Water pumps

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
.....disconnect the cross actuation bar so that you are only engaging one mover at a time.
Yep that is what we eventually did before switching to the auto engage, but it was still a pig to shift. Unfortunately arthritis and age did not help much. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You used to be able to retrofit auto engage. We had it done on our first van, because the manual actuator was such a pig. This was about 2008 ish though so don’t know if it is still possible.
Mel
Great idea Mel
I‘ll have a chat with Powrtouch. I don’t expect it will be cheap.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Great idea Mel
I‘ll have a chat with Powrtouch. I don’t expect it will be cheap.
Currently AWD Powertouch AWD motor mover is about £2000. We sold our +5 year old Powertouch motor mover for £450. It was gone within an hour of posting the advert and they collected.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
There are three common types of engagement system depending make and model.
1) Auto. Push button on remote to engage and disengage drive rollers.
2) Manual lever. This requires single movement with lever and can take quite lot strength. Especially as typically engaging both sides at once via cost link.
3) Manual wind on. Just nut (typical 19mm as per stay) which you turn multiple times with crank or battery drill. Need to monitor a coloured gauge indicator (red,yellow green) to know how far to wind In or Out. WARNING, if not enough engagement pressure is applied, slippage can happen and van could run away on slope.

Each as pros and con, with Auto being safest and easist to use.

In all three cases make sure you chock wheels before disengaging

The Caravan Nut has great video on fitting mover.
View: https://youtu.be/dCYugFsyCO0?si=GMiHfegLeEFwPNrN

I fitted auto emove version. Mechanical installation was about 2hours. Electrical took a few more hours, straight forward just takes time to do a neat job.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive, how does that work with the cross actuation kit? I thought on electric each unit was power driven to engage. ?
It‘s worth noting the oem Powrtouch wrench extends out once the socket is engaged and moved a few degrees to take up,the slack. It needs some pretty hefty weight applied even to the extended wrench to move it.
Dusty
Here is the User Manual for an early auto engage Powrtouch mover. Page 10 shows the T bar to enable manual engagement or disengagement. The previous owner of the caravan had made up an adaptor that dispensed with the T bar and which could be used with an electric drill.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty
Here is the User Manual for an early auto engage Powrtouch mover. Page 10 shows the T bar to enable manual engagement or disengagement. The previous owner of the caravan had made up an adaptor that dispensed with the T bar and which could be used with an electric drill.

Thanks Clive.
Mine is 15 years old and one of the very first models made. They did do an auto engage . Even if I could get the parts and the electric box and new hand controller I suspect it won’t be cost effective.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its also very important to ensure you keep the tyre correctly inflated. If you have a soft tyre, the mover won't provide enough pressure to maintain the rollers grip with the tyre, and it might not stop or hold on an incline.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS