Welsh sites (Lost in time)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I've been very bad this year and haven't booked the summer holidays yet. As posted recently elsewhere its hard to find a site with vacancies for July/August. However it would appear that most sites in Wales are not booked up.

Can anyone tell me why this is? The area around Snowdonia looks fantastic and there seems to be plenty to keep you occupied for a couple of weeks.

I have noticed from visiting websites that a lot of sites remind me of what sites were like when I was a kid away with my parents,a little bit trapped in the 60's. And a lot of site photos are like "Weird and Wacky" from the PC mag .

I have posted in Chit Chat as I think this is more open to debate than just naming sites.

So come on guys ,Why does it appear nobody is going to Wales ?

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Brian (",)

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
hello brian,

We have been to North Wales for the last 2 years as part of our summer break. We have a 4 year old and stayed in the Colwyn Bay and Llandudno area. There's plenty to do and beaches were great for the little one if the weather was ok. When the weather was bad there was still plenty to do or a drive out of the area seemed to beat the weather!

Have to say that we stayed in a cottage though as we only got a caravan late last year.

If it wasn't for the fact that we fancied a change we would definately go again.

Joan

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Not a trick Lord B,not about the Welsh race but a genuine question as to why when it is harder and harder to find site space Welsh sites seem to be running under capacity.

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. under this section of the forum there is a heading "Lord B is in trouble". From your posting above it leaves me no alternative than to ask you to choose your weapons and venue. You have gone too far this time you cad sir. Pistols at dawn maybe .........?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian - I cannot comment on north Wales sites as I haven't been there for some considerable time. However south and west Wales generally have a very good selection of sites both commercial and club versions and are also very well patronised from early spring to late autumn. The sites are generally west of Swansea and include Gower through to Pembrokeshire and north to Aberystwyth. There are also many sites in land around mid Wales and Brecon. I think that if you were to visit south west and mid Wales you will be very pleasntly surprised as to the quality of site on offer and also the scenary of Wales. The old thoughts of Wales of being valleys and coal tips is a myth. The Rhondda valleys offer some very beautiful scenary and also some interesting places to visit, generally based on the history of the mining industry. Merthyr has its history and places of interest centred around the iron industry. Th Museum of Welsh Life at St. Fagan's, Cardiff is very interesting and set in quite a few acres of land, on a fine day this is well worth a visit. Incidently the Museums of Wales are now free to enter.

This may sound like a selling exercise for the tourist industry in Wales but I think that any person travelling into south and west Wales will be very pleasantly surprised as to what the area has to offer. Give it a go and come and see for your self the beauty of Wales.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Diolch Colin,

I haven't been to Wales for years and this year we really want to take the kids somewhere different from the usual seaside thing. I think Snowdonia fits the bill and I will be booking tomorrow for two weeks in August at Bryn Gloch Caravan Park,Betws,Caernarfon.

Now tell me, will I have to take my raincoat and wellies?

For the weather you understand.

Nos da

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately the Irish have the worst of the Atlantic weather and what they don't want they send over to Wales. The weather is the only downside to Wales regarding tourism. However we do very often have fine sunny days/weeks and there is then a no more beautiful area to visit - as the song says "We keep a welcome in the valleys, we keep a welcome in the vales, ...." Mind you we need the rain in order to supply the Liverpool, Birmingham and Severn Trent areas with clean potable water.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
While on the topic of Wales and the Welsh let me tell you a story. I used to work for an Austin main dealers in Hereford delivering spares, after being made redundant as a railway fireman. One of my calls was to a garage in Llanfoist, near Abergavenny, and emmerson will know where I mean. The storeman and fitters were as mad as I was so I always took my dinner break there with them, especially as the owner, who lived in Hereford incidentally, always dined out in Abergavenny. Every day an old boy would park his bike outside the garage and walk just down the road to the pub. One of the mechanics decided we would clear all the cars out of the workshops and then he sprayed oil and water all over the floor. After placing obstacles around the workshop we then borrowed the old boys push bike and timed each other. Lyn the storeman was winning until someone didnt like the idea, and as he passed put a broomstick through the spokes. Another days entertainment was more risky. At the rear of the garage was a disused railway line so someone had the bright idea of filling some balloons with the gas out of the acetylene tanks. They then taped a spark plug into the neck and connected the plug to some cable. They ran the cable and balloon out onto the track and covered the balloon with an empty oil drum then wired the other end of the cable to a spark plug tester. The fireworks then began. It was 5-4-3-2-1-FIRE! The drum must have taken off about 50ft into the air but the worse was the ballast off the track raining down on us. We then decided to try it in an old shed out the rear and when the tester was pressed the whole tin roof lifted by a good 9 inches and all the galvanised nails came out then we were rained down upon by burning oily rags. While planning our next escapade we heard sirens and a police car stopped at the pub down the road. The following day Lyn told me that some people had rang the police complaining that they were blasting out of hours at the quarry, heheheh! Never a dull moment, those were the days ;O) all I want now is emmerson to say he was the copper or it was his dads bike and he wants the money to repair it lmaoooo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While on the topic of Wales and the Welsh let me tell you a story. I used to work for an Austin main dealers in Hereford delivering spares, after being made redundant as a railway fireman. One of my calls was to a garage in Llanfoist, near Abergavenny, and emmerson will know where I mean. The storeman and fitters were as mad as I was so I always took my dinner break there with them, especially as the owner, who lived in Hereford incidentally, always dined out in Abergavenny. Every day an old boy would park his bike outside the garage and walk just down the road to the pub. One of the mechanics decided we would clear all the cars out of the workshops and then he sprayed oil and water all over the floor. After placing obstacles around the workshop we then borrowed the old boys push bike and timed each other. Lyn the storeman was winning until someone didnt like the idea, and as he passed put a broomstick through the spokes. Another days entertainment was more risky. At the rear of the garage was a disused railway line so someone had the bright idea of filling some balloons with the gas out of the acetylene tanks. They then taped a spark plug into the neck and connected the plug to some cable. They ran the cable and balloon out onto the track and covered the balloon with an empty oil drum then wired the other end of the cable to a spark plug tester. The fireworks then began. It was 5-4-3-2-1-FIRE! The drum must have taken off about 50ft into the air but the worse was the ballast off the track raining down on us. We then decided to try it in an old shed out the rear and when the tester was pressed the whole tin roof lifted by a good 9 inches and all the galvanised nails came out then we were rained down upon by burning oily rags. While planning our next escapade we heard sirens and a police car stopped at the pub down the road. The following day Lyn told me that some people had rang the police complaining that they were blasting out of hours at the quarry, heheheh! Never a dull moment, those were the days ;O) all I want now is emmerson to say he was the copper or it was his dads bike and he wants the money to repair it lmaoooo.
No,mate not mine! The garage, BTW is now two garages, one a vauxhall dealer and the other good quality used cars. They may be connected though. Sadly, what used to be a good village pub is now a Chinese Restaurant!.And the village now has SIX speed humps in 100 metres!

TRENDING THREADS