what car/caravan combo and what mpg are you getting

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi pulling a Bailey Pageant Provence (1420MTPLM) ratio 93%

Towing average = 30-31mpg (55-60 on motorways)

Solo average = 45 (around the country lanes & short trips)

Solo average = 55 (long trips mostly motorways at 70-75)

we live out in the styx and the nearest decent road is 20miles away so we've always got 20 miles of country lanes and twisty bends (just getting out of the village there are 10 sharp right angled bends in the space of 2 miles) before we can start to cruise so we are quite satisfied.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I the only vectra estate 2.2 dti owner tow a Ranger 460/4

depending on where I am towing 32 mpg down to 29 when crossing the pennines, solo hard to say as I have never driven solo the miles i do towing which are about 175 between stops.The short local trips I get about 39mpg.

Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we use a Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 6 speed and pull an Abbey vogue 495 1450kg, works out a around 94% kerb weight.

We get around 28 towing and between 45 and 55 solo depending on jouney.

Last week only went to work and back 5 days town driving 5 miles each way got 42 mpg, went to Plymouth a few weeks back 120 mile round trip mainly motorway/duel carrage way and got 56mpg

Kevin
how did you manage that

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
how did you manage that
i too have a mondeo tdci 130 and those figures are pretty much the same as mine towing a coachman amara 580/4 1560 kgs. last week i did a 55-60 mph round trip of 100 miles on m/way and dual c/way and got 66.1mpg. cheaper than walking, cruise control is brilliant.

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We tow a Herald Emblem 360/2 with a 2.0 ltr Zetec auto C-max, I get about 10 miles to the gallon. The better half gets the rest.

Willie

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I am beginning to wonder what sort of utopia some people live in. Over the years I've towed the same 1300kg caravan with at least a dozen cars ranging from a diesel Meriva to a 3.5 petrol Monterey/Trooper and I never achieved solo what some claim they're getting when towing. Smaller cars like the Meriva got a 50% increase in fuel consumption when towing, larger ones like the Monterey were less affected, but when you're only getting 21mpg solo, you're thankful that it doesn't get below 17mpg with the caravan.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Ever the realist Lutz, You never know what you achieve mpg unless you drive and then tow over the exact same route with the same traffic conditions etc.

Just fill it up when it's empty, if you think you are using to much

either Service the Car

Change the Car

Change the Van

take off the Roof Rack

Leave the Awning at Home

etc etc etc.

ps I get 47 mpg towing a TA ( but I do lie )

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Lutz - some of these figures just can't be right!

According to the computer on my Renault Grand Scenic, I got an average of 50mpg from my last tank of diesel (solo when doing mostly driving on A roads at 60mph - my regular commute to work). This is the 1.9 diesel model.

Towing, it hovers around 30mpg at 60mph on the motorway.

I'm towing a Bailey Ranger 470/4 - MTPLM of 1167Kg, with two adults and two children in the car.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I think Lutz has this spot on.

If some of the claimed figures on here are to be believed the price of fuel will be pretty irrelevent as no one is using any.

My neighbour has a nearly new (old shape) Mondeo 130TDCI estate and got 39mpg on a 650 mile round trip to Cornwall (without a caravan) - and he`s 70, so not exactly a `boy-racer`. He also gets about 34 `around town`, and being retired monitors these things as he has little else to do.

I probably haven`t yet mastered the knack of towing everywhere downhill with a following wind...........

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
I have a Galaxay tdi 150 towing a swift conqueror 530 and get 40-42 solo and towing varies between 23 doing 60-65 in Europe to 27-29 doing 40-50 on country roads here.

Would like to mention that this current van is wider than my prevoius one and also 200kg heavier and has resulted in a 2mpg drop. This is based on brim to brim fills rather than the more optimistic trip computer.

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Based upon the figures for a 130 tdci, If I were in the owners shoes, I would get the car given the "once over" 'cos that is WAY WAY out of what it should return in mpg. Based upon not sitting on the fence, what are we saying here, that some people are telling porkies ? If so, we may as well go the whole hog and say who's figures we don't believe. People have been asked a question, they have given their honest answers. Take my figures for my Mondy 2.2 STTDCI working out the average tank to tank not using the fuel computer, which are either doom merchants or over optimistic, it still works out at 36 towing and 48 solo, no matter which way you play with any figures. The fuel consumption bit I have done regularly over the years, I used to have a 5.7 Range Rover, now that did use fuel. If I was to post it did 12mpg solo and 9 towing, I don't doubt someone won't believe that either.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We also have a Mondeo 130 TDCI (54 plate) - and get around 48 to 50 solo, and 32 - 36 towing (depends on the roads we're towing on). We do long journeys, towing (down to the Med twice a year, usually) so can calculate our towing figures easily, using fill-up to fill-up and calculating how much we've put in the tank against mileage covered. We don't hang-about, either!!!

Like the previous poster, I'd have my Mondeo checked if it returned such poor fuel consumption.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
I have found fuel consumption varies depending on the diesel used. When on the few occasions I have had to use supermarket fuel mpg on a run has been between 27 - 29mpg Shell extra and BP diesel I usually see 28 - 31 and with the V power and BP ultimate diesel I return 30 - 34mpg, towing figures are similarly changed. Also it is dependent on road type. Heading to the New Forest via M25 , M3, A31 towing gives me the best figures , have managed as much as 23mpg towing on a clear day without traffic. Towing to York via the A1 is usually around 21mpg , slowing down and accelerating for roundabouts when towing has a significant effect on consumption.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have a Mercedes ML320 CDI towing a Bailey Senator Oklahoma rated for 1499kg. I have owned this car for 13 months and covered 13k miles at an overall average of 26.25mpg. I always brim-fill the car. Towing, I get between 18mpg and 22mpg., depending on wind, roads etc. Solo, it again depends on roads. Around town, it's about 24mpg but on country roads, I can reach the dizzy heights of 30mpg.

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
I have towed with the same Volvo 240 2.3 petrol for the last 19 years and have owned 5 caravans in that time. The current one is a Bailey Ranger 460/2 but the fuel consumption has not really changed regardless of the caravan, what matters is the speed at which I tow.

Solo on non about town runs I get 30-33mpg and towing I get around 22mpg. I tow at 50 as the consumption goes up to 18mpg ish if I tow at 60!!!!!

Generally I get good gas mileages out of my cars as the 33 mpg solo indicates - when it was a common tow car few got these figures. I look at the numbers for modern diesels with envy but having no depreciation & east maintainance buys a lot of petrol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Based upon the figures for a 130 tdci, If I were in the owners shoes, I would get the car given the "once over" 'cos that is WAY WAY out of what it should return in mpg. Based upon not sitting on the fence, what are we saying here, that some people are telling porkies ? If so, we may as well go the whole hog and say who's figures we don't believe. People have been asked a question, they have given their honest answers. Take my figures for my Mondy 2.2 STTDCI working out the average tank to tank not using the fuel computer, which are either doom merchants or over optimistic, it still works out at 36 towing and 48 solo, no matter which way you play with any figures. The fuel consumption bit I have done regularly over the years, I used to have a 5.7 Range Rover, now that did use fuel. If I was to post it did 12mpg solo and 9 towing, I don't doubt someone won't believe that either.
Oh I believe you! I have a 4.2 which does 10 towing and around 12 solo. The only reason I know this is because it runs on LPG, and the only safe way of knowing what's left in the tank is to use the trip meter. Other than that, MPG is of no great interest to me.I simply put fuel in when it needs it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts