We are totally new to caravaning. We have a mercedes glc 250d mercedes say we can fit atow bar. Does anyone use this car for towia mercedes glc 250d.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Short of a Winibago a GLC250d should tow just about anything and in most cases you won't even know the trailer is there! It is rated to tow nearly 2.5tonnes and as the general advice is an engine of 40bhp/tonne of trailer weight, 204bhp is well capable.
However you do need to take care of your licence. If you passed your test in 1997 or later you will need to take the B+E extension test as you are limited to a gross train weight of 3500Kg and with the GLC taking nearly 2500Kg of that you will be towing a very small and light caravan!! If you passed in 1996 or earlier then you don't have a problem as grandparent rights rule. Having said that if you are new to caravanning and are driving a big heavy and powerful vehcile like a GLC it would be wise to take a towing course - the CMC do them regularly around the country.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Short of a Winibago a GLC250d should tow just about anything and in most cases you won't even know the trailer is there! It is rated to tow nearly 2.5tonnes and as the general advice is an engine of 40bhp/tonne of trailer weight, 204bhp is well capable.
However you do need to take care of your licence. If you passed your test in 1997 or later you will need to take the B+E extension test as you are limited to a gross train weight of 3500Kg and with the GLC taking nearly 2500Kg of that you will be towing a very small and light caravan!! If you passed in 1996 or earlier then you don't have a problem as grandparent rights rule. Having said that if you are new to caravanning and are driving a big heavy and powerful vehcile like a GLC it would be wise to take a towing course - the CMC do them regularly around the country.
Hi thanks very much for the advice. Very much appreciated and comforting. I’m very definitely a post. 1996 licence holder. I’m looking forward to a few adventures so I’ll keep you all posted. Timn

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi thanks very much for the advice. Very much appreciated and comforting. I’m very definitely a post. 1996 licence holder. I’m looking forward to a few adventures so I’ll keep you all posted. Timn
I meant I’m very much a PRE 1996 licence holder.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Be wary of Mercedes-Benz towing restrictions - some models need additional cooling which comes as standard with a factory-fit towbar but can be eye-wateringly expensive to add if an aftermarket or dealer-fit towbar is used - check with Mercedes-Benz UK directly.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have the handbook it should show the towing capacity if any. I would have thought that it did have a decent one given the spec but if you check the registration document any towing capacity should be shown there.
A quick check on the internet suggests a figure of 2,500 kg.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As an accessory itself it is not subject to mandatory approval, but fitting it can have implications to the whole vehicle and that would affect whole vehicle type approval. The vehicle and towbar manufacturers have full product liability for their products and any technical modifications that could affect their performance need to be approved by the manufacturer or else vehicle type approval is null and void.
For integrated stabilisers, manufacturers work with the levels as defined in ISO 11555-1, but there is no equivalent for blade type stabilisers.

Hitch stabilisers are part of the trailer/caravan so need to be covered by its Whole Vehicle Type Approval - but a blade stabiliser or weight distribution hitch is an accessory that fits between , so can't be subject to Whole Vehicle Type Approval.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts