What family tow car?

We currently have a 2000 Vauxhall Zafira 1.8, which we have used to tow an Abbey Stafford. We want to trade in the car for a newer car as it has started to play up. In addition, we will be looking at upgrading our caravan sometime next year as our 2 kids are getting bigger. What family cars would people recommend for a family of 4. I dont know where to start looking!! We are looking at spending £7/£8,0000, and are very flexible in what we get, we just want to make sure it will also do us for the next caravan we get. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as it is giving me a headache!!!

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
For that budget you should be able to get a new shape Zafira 150 diesel, I can confirm they are pretty good towcars and fairly economical solo

Thanks for your reply. As far as likes and dslikes are concerned, I would like a car that has enough room for a family of 4. We have 2 kids, aged 1 and 3, and still carry around alot of stuff like double buggies etc. For this reason the Zafira was great, as the boot was massive. We never really used the extra 2 seats. I do alot of motorway driving up and down to London, so would like comfort. My husband wants more puling power!!! He was disappointed in how the Zafira pulled the Abbey Stafford, although that could have been down to our car being that bit older. So really looking for a car that is roomy inside, comfortable for long journeys and will have enough power to pull our current caravan and any future heavier caravans. Hope this makes sense any further advice greatly appreciated.

G

Catherine

We have towed with a Vectra and its good.The 1.9cdti 150 is a good engine and its a comfortable reliable car which has loads of space and a big boot. Dont know the MTPLM of your Abbey but we were tugging 1400kg with the Vectra

tj1

Aug 23, 2008
Visit site
Hello catherine we tow with a mondeo 04 ghia x tdci estate plenty of room for driver, rear passangers plus a very big boot, good on feul,low tax and a very good tow car with that amount of money to spend you should go to your local carsupermarket and have a good look at around at all the different makes, anyway good luck tj

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Catherine

We had a 03 Zafira in the past and our new shape Zafira is in a different league - far better driving position, excellent handling for a MPV and with the 150 hp diesel plenty of pulling power. It weighs just over 1600kg and has a tow weight of 1500kg so is a good match for plenty of mid sized caravans.

We tow a 1480kg MPTLM Pageant S7 with ours and even with three bikes on the roof of the car it was more than capable of cruising at 60 mph even on some reasonable hills.

If you do get one, I would recommend getting the 150 hp rather than a 120 hp model as well as getting more power and a higher tow weight you also get sports suspension and ESP as standard.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Catherine

We had a 03 Zafira in the past and our new shape Zafira is in a different league - far better driving position, excellent handling for a MPV and with the 150 hp diesel plenty of pulling power. It weighs just over 1600kg and has a tow weight of 1500kg so is a good match for plenty of mid sized caravans.

We tow a 1480kg MPTLM Pageant S7 with ours and even with three bikes on the roof of the car it was more than capable of cruising at 60 mph even on some reasonable hills.

If you do get one, I would recommend getting the 150 hp rather than a 120 hp model as well as getting more power and a higher tow weight you also get sports suspension and ESP as standard.
The car's handbook states a 1640kg kerb weight

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi i would highly recommend a ford galaxy ours is a 2004 1.9 130 bhp ghia it has all the toys.We go away most weekends with our 4 kids and all there bikes and stuff.we tow a bailey ranger 540/6 and have been to france and spain in the last year and the car has run no problem its very comfortable and just pulls all day and for your money you would get a 06 easy or a 04/05 and put a few thousand in the bank for your new caravan.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Catherine,

You say you are going to change your caravan next year due to children growing up.

When you upgrade your caravan therefore you will be looking for one to accomodate your growing family and all their luggage

You will therefore most probably end up with a caravan with a fully laden weight of around 1600 plus KGS.

I would take this into account now in choosing your new towcar.

There is no point in buying a car now which then limits you as to your choice of caravan next year.

I had Volvo estates for yesrs, before moving onto Shoguns, however they are getting lighter in weight. The 4x4 Volvo estate

XC70 is an excellent towcar.

As has been said a mid to large second hand 4x4, pretty cheap at the moment.

There are quite a few heavier vehicles to choose from which would give you a wide choice of caravans when you come to change.

Good luck.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts