What are these switches for?

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone know what these 2 switches in the photo (circled in red) are for? Neither switches have markings, words or symbols to give a clue as to what they are for.
20200613_003242.jpg

Any info would be appreciated, thank you

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
They are both 230 v mains isolator switches. Note the giveaway are the controls on their right.
Carver Cascade Rapide is your hot water heater
Carver Fanmaster is your warm air heating system.

Reactions: Jert and Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They are both 230 v mains isolator switches. Note the giveaway are the controls on their right.
Carver Cascade Rapide is your hot water heater
Carver Fanmaster is your warm air heating system.
May be worth mentioning that both have fuses in them that can be replaced after making sure that the mains is disconnected. LOL!

Reactions: Jert
Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but should they be switched on or off? Nothing seems to happen in either position, except a red light in the On position

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but should they be switched on or off? Nothing seems to happen in either position, except a red light in the On position
I think that they should be switched on if you want the room or water heaters to function. The red light shows power to the circuit. You must have similar switches in your home.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
To get the heating on press the on button on the Fan master control repeatedly until the indicator moves down to ELEC AUTO FAN with the switch on /red light on after 5 mins warm air should come from outlets. For the water heater make sure water system is fully bled on both hot and cold to make sure hot water tank is full turn on switch/isolator press on button on cascade control unit water should be hot after 30to40 mins to turn off press left button and switch off isolator /switch

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think there is a switch as it would be a bit pointless. The red light is to tell you that the fuse is still okay.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The red light tells you that it working ok
Correction the red light indicates that 230V ac is being sent to the appliance, it does not show the appliance is actually working.

Perhaps a little more explanation is needed.
Both the Carver Cascade Rapide water heater and the Carver Fanmaster are multi-fuel appliances. When an appliance 230V ac is permanently wired in, it is good practice to have it connected to a fused spur switch, and in your caravan it is the mains isolator switches with neon indicators.

You will find these manuals helpful

The Fanmaster uses 12V to run the fan but the heat can be supplied from the gas heater or the Fanmasters own electric elements and its these that need the 230V mains power.

The Casacde can heat the water by gas asd/ or electric, but the two heating systems are controlled separately.t The Rapide panel only controls the gas side of the heater, and the 230V mains switch powers the mains heating element. There are no other user controls for the mains, its either on or off by using the 230V switch just like an immersion heater at home. The element does have its own fixed temperature thermostat and there is a thermal cut out which should trip if the heater has no water in it. This requires to be manually pressed on the end of the heater (See the manual for details)

You will almost certainly have other Carver applainces, so you might find this website useful

Reactions: Jert
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Correction the red light indicates that 230V ac is being sent to the appliance, it does not show the appliance is actually working.

Perhaps a little more explanation is needed.
Both the Carver Cascade Rapide water heater and the Carver Fanmaster are multi-fuel appliances. When an appliance 230V ac is permanently wired in, it is good practice to have it connected to a fused spur switch, and in your caravan it is the mains isolator switches with neon indicators.

You will find these manuals helpful

The Fanmaster uses 12V to run the fan but the heat can be supplied from the gas heater or the Fanmasters own electric elements and its these that need the 230V mains power.

The Casacde can heat the water by gas asd/ or electric, but the two heating systems are controlled separately.t The Rapide panel only controls the gas side of the heater, and the 230V mains switch powers the mains heating element. There are no other user controls for the mains, its either on or off by using the 230V switch just like an immersion heater at home. The element does have its own fixed temperature thermostat and there is a thermal cut out which should trip if the heater has no water in it. This requires to be manually pressed on the end of the heater (See the manual for details)

You will almost certainly have other Carver applainces, so you might find this website useful
Beachball was perfectly correct in stating that if the red light was on, the unit working correctly? The unit is only a pass through fuse box for the voltage and does not operate anything.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just because an appliance is receiving power doesn't mean it's operating ok.
However it indicates the unit i.e fuse box is operating okay so Beachball is correct and does not operate any appliance. It only helps with the power feed to the appliance. :D

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fail to see what all the nit picking is about.
The switches in question have mains power to them, and then on to whatever appliance they are servicing.
The red light on the switches only indicates that power is available at that point.
It does NOT indicate that the appliance is working !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However it indicates the unit i.e fuse box is operating okay so Beachball is correct and does not operate any appliance. It only helps with the power feed to the appliance. :D
In the case of the Cascade 230V heating, the fused spur switch is the user control for the element. But it is the case that the neon only indicates th e switch is "on" and the 230V is present and the fuse in the switch panel is intact. It does not prove the Cascade is actually working, for example if the overheat stat has tripped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts