We have took the caravan plunge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We ordered our first caravan last week, a baliey 5 provence

We are due to receive it in march 05, I cant wait to get it, we have never had one before not even a tent so we are complete novices to the whole thing. Any advice on any thing you can think of would be appreciated many thanks to you all.

Michelle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michelle, welcome to the best hobby there is. If you haven't towed before, make your first trip close to home, say 1 hour away. Get some wood off cuts to go under the caravan's steadies when you park it to stop them digging in to the ground. Get some longer planks about 3'x 4" to help level the van across it's width. Make sure you've got an Aquaroll for the water, and suitable waste tanks. You may need some lengths of flexible hose to connect the waste outlet to the waste tank, if not a funnel is useful. Take some basic tools with you - stanley knife, multi-tip screwdriver, pliers, gas bottle wrench/adjustable spanner, hammer/mallet for awning pegs, torch, equip the 'van with its own cutlery & crockery, corkscrew (essential!) - use melamine crockery it's lighter and more durable. Get some plastic containers and put in a supply of teabags/coffee/sugar etc.Before you go away, if the 'van can be placed on your drive, connect it to the mains and switch on the fridge to 240 volts - this will chill it down and it'll keep cool whilst you're travelling. Make sure your car's in good working order, have it serviced if need be & fill it up solo before hitching up the 'van. Petrol Stations are full of poor drivers who don't realize the space a car & 'van need to manoeuvre. Above all have a great time and don't be afraid to ask for help - we're a pretty friendly bunch!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations! You have bought an excellent van and your life will change for ever. Well, it did for us. My advice would be to take a camcorder along with you when you pick up the van and video the dealer as he/she shows you how all the bits work. It's better than notetaking. By far the best way to know your van would be to use it. I took ours straight to a local site and we still remember our first meal in the van with great affection. One thing I wouldn't do would be to take an awning. I'd leave that until you are confident in pitching your van efficiently. Finally, be prepared to ask other caravanners for help if you need it. By and large we are a sociable lot and would be only too glad to help...especially if there is a glass of wine or cold beer in it for us afterwards. Have a great time. Best wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Done Michelle & many congratulations on your purchase - As I stated to you on other threads, you will not be disappointed. Seems a long time to wait until next year to pick up the Provence - but it will be well worth it believe me. Lots of sleepless nights me thinks, as you constantly dream of your new van LOL. I would fully endorse all that people have said before re what to do and have etc - obviously you will tailor all suggestions to meet your own needs. If I can make 4 suggestions at this stage: 1) If your finances can run to it, buy a caravan mover the Powertouch is great for the Provence. We had one fitted before we picked it up. Costs around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michelle, three years ago we took delivery of our first van deciding to take the plunge after a disaterous package holiday. It has been the best purchase we have ever made and we have used the van continuously. My advice to you would be to take the van out initially with the basic essentials, gas, aquaroll, waste container, electric lead and a small tool box. Book a level pitch for your first time and just enjoy the experience. They are so many accessories you can buy that it pays to gather the experience of what you will or won't require. Also as Mike H says caravanners are a friendly bunch, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're also new to caravanning, we picked our bailey ranger up last feb'04, we have not looked back since. We've had some brilliant holidays this summer, not only were they great value for money, they were relaxing and the kids had a ball too! Best advice we would give is go on a caravanning course, my husband did and he felt far more confident as a result. Also don't be afraid to ask for help everyone we came across were more than willing to help especially as we struggled with the awning for the first time.Happy caravanning!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You might find that your dealer will offer a starter pack or discount vouchers for newcomers. Initially you can use cutlery/crockery from home and drop hints for appropriate christmas presents! You will need gas, fresh and waste containers, and it's worth buying loo fluids for waste and fresh tanks. (Does anybody use the expensive dedicated loo roll?). If you go to a club site don't be too bothered by levelling blocks etc. I made up a file on the computer with my essential packing list, then for each holiday it was a matter of checking or packing each item, from teabags to raincoats. You can develop the list to your own prefernecs. We have always used quality sleeping bags for bedding - easy to set up and roll away - with a couple of pillows from home. You can carry sealed milk cartons and a couple of meals to pack in the fridge/freezer in the van to save having to shop on arrival.

Could go on... Now when's that caravan warming party?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The best, and the safest thing you could do now you have ordered a caravan is go on a towing course - before you get it. It will give you confidence to tow and reverse, dont leave it up to your partner,impress him (and the kids if you have any).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There ought to be a law against newcommers starting out with a brand new van!!

We have been caravanning for 10 years now and are still working up through ever newer and newer secondhand vans....... current one is 1987.

Seriously though, I hope you have a lovely time and enjoy it to the full. You will have had a great start to the caravanning world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts