We Need to Replace our Tow car

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we last changed our towcar, I wanted a 4x4 but didn't want the aerodynamics of a brick that SUV's have.
We have an Audi A6 Allroad which tows very well.
Cliff
Must admit that my XC70 and Superb estate 4x4 were good tow cars and the solo drive was better than any of my SUV 4x4. The Superb’s load volume plus rear passenger space beat the Gen 3 XC70 hands down. And I am 6 ft 4 in I could comfortably sit in the rear seats with the front seat extended back.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To me with second hand finding a well looked after low mileage example is more important than the make. Then as the Prof says you have to live with it on an everyday basis so possibly any decent tow car as long as it is the one that suits your everyday use. Towing mileage is limited so provided it tows well and I think almost all SUVs do go for the one you like best.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Must admit that my XC70 and Superb estate 4x4 were good tow cars and the solo drive was better than any of my SUV 4x4. The Superb’s load volume plus rear passenger space beat the Gen 3 XC70 hands down. And I am 6 ft 4 in I could comfortably sit in the rear seats with the front seat extended back.

At 6’4” I am surprised you got in and out of your XC 70. I think the headroom in my V70 is the same. (Just the ground clearance and drive chain that is different). I am much smaller than you but one of the very few niggles I have is the door height when getting in and out.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At 6’4” I am surprised you got in and out of your XC 70. I think the headroom in my V70 is the same. (Just the ground clearance and drive chain that is different). I am much smaller than you but one of the very few niggles I have is the door height when getting in and out.

John
I had no problem whatsoever getting in and out the drivers seat went nice and low. One of my criticisms of the car is that despite being long the room even for average height rear passengers was quite tight when my drivers seat was in its normal position. The Skoda Superb was “superb” in that respect and even had a longer load bay too plus infinitely better fuel consumption. Our Kia Rio does require me to bend to avoid knocking my head but once in the headroom and front legroom is “superb++”

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had no problem whatsoever getting in and out the drivers seat went nice and low. One of my criticisms of the car is that despite being long the room even for average height rear passengers was quite tight when my drivers seat was in its normal position. The Skoda Superb was “superb” in that respect and even had a longer load bay too plus infinitely better fuel consumption. Our Kia Rio does require me to bend to avoid knocking my head but once in the headroom and front legroom is “superb++”

My issue, I think, is that my 5’7” is made up with a long body attached to disproportionate short legs.

But I do get good mpg. And a smashing tow car.

Other minor issues I have is location of the handbrake switch, and no warning light to say when the lights turn on. So on murky days I need to remember to turn them on manually to be safe.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My issue, I think, is that my 5’7” is made up with a long body attached to disproportionate short legs.

But I do get good mpg. And a smashing tow car.

Other minor issues I have is location of the handbrake switch, and no warning light to say when the lights turn on. So on murky days I need to remember to turn them on manually to be safe.

John
Agree with you about the electrical handbrake switch. A totally unergonomic location. Fuel consumption was poor. Mine was the 2.4 5 cylinder AWD auto and with only the two of us solo going to Krakow the overall consumption was just under 40 mpg mainly steady motorway driving , whereas the Superb would show 50-55 mpg and was a nicer drive too. But horses for courses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts