Water Pump- Excessively Noisy ? S5 Wyoming

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Just back from our first week away in Wet and Windy Cornwall :)

Our Wyoming is everything I hoped it would be- except for the onboard water pump.

Its a Smartflo 0814 and when in use, its suffering from what I would call "water hammer" - it doesn't matter whether hot/cold inboard tank/aquaroll or filling the onboard from the 'roll -its noisy all the time.

I thought it should be silent(ish)?

It is securely fitted and the pipes are not vibrating, any thoughts ?

Cheers

Nick

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Had the same experience with the internal pump in our series 5 Indiana, sounded like a helicopter landing in the next pitch.

By all reports these pumps do sound noisy in comparison to the external type that goes inside the aquaroll.

I contacted the pump manufacturer by email via their website and got back some advice which did help but by no means meant silent running. Their advice was slightly different as to what was in the Bailey handbook.

Have pump switched off, fill aquaroll (or whatever), insert filter and pipe, fully open kitchen sink water tap in Hot position then switch on the pump. Leave until all air expelled from tap then turn to Cold setting. Repeat with other taps.

It did make a difference but still noisier than I had expected.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Had the same experience with the internal pump in our series 5 Indiana, sounded like a helicopter landing in the next pitch.

By all reports these pumps do sound noisy in comparison to the external type that goes inside the aquaroll.

I contacted the pump manufacturer by email via their website and got back some advice which did help but by no means meant silent running. Their advice was slightly different as to what was in the Bailey handbook.

Have pump switched off, fill aquaroll (or whatever), insert filter and pipe, fully open kitchen sink water tap in Hot position then switch on the pump. Leave until all air expelled from tap then turn to Cold setting. Repeat with other taps.

It did make a difference but still noisier than I had expected.
Should read - leave until all air expelled and continuous flow of water evident then switch to Cold. Sorry

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Our pump does the same if the tap is switched on slightly. If we open the tap to give more flow this seems the stop the pump from cuting in and out. Wether the microswitch on the taps is not fully making I don't know, but it does it on all taps

Regards

Ian

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Nick, this is quite a common problem with Bailey water pumps(Whale). If you phone Kelly at Bailey she will send you some softer rubber feet to mount the pump on. It does not make the pump silent but it made ours loads better.

Graeme.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
The main reason for the noise is due to air being sucked-in, usually at the connection on the side of the 'van. Make sure the two O rings are in place (on the male part of the connection), that the connection is pushed fully home, and also that the flap is dropped down onto the fitting to hold it in place.Additionally, make sure all your connections on the suction side of the pump are tight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts