Water Pressure Switch

Jun 29, 2019
Visit site
Every single trip out in the van I have to adjust the pressure switch to get it turning off correctly - it's driving me absolutely nuts.
Bought the van 11 months ago, been away about 20 times and it's the same every single time!
Is this normal or could it be faulty?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on the type of switch and also the battery power or power supply output.
It is not unusual to have to adjust at times.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are on our second Quasar and neither have needed that much adjustment. The last one did have the odd time when it needed it, but that is all. Not sure you could call it faulty however, but you could try asking the dealer to replace it.
I assume that there is nothing being carried in the area that might be knocking it when moving, as it sounds to be moving from its setting. You could try taping it in position once you have it right to see if it is moving out of its setting when you are traveling.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
You will have to adjust each time you move from 12v to 230v and vice versa. If you remain on one voltage, it should not be necessary to adjust every time, just occasionally. Having adjusted it, does the pump kick in unexpectedly when the water system has not been used? If so, check for leaks.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello Chrisn7,
I don't understand your post,what do you mean "move from 12V to 230V and vice versa",I thought the water pump system only operated on one voltage - 12V dc.

Jun 29, 2019
Visit site
I'm struggling to see how voltage variation should change things, although I have heard this explanation before.
I'm guessing it works by a diaphragm moving when water pressure drops, which operates a switch powering the pump?
In which case, really, the voltage just has to be switched to the switch - as long as that voltage is enough to power the pump I wouldn't have thought the actual value mattered?

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I also have this problem.

When on a mains supply the voltage at the battery tends towards the higher rate, say 13.8volts. When on battery supply it can drop down to around 12.5 volt.

Therefore I think that the voltage received by the pump varies according to the prime supply, this in turn alters the water pressure created by the pump, so that the pressure switch needs to be adjusted to compensate.

Rather annoying until you realise why it is happening and get used to making a slight adjustment.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You should not have to change the settings when on either EHU or on caravan battery power. Not everyone could do the adjustments.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
You should not have to change the settings when on either EHU or on caravan battery power. Not everyone could do the adjustments.

Periodically I had to readjust the pressure switch on my 2005 Bailey Series 5 even when it was primarily used on EHU. I put it down to a switch overly sensitive to variations in site supply voltage. Once you have done it once it becomes second nature.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
EH52ARH said:

I quite agree, but neighbourly help is usually at hand, and it is an infrequent requirement.

Jun 29, 2019
Visit site
But the pressure switch is just a switch, on or off, at the same pressure point ..... this is why I don't understand the voltage explanation?

Had the van serviced today, the Engineer said that my pump is too powerful and has probably damaged the balloon in the damper????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MrRee said:
But the pressure switch is just a switch, on or off, at the same pressure point ..... this is why I don't understand the voltage explanation?

Had the van serviced today, the Engineer said that my pump is too powerful and has probably damaged the balloon in the damper????

The peak pressure a pump will produce is determined by the supply voltage. If you run on battery alone, as the battery discharges the voltage will drop. When yo have mains power the battery charger will lift the voltage, and these voltage changes will change the pumps performance. Whilst this is certainly true, it may not be the only cause of your difficulties.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem earlier in the week, carried out a search on here and just didn't find this post? Anyway, I too find going on grid to off grid, after 2 or 3 days even using the solar panel, I have to tweak the pressure switch? Can someone say in which direction should it be turned when coming off 230v to battery power ie: anti or clockwise? I have to screw out anti clock quite a number of turns half a turn at a time?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just rechecked my hand books, I have the Truma ultra flow pressure switch, which once set between , at 10 volts to 13.8 volt needs no more settings . Every time you disconnect 12 volt power to the caravan and reconnnect this switch has "AI" to know the settings.

Not sure about that but going of grid I never have had to reset water pressure switch pressures. Maybe I have a Wednesday Caravan fitted with Wednesday produced components

Why did I say that. :eek:hmy: .

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
I had the same problem earlier in the week, carried out a search on here and just didn't find this post? Anyway, I too find going on grid to off grid, after 2 or 3 days even using the solar panel, I have to tweak the pressure switch? Can someone say in which direction should it be turned when coming off 230v to battery power ie: anti or clockwise? I have to screw out anti clock quite a number of turns half a turn at a time?

I keep this PDF file on my phone if I need a reminder :blush:

https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/WhaleAdjustingyourpressureswitchb.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts