What do you have for Christmas breakfast

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ever since I was weaned off of Virol, NHS dried milk and Farley’s rusks my breakfast on Christmas Day has followed a local Leicestershire tradition. It comprises Melton Mowbray pork pie, Long Clawson Stilton cheese, home cooked gammon with various chutneys, pickles and crust bread. Over recent years it has evolved to include smoked salmon and smoked meats too.
Four years ago my grandson, who was in the police at the time, called in with his buddy and even parked the 5 series patrol car outside so they could have breakfast. Unfortunately this year he’s excluded from the “ bubble”. However his sister is today making us the pork pie for Christmas Day breakfast. I would add that it seemed to be mainly a male tradition as I can’t ever recall my mother or aunts having breakfast. They were probably too busy sorting out Christmas dinner. The whole affair was repeated on Boxing Day before going out to follow the hunt and then into the local pub.
So these days the breakfast is the only bit of that tradition that continues. Hopefully one day not too far away an ad hoc visit to a pub may be back on the cards. Until then I hope that everyone has an enjoyable Christmas whatever their culinary tastes.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I was weaned off of Virol, NHS dried milk and Farley’s rusks my breakfast on Christmas Day has followed a local Leicestershire tradition. It comprises Melton Mowbray pork pie, Long Clawson Stilton cheese, home cooked gammon with various chutneys, pickles and crust bread. Over recent years it has evolved to include smoked salmon and smoked meats too.
Four years ago my grandson, who was in the police at the time, called in with his buddy and even parked the 5 series patrol car outside so they could have breakfast. Unfortunately this year he’s excluded from the “ bubble”. However his sister is today making us the pork pie for Christmas Day breakfast. I would add that it seemed to be mainly a male tradition as I can’t ever recall my mother or aunts having breakfast. They were probably too busy sorting out Christmas dinner. The whole affair was repeated on Boxing Day before going out to follow the hunt and then into the local pub.
So these days the breakfast is the only bit of that tradition that continues. Hopefully one day not too far away an ad hoc visit to a pub may be back on the cards. Until then I hope that everyone has an enjoyable Christmas whatever their culinary tastes.

Not for breakfast, just have a light one, that would normally be my Christmas day tea. The Pork Pie from Dickinson and Morris, stilton from Colston Bassett. usually! got the pork pie and gammon, that's all, very quite this year.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Bacon sandwiches for us-with a good dose of Henderson's relish-a Sheffield tradition although am not from Sheffield!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Home cooked corner gammon ham with cold sliced boiled eggs, brown bread and butter and a pot of english breakfast tea! Then it's on with preparing the sprouts, parsnips etc that will accompany the turkey!

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A Bacon buttie, or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs, with a Vodka and Orange juice, as then I could not get called into work, if not on duty.

Stay safe all, and Try and have a Happy Christmas.

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
My wife has made a panetone which we will try. If it is no good we are in trouble as no plan B. Used one bought from a farm shop last year and played safe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife has made a panetone which we will try. If it is no good we are in trouble as no plan B. Used one bought from a farm shop last year and played safe.
Our granddaughter is making us the pork pie so my wife suggested we could buy a back up. But her cooking skills are A1 so I rejected that idea. When our daughter was young she made some scones for a riverside picnic. I initially thought they were rock cakes but they were so hard and dry I surreptitiously let mine float away into the River Walkham and then onwards into the Tavy and Tamar never to be seen again. I was caught out when our Red Setter came back to us happy as could be with the remnants of the scone in her mouth.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 1008One of the pork pies has been eaten tonight and the granddaughter also made a cheesecake for later. Even doing the washing up so the domestic skills have reappeared afte skipping a generation. Mutated maybe 😱

View attachment 1007
Hi otherclive no wonder one of the porkpie been eaten it looks tasty also the cheesecake looks fantastic

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Very considerate your disguise but thanks for leaving Terri so we can see her! ------ Merry Christmas from Lincolnshire. (Ps we have food in Lincolnshire --- Christmas breakfast (middayish!) same as ever ---food!)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Terri is still looking Fantastic, but I think that zip DustyDog, must be ready to give way after more than a few of the few rashers of Cricklade bacon, 😂 lets hope we can get together in the spring.

If Not.

Stay safe everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts