way out in the wilds

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
I would like to take my van out into the middle of nowhere with a full aquaroll and a little generator and have a weekend of total peace, is it possible to do this anywhere in the UK? if not what is the closest I can get to that?

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Richard

We have lots of lovely CLs & CSs here in Norfolk. Many of them are well off the beaten track. We can always find a nice quiet and peaceful site if we want that sort of weekend.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Richard try cc cl site page 293 05/06 site book

mrs p m cooper

upper hawthwaite farm

broughton in furness,

cumbria

tele 01229 716270

this place is about as near as the middle of nowhere you can get, you can sit and enjoy the scenery or get the boots on and walk for miles and hardly see a soul, good luck and let us know how you get on. Tony A.

Jun 3, 2005
Visit site
Try Ireland. Cls and CSs in England are being destroyed by too much publicity, too many articles, web threads, generators, and general bad behaviour in my view. IMHO of course.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Try Ireland. Cls and CSs in England are being destroyed by too much publicity, too many articles, web threads, generators, and general bad behaviour in my view. IMHO of course.
No not true.

There are still some lovely unspoilt places here in the UK its just knowing where to look, and if you find one.....don't tell anybody else!!!

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Your question poses a problem

"I would like to take my van out into the middle of nowhere with a full aquaroll and a little generator and have a weekend of total peace, is it possible to do this anywhere in the UK?"

I too would like to have a weekend of total peace Unfortunatly it is becoming nearly impossible as the total peace is shattered when some one turns up with a little generator. Do you really need to take a generator away with you for a week end?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard H

CL is a Caravan club abreviation for Certificated Locations.

CS is the Caravan & Camping Club's equivilant Certified Sites.

Both mean that they are licenced by the local authority to cater for no more than 5 units at any one time. This usually ensures a fairly peaceful stay. hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum by the way & hope you enjoy your caravanning.

Gooner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Richard,

You're right - CC Caravan Club, C&CC - Caravan and Camping Club,

CL - Certified Location and CS - Certified Site.

To use a CL you need to join the Caravan Club and CS the C&CC.

Just to put you in the picture, these are 5 'van sites, some have just a water tap and loo emptying point, others have the luxury of EHU.

My advice would be to join at least one of the clubs, you are sure to find a nice peaceful weekend somewhere.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Richard,

You're right - CC Caravan Club, C&CC - Caravan and Camping Club,

CL - Certified Location and CS - Certified Site.

To use a CL you need to join the Caravan Club and CS the C&CC.

Just to put you in the picture, these are 5 'van sites, some have just a water tap and loo emptying point, others have the luxury of EHU.

My advice would be to join at least one of the clubs, you are sure to find a nice peaceful weekend somewhere.
PS Richard - Please leave your generator at home - you can easily survive on a battery for three or four days.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
can I leave the generator at home? (havent actually bought one yet so no problem) this leads to the question of can I run a 240v TV from the caravan battery? how long will the battery last running the fridge or would it be better to run it from the gas. plus I'm sure other question will pop up, I will gladly make as little noise as possible after all I want the peace and quiet too :)

thanks for all the help so far its a great new hobby but damn theres a lot to learn

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Richard,

Yes you can watch TV on 12v, I believe you have to have an inverter - sorry I don't know much about this as we never watch TV in the 'van. Somebody will help you on this subject.

As for the fridge - 12v is used when towing only, when parked up you will need to switch onto gas.

As I said in a previous posting, you would easily expect to survive on a battery for a good long weekend.

There really would'nt be need for a generator for a long weekend, not only that, they are noisy and should you have neighbours on a site, undoubtly you would get disapproval. IMHO can't say I would blame them.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Richard it is possible to use your caravan with out the need ever to have a generator, I used to spend 6 months of the summer living permanently in the caravan with out electric hook up or generator This is how I did it.

1) a 40 watt solar panel with voltage regulator ( about the same price as a generator but free running costs and no noise) will put to 3 amps per hour into the battery with the full sun out and you'll get 1 to 2 amps on a dull day (should be more than enough for your TV.

2) This next tip depends on how your 12s plug has been wired

If it has been wired up with a split relay you should have two 12volt supllies that operate only when the engine is running to pins 2 Blue and pin 6 Red cable.

Pin 2 Blue is the Battery charging circuit that charges the caravan battery whilst you travel.

Pin 6 Red operates the fridge whilst you travel ( it only keeps an already cold fridge cold so always either use the mains electric or gas to get it cold before traveling)once you turn the engine off both supplies are disconnected by the relay so the car battery is not flattened by the current drain to fridge and caravan battery.

If you have a split relay then connect to the blue cable in the car the red of a length of twin cable 2.5mm (red and black) connect the black to the car body earth and at the other end connect a polarity socket ( one that will only go in one way so you can not reverse the connection) with a matching plug. Connect another length of the same cable to the plug making sure you keep red to red, black to black. On the end of this connect a crockadile clip to the black, on the red connect an in line 15 amp fuse then a short length of the same cable to a crockadile clip. You will need a second battery and battery box you then connect the crockadile clips to the battery, red to + positive, Black to - negative of the battery. Always have the polarity socket is disconnected when connecting up AND MAKE SURE THE PLUG PINS ARE NOY TOUCHING SOMETHING METAL THAT COULD MAKE THEM SHORT OUT.

This now means that the new spare battery in your boot will be charged up whilst your driving the car so you can swap it with the battery in your caravan when it starts to run down and the run down battery will be charging up whilst your driving.

If your 12s plug is wired so it only has the fridge pin 6 operating when the car is running you will need to connect to the Red wire as above and not the blue wire AND YOU MUST NOT HAVE THE SPARE BATTERY CHARGING WHEN YOUR TRAVELING WITH THE VAN as the fridge and battery current could be to much for the red cable.

If your going to use a 240 volt TV you will need an invert as mentioned earlier However there are some very good flat screen LCD TVs out now that run on 12 volt and 240volts I got one earler this year from Sainsburys its a 15 inch SONIX Unfortunatly for me the have just come down

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Richard it is possible to use your caravan with out the need ever to have a generator, I used to spend 6 months of the summer living permanently in the caravan with out electric hook up or generator This is how I did it.

1) a 40 watt solar panel with voltage regulator ( about the same price as a generator but free running costs and no noise) will put to 3 amps per hour into the battery with the full sun out and you'll get 1 to 2 amps on a dull day (should be more than enough for your TV.

2) This next tip depends on how your 12s plug has been wired

If it has been wired up with a split relay you should have two 12volt supllies that operate only when the engine is running to pins 2 Blue and pin 6 Red cable.

Pin 2 Blue is the Battery charging circuit that charges the caravan battery whilst you travel.

Pin 6 Red operates the fridge whilst you travel ( it only keeps an already cold fridge cold so always either use the mains electric or gas to get it cold before traveling)once you turn the engine off both supplies are disconnected by the relay so the car battery is not flattened by the current drain to fridge and caravan battery.

If you have a split relay then connect to the blue cable in the car the red of a length of twin cable 2.5mm (red and black) connect the black to the car body earth and at the other end connect a polarity socket ( one that will only go in one way so you can not reverse the connection) with a matching plug. Connect another length of the same cable to the plug making sure you keep red to red, black to black. On the end of this connect a crockadile clip to the black, on the red connect an in line 15 amp fuse then a short length of the same cable to a crockadile clip. You will need a second battery and battery box you then connect the crockadile clips to the battery, red to + positive, Black to - negative of the battery. Always have the polarity socket is disconnected when connecting up AND MAKE SURE THE PLUG PINS ARE NOY TOUCHING SOMETHING METAL THAT COULD MAKE THEM SHORT OUT.

This now means that the new spare battery in your boot will be charged up whilst your driving the car so you can swap it with the battery in your caravan when it starts to run down and the run down battery will be charging up whilst your driving.

If your 12s plug is wired so it only has the fridge pin 6 operating when the car is running you will need to connect to the Red wire as above and not the blue wire AND YOU MUST NOT HAVE THE SPARE BATTERY CHARGING WHEN YOUR TRAVELING WITH THE VAN as the fridge and battery current could be to much for the red cable.

If your going to use a 240 volt TV you will need an invert as mentioned earlier However there are some very good flat screen LCD TVs out now that run on 12 volt and 240volts I got one earler this year from Sainsburys its a 15 inch SONIX Unfortunatly for me the have just come down

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
Paul A

thanks for all that but im not rewiring anything or having wires trailing all over the place but sounds like a ovel idea

As for the rest of the advice it all says dont use a generator cause it will disturb the neighbours, the point I was making was I dont want there to be ay neighbours I want to be on my own with the no one around me, certainly no one close enough to hear a generator (or my snoring) do places like that exist in the UK?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Richard - if you do find this heaven on earth don't broadcast it as before you know it, it will end up like Blackpool or Barry Island. Good luck and enjoy it - this is one redeeming aspect of caravanning where you can escape from the ratrace.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Richard H,

I don`t know how much of a towny you are, but if I wanted a field to pitch in with a genny and a stream for water, (or a tap a distance away) I would ask a farmer,no I`m not joking, I would decide on a county, look in cl or cs books. for farm addresses, ring them and ask to stay in a field well off the beaten track,away from there cl , It might sound a bit daft , but I think if you make a few phone calls, some one is going to say yes, I would first try Mrs Cooper from my previous posting. good luck mate let us know how you get on.

Tony A.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Richard H,

I don`t know how much of a towny you are, but if I wanted a field to pitch in with a genny and a stream for water, (or a tap a distance away) I would ask a farmer,no I`m not joking, I would decide on a county, look in cl or cs books. for farm addresses, ring them and ask to stay in a field well off the beaten track,away from there cl , It might sound a bit daft , but I think if you make a few phone calls, some one is going to say yes, I would first try Mrs Cooper from my previous posting. good luck mate let us know how you get on.

Tony A.
just had a quick look in the cc site book under Cumbria/ Gosforth, Knowing the area all the first three sites are in open feilds without facilities, you would probably be on your own there. good luck, Tony A.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Sounds a good Idea TonyA but is actually against the law in England and Wales. A landower as to have planning permission to put an occupied caravan on his land unless he goes through a recognised organisation, like the Caravan club or Camping and Caravan club who can Certife his site for up to 5 caravans.

However the rules in Scotland are different where I believe a land owner can allow you to stay.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Sounds a good Idea TonyA but is actually against the law in England and Wales. A landower as to have planning permission to put an occupied caravan on his land unless he goes through a recognised organisation, like the Caravan club or Camping and Caravan club who can Certife his site for up to 5 caravans.

However the rules in Scotland are different where I believe a land owner can allow you to stay.
If you get far enough away no ones going to see you, don`t you think this big brother attitude, thou shalt not unless I say so, is a pain,it can`t be a crime, no ones getting hurt, surley if the land owner says yes wheres the problem. Personnely I`d give it a go for a week by the time some one complains the week would be over,

May 20, 2005
Visit site

The law was originally brought out to stop (i dont know the PC term) Gypsies. But only stopped law abideing Caravaners I think it was the late 60s early 70s

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I dont know which CLs dunfishin visits but they dont relate to any of the many i have visited Coljac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts