what car/caravan combo and what mpg are you getting

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a neighbour with a Disco 2.5 tdi which he claims does 38 mpg, whether solo or towing, but if he's happy to believe that, I'm happy for him.

It brings to mind a story from 1959 when the Austin and Morris were first announced. A customer brought his brand new car back to the dealer where I worked, complainig of heavy petrol consumption. I was given the job of tuning it, which I did. No sophisticated computer tuning then of course, and to check the mileage, I made up a two-pint test tank which gravity fed to the carburettor. Disconnect the fuel pump, fill the test-tank and drive the car on as varied a route as possible. It ran out at 8.2 miles..33mpg. We contacted BMC, (the manufacturers)and they said that was satisfactory, and would accept no more warranty claims for poor MPG if the figure was better than 32.

When we explained this to the car's owner, he said, " But how Can I get 50mpg like everyone else?" The manager looked him straight in the eye and said "Sir, you lie about it, like everyone else!" True story, and the look on the man's face was indescribable!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a neighbour with a Disco 2.5 tdi which he claims does 38 mpg, whether solo or towing, but if he's happy to believe that, I'm happy for him.

It brings to mind a story from 1959 when the Austin and Morris were first announced. A customer brought his brand new car back to the dealer where I worked, complainig of heavy petrol consumption. I was given the job of tuning it, which I did. No sophisticated computer tuning then of course, and to check the mileage, I made up a two-pint test tank which gravity fed to the carburettor. Disconnect the fuel pump, fill the test-tank and drive the car on as varied a route as possible. It ran out at 8.2 miles..33mpg. We contacted BMC, (the manufacturers)and they said that was satisfactory, and would accept no more warranty claims for poor MPG if the figure was better than 32.

When we explained this to the car's owner, he said, " But how Can I get 50mpg like everyone else?" The manager looked him straight in the eye and said "Sir, you lie about it, like everyone else!" True story, and the look on the man's face was indescribable!!
That should, of corse read, "Austin and Morris Mini"

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i normally tow with our Nissan Terrano ,but sometimes we use the 2004 130 TDCI Mondeo Estate towing a 1600 KG twin axle ,as the M4 is near to us thats where we normally start from, and the best i can achieve is 29 MPG ,it has been down to 24 MPG when its been windy , but solo travelling from Swansea down to Farnborough Hants a distance of 168 miles most of the journey is motorway ,keeping the car in 6th gear as much as possible ,and the speed to 62 MPH i have had 64.2 MPG ,and if i new how put the photo of the readout on this page i would , but normal driving conditions i get about 43 MPG , this week same route only achieved 57.7

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

With my 2.2 mondeo, I never use 6th gear when towing and neither do many of the guys I know who have the same car. The car actually gives better mpg in 5th gear. 60 mph in 5th equates to about 2250 rpm, whereas in 6th, the revs are around 1650 rpm way outside the best engine torque. 6th really comes into its own at about 70 +, odd really considering the speed limits in the U.K. Also what many people are failing to note here is the relative power to weight ratios. The caravan club reckons a rule of thumb is a minimum of 40 bhp per ton. If I work mine out, the power to weight works out around 66bhp/ton. As I am only pulling a 1300kgs van my engine is not working as hard therefore uses less fuel, just as any other internal combustion engine does. As I said in a previous post. A question was asked, all who have posted have given an honest answer (I am not qualified and do not wish to attempt to judge anyone otherwise)to the best of their judgement and with the use of the facilities at their disposal.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi I have an 03 plate Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI estate(the 113 bhp version).

Towing my Coachman Genius 390 (mtplm 1,100kg) I get around 35ish mpg.

Around town solo I expect to get around 45-46mpg and mixed driving around 52.

Motorway runs I get around 55 and the best I've ever had was on a slow (forced) route up the M6 where the traffic was heavy and couldn't do much more than 60mph - got more than 62mpg.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Have a 54 plate 1.9 Tdi (128) VW Passat and pull a four berth Swift Charisma 565 (1365 kg).

Generally when towing I get around 32 mpg. Motorway driving solo I average around 53 mpg and general driving around 48 mpg.

Just filled up my car in preparation for going away and it cost me

Mar 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Just returned from Kendal to Stranraer. Approx 160 miles. 60 miles on M6, rest on A75. '07 Golf 2.0L. diesel (140) towing Coachman Amara 1200 KG. Average consumption. 35.6 mpg. Average speed 45mph.

Henry

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
After reading this thread I'm beginning to feel a saddo because I must be the only one who doesn't try to work out how much I get solo or towing :O(

I use the word try because by some of the figures quoted they are very trying ;O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The figures I quoted in my input are taken from the cars computer, ok, so it may not be accurate, but I have better things to do than hang around filling stations calculating this, that and t'other. The figure of 32 mpg towing was from Aust (Bristol) to home in Leics, that was the BEST I have recorded. The solo of 48 was acheived after a return trip to the lakes ( which I do a lot as my folks live there ) from leics, countering jams etc, BUT, giving it some where I could, ie.. too fast! So it's not always a general mpg but people will quote their best, like I did!

G

Car Vectra 3.2v6 caravan Swift Challenger 500se

Towing between 18-21 mpg dependent on wind,we usually cruise at 60 on the m/ways over here and 65 in France

Solo between 22-28 very dependant on what speed you drive at

In Germany on an unregulated autobahn at 120mph (not towing!) it was down to about 8mpg !!

Our motorhome (Bessie 425 2.3jtd) used to do between 18-24 mpg so no huge difference really

Nov 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we tow an old Sandmartin with a "P" reg Saab 9000cs petrol auto. We have recently toured Wales and the Peak District about 900 miles of towing. We returned 25 mpg.

Cheers mick.

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
hi all

weve got an 05sorento 2.5crdi towing a sterling europa 540[1500kg] solo we get about 25 around town etc,on a good run 30 and towing about 18mpg[ouch]keep thinking about something more economical!

cheers

dave

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi pulling a Bailey Pageant Provence (1420MTPLM) ratio 93%

Towing average = 30-31mpg (55-60 on motorways)

Solo average = 45 (around the country lanes & short trips)

Solo average = 55 (long trips mostly motorways at 70-75)

we live out in the styx and the nearest decent road is 20miles away so we've always got 20 miles of country lanes and twisty bends (just getting out of the village there are 10 sharp right angled bends in the space of 2 miles) before we can start to cruise so we are quite satisfied.
hi dave we have a cmax 2000tdci pulling a bailey senetor vermont30/35 towing , but in 6th gear at 60mph we get 62 to the gallon

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
2005 VW Touran 2.0TDi towing a Swift Fairway 490

Get about 30mpg towing as opposed to 45 average solo

Tow's like a dream and I think 30mpg is pretty good, was lucky to get that on solo out of my Freelander!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Surely it all depends on how you drive ? my wife only gets around 48 mpg round town out of her clio diesel but i get nearer 58, she only gets 42 / 43 out of our ford S max round town i get nearer 49 / 50 and she does not drive much harder than i do its just that she is a bit more rev happy.

Ive not towed too far with the S max yet the longest trip was to york a few weeks ago which was just short of 80 miles, my s max is the 2.0 tdci and on the trip to york the computer showed a steady 38 mpg towing a coachman vip 530/4 at slightly over 1600 kgs. we had to leave the van due to the weather and drove home solo at a steady 60 and the computer showed 56 mpg on our return home. ive tried keeping the car in 5th gear due to the coments on this site and to be honest the consumption on the S max was worse than driving in 6th at 60, the revs in 6th at 60 mph are just 1800 which is right on the boiling point for my car so its quite happy to tow all day long in sixth returning good mpg.

I am going down to devon tommorow for a week so i will get an idea of how the car performs on a longer run but i expect it will remain around the mid 30s mark.

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
2006 Bailey Monarch + Volvo V70 2.5 Diesel Towing 36mpg Solo at 56mph on Mway around 60 I use Cruise Control in both cases.

The cruise control seems to make 2 to 3 mpg difference.

Dec 3, 2007
Visit site
We have a old 94 landcruiser 4.2 diesel turbo and pull a 2001 conquerer 640 If we dont go nutts and drive it like a kid, we can return around 28 mpg on a m/way. But it drops to around 18/20 on the A roads. I blame the traffic lights and islands stop/start etc. But am more then happy..happy caravaning Nige/Suzy

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Just back from a 1900 mile tow to the Dordogne and back towing a 2001 Compass Corona 524 with a new diesel CR/V. Overall fuel consumption for the trip (according to Honda trip meter) was 25.4mpg including around 150miles solo out of 1900. This was with car+caravan pretty well loaded and with a full length 3/4 width roof box. Towing speeds were generaly 65-70mph.

Have achieved just over 30mpg when towing on motorways in UK, crusing at 55-60mph withour roofbox.

BP ultimate diesel can give 5mpg improvement ofer Tesco diesel solo, but didn't seem to make any noticeable difference when towing in France.

Cheers

David

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi.

Cant tell you the towing figure yet because Caravan still awaiting repair, but my new Toyota RAV4 2.2 diesel averaged 50mpg bringing it back 180 miles on good roads from the dealers in Burton on Trent, since then it has averaged 45mpg on mixed driving. Very impressed so far. These are accurate figures based on fill ups and the on board computer figures are the same.

Andrew

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Icemaker's hit the money with his comments - it all depends on how you drive your car!

I get the same mpg towing my Abbey Vogue 540 (Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDT) as I do when my lady drives the same vehicle round the town (approx 30 mpg). But then my right foot is altogether lighter than hers...(running for cover now).

There are lots of techniques that can be employed to improve mpg - and lots of people don't bother!

Mac

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

On returning from Torbay last weekend, I filled up at a local garage, (now the price has dropped) on calculating the mileage against fuel used we got 30 mpg, with a Shogun 3.2 towing a twin axle, we travelled the M5 most of the way up and back, stuck to 55 - 60 all the way.

I double checked the figures and checked them again, it was correct, superb.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I tow a bailey ranger 380/2 with a renault megane 1.9dti

fuel consumption solo 400miles per tank full (40 ltrs) towing about 300 miles, "you do the maths I can't be arsed"

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
We tow a Bailey Ranger 470/4 (1172KG) with a 2004 Citroen Picasso 2.0 Turbo Diesel(hdi.

Solo average 50.4 mpg

Towing 30.5 mpg

These towing figure is taken from the cars computer system on a recent holiday.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts