Water pumps

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello, me again.

I have a quick question regarding motor movers. Following collect the caravan from Spain and getting back on English soil, which by the way was a great adventure. I want to turn to trying the motor mover on the caravan. When engaging the movers do you need a torque rench or can you just use any type of socket.

Many thanks.

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Remember the motor mover lever arm will go the full 180 ô, have it horizontal when you start. As Micky states, pull off the silver/grey cover off and spray the sliding areas with motorcycle chain grease.
I was actually just looking at the mover in the services and can't actually see anywhere for a socket to go. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Looks like it is an automatic, so should engage from the remote handset. I have no experience of these, someone should be able to help. But a good spray around with WD 40 and then some chain lube or oil will help the unit to slide.
Thanks Hutch, appreciate your help. I'll try it when I get to storage.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That is the automated version; one though I knew two friends suffered engagement motor failure with their units.
These I recall were replaced under warranty . After which I don't recall they had further issues.

I also recall though without any details these had a manual over-ride to be able to wind them on and off in case of actuator failure. I think it was a rather tedious slow winding process.
Owners of these will know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caravan newbie
Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
That is the automated version; one though I knew two friends suffered engagement motor failure with their units.
These I recall were replaced under warranty . After which I don't recall they had further issues.

I also recall though without any details these had a manual over-ride to be able to wind them on and off in case of actuator failure. I think it was a rather tedious slow winding process.
Thanks JT,

This are unfortunately pretty old so would imagine there is no warranty. I keep my fingers crossed they work. I'm told they worked 4 years ago. 😂

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a general comment, I a little concerned at your reference to "Torque Wrenches" Torque wrenches are a measurement tool and should only be used to set the "torque" of fasteners.

They should not be used for general tightening or other actions otherwise their setting accuracy can be affected.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

You could get an adaptor tool that goes into an electric drill to allow the manual override to be used. Similar to using a drill setting the steadies.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
You could get an adaptor tool that goes into an electric drill to allow the manual override to be used. Similar to using a drill setting the steadies.
Not questioning your advice but genuinely confused.

Our last van had the Powrtouch Manual movers and were always fine.

However, to engage the mover required quite a hefty yank on the engage handle. We had an extendable handle which gave greater leverage but still required quite a pull to engage. I would have expected a drill to literally torque itself out of your hands - with the possibility of physical damage!

Does the "adaptor tool reduce the torque?" so the drill can be easily held?

For future reference, if this is the case, I would appreciate a link to this "adaptor"

Reactions: Ferrodo
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My reply was related to the Evolution type mover where on occasions there may be a need to manually apply or retract the rollers. Re post #12
For the Powrtouch classic manual I just used an extending wrench like yourself.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive, how does that work with the cross actuation kit? I thought on electric each unit was power driven to engage. ?
It‘s worth noting the oem Powrtouch wrench extends out once the socket is engaged and moved a few degrees to take up,the slack. It needs some pretty hefty weight applied even to the extended wrench to move it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not questioning your advice but genuinely confused.

Johnb; there was an adaption of the earliest Powrtouches, [now known in its manual original incarnation as their "Classic"] to instead of having the over-centre manual engagement, to have electrical actuators, one on each, to do the engagement on off role.

Looking at post #9 we can clearly see this adaption is fitted to his mover. The actuators were mounted something like an afterthought on a latticed space frame bolted to each side of the main body.

Looking in more detail, to me it looks like bottom left is a small motor, driving an overhead positioned lead screw of sorts, via a transfer gear or chain in the enclosure to its hard left.

Further, it looks if the motor of this actuator might have an extended shaft, presumably so in need we can wind it manually, when this means of motorised actuation fails. {as I know some did]

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive, how does that work with the cross actuation kit? I thought on electric each unit was power driven to engage. ?
It‘s worth noting the oem Powrtouch wrench extends out once the socket is engaged and moved a few degrees to take up,the slack. It needs some pretty hefty weight applied even to the extended wrench to move it.
My most recent Powrtouch was what is now Classic. Fitted in 2017 but did not come with an extending wrench, I purchased that seperately. Cannot recall the details of the “Evolution” which came fitted to a 2008/9 French Trigano caravan. But the seller gave me what he said was an adaptor to aid manual engagement if required.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had the cross actuation on a previous caravan, but it was very difficult to use as considerable force was required. On our current caravan we had the auto engage AWD motor mover fitted which makes it very easy to engage the motor mover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin_E
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just a general comment, I a little concerned at your reference to "Torque Wrenches" Torque wrenches are a measurement tool and should only be used to set the "torque" of fasteners.

They should not be used for general tightening or other actions otherwise their setting accuracy can be affected.

I am a little puzzled by this comment? When tightening up the bolts on the wheels I have used the torque wrench from start to end. I always assumed that this was the correct procedure? I have not had any need to use it for anything else.

Just to add, to loosen the bolts I use the sort of "L shape" bar and tap it with the lump hammer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We had th4 cross actuation on a previous caravan, but it was very difficult to use as considerable force was required. On our current caravan we had the auto engage AWD motor mover fitted which makes it very easy to engage the motor mover.
Sadly the auto engage was too expensive at the time of our purchase.The manual with cross actuation is hard work these days! As far as I know you can’t retro fit auto engage. Knee pads are still,performing well!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sadly the auto engage was too expensive at the time of our purchase.The manual with cross actuation is hard work these days! As far as I know you can’t retro fit auto engage. Knee pads are still,performing well!

You used to be able to retrofit auto engage. We had it done on our first van, because the manual actuator was such a pig. This was about 2008 ish though so don’t know if it is still possible.
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS