Weston-Super-Mare

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always thought it was something to do with the Exmoor Ponies being seen by the first Welshmen in their corricles when they landed having crossed the severn estury. When they saw the nice rounded rear ends of the ponies they coined the phrase "super mare" which compared very well to their local sheep.

Quite why the singer "nellyfartodo" is named after that famous welsh phrase "whofarted?" will probably be the stuff of similar legends to come.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to Clive's post - a bit like whorles on a horses head. In ancient times those horses were reputed to have been touched by the prophet Mohammed and chosen as special horses.

Lisa

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I always thought it was from "sur la mer" - french for on the water and had become super mare since norman times.

BUT after a bit of googling I seem to be part right part wrong.

This is from www.weston-super-mare.com.

"The name Weston is made up of two Old English or Saxon words meaning the west tun or settlement. Because there are several places called Weston in Somerset descriptions were added to tell them apart.

What is unusual about Weston-super-Mare is that the descriptive part of its name has remained in medieval Latin.

Super (with small s) means on or above, and mare is Latin for sea."

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Sorry guys, just getting nervous.

Clive mentioned earlier of the Welsh in their corricals.

Has Colin(bridge too far) finaly made good and invaded and more to the point did anyone notice.

ttfn

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Martin

About 15 mins closer than me.

I quite like WSM for the odd visit (sister lives there) but I would not holiday there.

Peak season it becomes a cross between Cardiff Arms Park and the Bullring.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Martin

About 15 mins closer than me.

I quite like WSM for the odd visit (sister lives there) but I would not holiday there.

Peak season it becomes a cross between Cardiff Arms Park and the Bullring.
Hi Garry,

It is probably 10-15 mins to the sea front on an average day, I would guess if you stayed on the outskirts of Weston, and only went once or twice so used it more of a base while on holiday it would be OK as there are lots of places to visit without travelling too far.

Martin "E"

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
When the tide is out there is mud (estuary silt) for such a distance that it is hard to see where the mud stops and the sea starts. It is the 2nd highest tidal reach in the world - I believe.

The mud starts so far out that you would probably not go for a swim even if there was no mud.

Never be tempted into the mud (some do, believe it or not) particularly at the southern end - somebody dies in the mud most years although it has improved since they have started using a hovercraft for rescues.

However, don't think this means the water or mud is unhealthy.

When I was a boy I suffered badly from eczema and my parents used to take me regularly to swim at WSM and within a day or so the rashes would all clear up totally - almost a religious experience after suffering eczema for a while.

One of my daughters gets the same problem now and it still works - we used to bring back a couple of bottles to use at home but it is never necessary.

If anyone knows why this works (salt?) I would love to know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Being a Birmingham lad, Weston is the nearest seaside resort to us so many brummies have many fond memories of sea searching, mud paddling and riding on smelly donkies.

Next to Weston you have Brean, better known as Brummigum on Sea.

Oh yes, the original question....Weston is SUPER because it now means that I am only 100 miles from home when I pass it on my way back from Cornwall

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts