top of leakage and sewage releases so no chance of a national water grid. Easier to charge consumers. Saying that there are some basic interconnection routes using rivers and canals but that limits were you can distribute the water. I recall before privatisation Leicester predicted future water shortages and a large pipeline was introduced to route water from Derbyshire through to a reservoir near to Leicester. Even then the Nimbies sought to stop it as it’s latter part went through an area of beauty in Bradgate Park and Charnwood Forest. They failed to stop it and within a short time if installation you couldn’t see it’s route.
I may be wrong, but I am sure that water supplies or management are handled by the local water board and water around the South Africa. Water was cheap and there was only one charge for consumption and not for waste and storm drains. With a swimming pool our annual water bill was about £60 in the nineties. Not much different now.
I think the kids are in for a big shock when they emigrate to the UK however they will have electric 24/7 365 days a year. No electric, no work and no income plus no water as pumps don't work without electric in many areas.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hard to see the "Eco" bit at all, with a 60C wash.
I noticed that yesterday when going through the manual again. A bit of a laugh calling it Eco. However the machine does automatically adjust the volume of water according to the weight of the wash. So a 4kg wash uses less water.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that a part of our problem is that there is a plethora of private supply companies and installing infrastructure to cross connect supplies between areas isn’t seen as profitable. They can’t even get on top of leakage and sewage releases so no chance of a national water grid. Easier to charge consumers. Saying that there are some basic interconnection routes using rivers and canals but that limits were you can distribute the water. I recall before privatisation Leicester and other LA predicted future water shortages and a large pipeline was introduced to route water from Derbyshire through to a reservoir near to Leicester. Even then the Nimbies sought to stop it as it’s latter part went through an area of beauty in Bradgate Park and Charnwood Forest. They failed to stop it and within a short time if installation you couldn’t see it’s route.

Birmingham often "exports" its water to other areas - with the demise of heavy industry, its water table is very high so is pumped into the Tame which flows into the Trent for use in the East Midlands - made easier by the surfeit of water for local use in Birmingham from the Elan Valley

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Birmingham often "exports" its water to other areas - with the demise of heavy industry, its water table is very high so is pumped into the Tame which flows into the Trent for use in the East Midlands - made easier by the surfeit of water for local use in Birmingham from the Elan Valley
Bad luck on Brum then if Wales ever becomes independent. Hostage to fortune.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It didn't need independence - effectively nationalised as part of Welsh Water without compensation for the original investment by Birmingham Corporation.

Poetic justice I guess for those who lived in the valley and were dispossessed when Birmingham compulsory purchased the area and they were forced off of their land and from their homes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our Bosch A+++ washing machine on a “standard “ wash uses 13.2 gallons of water over the whole cycle. Earlier models were very thirsty🤬

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am amazed at the quoted figures for modern washing machine water consumption. I feel certain ours is much less than that. I'll have to check when I get home!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have non smart meter it on our driveway ours is annually with Anglian water services and we pay by direct debit so far in credit

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am amazed at the quoted figures for modern washing machine water consumption. I feel certain ours is much less than that. I'll have to check when I get home!
We bought this Bosch just over a year ago. The previous Bosch lasted 18 years.
The new one has the larger capacity 9/10 kgs, links to wi fi , weird🤔🤔😁😁. Silent vibration free but still 13.2 gals standard cycle. Uses intelligent dosing , where do they get these phrases from🤪🤪. So how’s yours Prof?

Attachments

• 78BEDD11-2986-4820-BC2F-1CD2CDE260DD.jpeg
    78BEDD11-2986-4820-BC2F-1CD2CDE260DD.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One washing machine cycle uses almost as much water as we do per day when out and about in the caravan. An aquaroll holds about 8.8 gallons of water and we normally go through two barrels a day.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One washing machine cycle uses almost as much water as we do per day when out and about in the caravan. An aquaroll holds about 8.8 gallons of water and we normally go through two barrels a day.
The penalty of hand washing🤪🤪. Hutch can beat that 👏👏👏🍺🍺🍺

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We bought this Bosch just over a year ago. The previous Bosch lasted 18 years.
The new one has the larger capacity 9/10 kgs, links to wi fi , weird🤔🤔😁😁. Silent vibration free but still 13.2 gals standard cycle. Uses intelligent dosing , where do they get these phrases from🤪🤪. So how’s yours Prof?
Hi DD the last Bosch sounds amazing with how long it lasted did anything major go with it because we have Hotpoint 8kg 1600 it over 4 years old if it was not under warranty it would have been expensive because in parts it nearly a new machine now :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Only needed new brushes on the motor. It washed very well but used loads more water and washing powder etc than the latest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts