What is it with MIcrosoft

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So we are on site in Benodet using site wi fi,I can log on to my personal and business banking, all the other forums etc, but not my e mails, because Microsoft decided it didn't recognise my laptop,so it sends a code to my home phone number to verify it is me. I am the first to admit I am not the best when it comes to tech, but what can possibly be the problem viewing my e mails ,when I am able to view far more personal information without a problem,can I get rid of Microsoft and use another system?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Different programs have there own security methods. And these can usually be adjusted by the user. Some allow to opt into 2 step verification. While others insist on it. But normally there will be alternatives if one method does not work. For example, you may set up land lines, mobiles and emails and you can set a default but choose between them if one fails.

On the screen where is asked to send a code, look for an alternative choice.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Different programs have there own security methods. And these can usually be adjusted by the user. Some allow to opt into 2 step verification. While others insist on it. But normally there will be alternatives if one method does not work. For example, you may set up land lines, mobiles and emails and you can set a default but choose between them if one fails.

On the screen where is asked to send a code, look for an alternative choice.

John
Also you can go into settings and remove the need to enter a password every time you switch on the computer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So we are on site in Benodet using site wi fi,I can log on to my personal and business banking, all the other forums etc, but not my e mails, because Microsoft decided it didn't recognise my laptop,so it sends a code to my home phone number to verify it is me. I am the first to admit I am not the best when it comes to tech, but what can possibly be the problem viewing my e mails ,when I am able to view far more personal information without a problem,can I get rid of Microsoft and use another system?
I use Outlook, Yahoo and Google email accounts. The latter two being excellent even when used via Applemail. But of course they won’t allow you to view emails sent to your Outlook/Hotmail account. Can you check security settings and add your mobile, then try again selecting your mobile if the choice is given. I always have the mobile number for primary verification as any message sent to a home landline comes through as spoken text hardly intelligible.

A fall back is to use your mobile to log into the web based email account. You can then read and manage the emails directly, using roaming data or a WiFi somewhere.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

I'm afraid your last question is a little unclear - Microsoft is a company that provides the software that runs your laptop and provides various programs that allow you to do many different things. So to get rid of Microsoft would mean getting rid of virtually everything that's on your laptop that allows you to do various tasks. It can be done but you'd have to learn something new and would still face the same issues.

I suspect that your real question relates to the way in which you access your email accounts and is linked to the question about security. Specifically you don't want anyone who gains access to your laptop to be able to log into your banking or emails or any other account you have which has detailed information about you.

If you're logging into your other accounts without any other checks such as a being asked a password, memorable data or a code being sent to you then you are at risk.

If you don't lock your laptop with a password or pin number then you are at risk.

I'm guessing that you are trying to check your emails using a web browser such as Microsoft Edge. Its not this that's asking you for a code but the email account you are using and its really best to use this feature.

Your emails can contain lots of information that could be used to build information about you that could lead to identity theft so best to have it as secure as possible. If the problem is that the code is being sent to your home number then you might be able to change the settings in your email account to do this another way.

At the risk of confusing your even more - apologies - there are other ways to be secure. Most web browsers support Password Managers. Also the process of 2 step verification or 2 step aunthentication is a very good idea because codes can be sent to mobile phones - i.e another device other than your laptop. Sending the same code to the same device is not a good idea.

If you need more help just ask.

Reactions: Tobes and Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I thought the password was to access Windows and other software?

See Sam’s answer.

There can be many levels of security. It would be possible to remove all security for windows or iOS access. But then anything you want to do would be vulnerable. Crucial apps (or access via a browser), such as for banking would easily be open to theft. So the banks will insist on minimum levels, eg types of password, 2 step verification and other stuff. All for our protection.

Other software insists on minimum levels of security but will let the user build on this.

For example. I can access my phone with face recognition, this will allow me direct access to emails, photos and Amazon. But not full access to banking. However, it will notify me if my credit card is used, who with and how much.

Logging on also recognises if the equipment is trusted. If I try a different computer I will need to do further checks.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to put in passwords, to access the banking apps together with 2 stage verification and code sent to phone in case of personal account ,and card reader for business account, so thay should be secure, forums such as PC require password and user name and thay are all working,the email is hotmail and I access it through Outlook,so I need to put in my e mail address and password and it is at that stage that MIcrosoft tell me they think there is suspicious activity and I need to confirm last 4 numbers of home phone to get a code. This morning thay are also saying that I can completes an on line verification form and thay will contact me within 24 hours to do that. I get really frustrated with these companies that want to cotrol me, once I have entered my details why should they decide I am not who they think I am.It is sunny here now so will probably leave it till I get home in a weeks time and then go through the e mails, sadly I will probably have missed my African lottery win , and the money left to me following my un known realtives car crash

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have to put in passwords, to access the banking apps together with 2 stage verification and code sent to phone in case of personal account ,and card reader for business account, so thay should be secure, forums such as PC require password and user name and thay are all working,the email is hotmail and I access it through Outlook,so I need to put in my e mail address and password and it is at that stage that MIcrosoft tell me they think there is suspicious activity and I need to confirm last 4 numbers of home phone to get a code. This morning thay are also saying that I can completes an on line verification form and thay will contact me within 24 hours to do that. I get really frustrated with these companies that want to cotrol me, once I have entered my details why should they decide I am not who they think I am.It is sunny here now so will probably leave it till I get home in a weeks time and then go through the e mails, sadly I will probably have missed my African lottery win , and the money left to me following my un known realtives car crash
Can’t you access Outlook/Hotmail via your mobile phone as opposed to the laptop?

This might help

From Microsoft.

“We have implemented a security update called Familiar location protection to keep our customers’ accounts secure. The message "You haven't signed in from this location recently." will occur if you are signing in from a location more than 300 miles from your normal location. The Microsoft account service will prompt you for an additional challenge to complete the log in. Codes can be the date of birth, or receiving a code sent to your SMS number or alternate email if configured.

It is only the system that determines the extent of the challenge. But once the security system determines that those are not unauthorized log ins because of the successful verification, this will lessen in the future as the account establishes a reputation.”

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

I can understand the frustration but its not really the likes of Microsoft that are causing these problems. It's the miscreants and hackers that take control of user accounts due to low or non-existing security measures. In addition many users have poor understanding of how these things work and don't take appropriate measures to remain secure.

Remember.... those pushing the keys on your keyboard or phone could be anybody so the idea is to actually prove you are who you say you are. Not only on your keyboard - if your details are scammed then anybody on any other machine could log into your accounts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can understand the frustration but its not really the likes of Microsoft that are causing these problems. It's the miscreants and hackers that take control of user accounts due to low or non-existing security measures. In addition many users have poor understanding of how these things work and don't take appropriate measures to remain secure.

Remember.... those pushing the keys on your keyboard or phone could be anybody so the idea is to actually prove you are who you say you are. Not only on your keyboard - if your details are scammed then anybody on any other machine could log into your accounts.
At one time some accounts asked for a question to be answered that was memorable. Something like “ where were you borne? “What was your mothers maiden name” etc. But this form of security has gone out of favour as people now post so much on social media websites, and sites like Ancestry too. My wife is going to Greece next week and part of her preparations are to ensure the bank and credit card apps recognise this if they have the features. Not that she is a heavy user of email but following on from this thread she has made sure her Microsoft Hotmail and Live are up to date.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
See Sam’s answer.

There can be many levels of security. It would be possible to remove all security for windows or iOS access. But then anything you want to do would be vulnerable. Crucial apps (or access via a browser), such as for banking would easily be open to theft. So the banks will insist on minimum levels, eg types of password, 2 step verification and other stuff. All for our protection.

Other software insists on minimum levels of security but will let the user build on this.

For example. I can access my phone with face recognition, this will allow me direct access to emails, photos and Amazon. But not full access to banking. However, it will notify me if my credit card is used, who with and how much.

Logging on also recognises if the equipment is trusted. If I try a different computer I will need to do further checks.

John
Even if my laptop was accessed, they still need the keypad which is totally separate to access any bank accounts. Neither of us have or ever will have banking apps on our phones so no issue there.
Security is a good thing, but if the software was developed in manner that it cannot be hacked then there should not be a problem. Prior to Internet never had an issue with scams or banking being hacked. Isn't technology wonderful for the criminals as it makes it easy for them as they do not even need to enter a bank now to steal money! 😏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even if my laptop was accessed, they still need the keypad which is totally separate to access any bank accounts. Neither of us have or ever will have banking apps on our phones so no issue there.
Security is a good thing, but if the software was developed in manner that it cannot be hacked then there should not be a problem. Prior to Internet never had an issue with scams or banking being hacked. Isn't technology wonderful for the criminals as it makes it easy for them as they do not even need to enter a bank now to steal money! 😏
The principal reason my wife downloaded her banks app was that she can check her account first thing each morning but more importantly she can put a short term hold or cancel her bank card from the app anywhere in the world without waiting for a phone to be answered. She rarely if ever does transactions or sets up new payees from the app.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Security is a good thing, but if the software was developed in manner that it cannot be hacked then there should not be a problem. Prior to Internet never had an issue with scams or banking being hacked. Isn't technology wonderful for the criminals as it makes it easy for them as they do not even need to enter a bank now to steal money!

Card readers for banks are a good idea but unfortunately not all banks use them. More and more there is a push by banks etc to do everything through an app and its something I refuse to do. I wont do anything like this through a mobile phone using a web browser either and I ensure our workstations and laptops are as secure as possible - I hope :)

Developing software that's 100% secure is impossible. Its a game of cat and mouse - as soon as one security hole is plugged the black hats find another way in. One of the weakest links these days regretably is the end user.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to everybody for all their suggestions, sadly most involve logging in to the Outlook account, which as soon as I do shows the original message telling me they are not allowing me in,so I can't get as far as altering phone numbers or security settings. Will investigate when we get home, if I change to g.mail as e mail provider, which I am reluctant to do, is that run by chrome rather than Microsoft?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by change to g.mail as a mail provider. Do you mean change from hotmail account to a google gmail account? That means notifying everyone of you new email address.

Your next question about Chrome and Microsoft isn't the real question.

Chrome is a web browser. Microsoft Edge is a web browser. In other words these are what you use to look around the internet.

The hotmail account is run by Microsoft and Chrome or Edge are just the tools you use to get into your account. The problem you have is with the Hotmail account not the tool you're using to access it.

It might help if you could tell us what you click on to try and access your email. Are you actually using a web browser like Edge to access Outlook.com or are you using the Windows email program?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by change to g.mail as a mail provider. Do you mean change from hotmail account to a google gmail account? That means notifying everyone of you new email address.

Your next question about Chrome and Microsoft isn't the real question.

Chrome is a web browser. Microsoft Edge is a web browser. In other words these are what you use to look around the internet.

The hotmail account is run by Microsoft and Chrome or Edge are just the tools you use to get into your account. The problem you have is with the Hotmail account not the tool you're using to access it.

It might help if you could tell us what you click on to try and access your email. Are you actually using a web browser like Edge to access Outlook.com or are you using the Windows email program?
One option for confirming your security is to have a second email account. Then Microsoft would list your options fir confirmation. IE mobile to receive text code, home phone number or alternative email. I have three rmail accounts two used regularly the third mainly for security confirmation when required. To keep it live I will send myself emails to and from it if it’s not used for a while.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst not offering a cure, is not the wiser course to have taken is to use a phone that you carry, ie your mobile, rather than a home phone as the one you elect to have verification codes sent to?
As is, once away from access to the home phone you can't verify anything, whereas with a mobile you carry you can.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst not offering a cure, is not the wiser course to have taken is to use a phone that you carry, ie your mobile, rather than a home phone as the one you elect to have verification codes sent to?
As is, once away from access to the home phone you can't verify anything, whereas with a mobile you carry you can.
Plus if the home phone doesn’t switch to voicemail you don’t receive the message. If it does come as a SMS to the home phone in my experience it’s neigh on unintelligible.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Plus if the home phone doesn’t switch to voicemail you don’t receive the message. If it does come as a SMS to the home phone in my experience it’s neigh on unintelligible.
Yeah, it's a bit wrong to blame Microsoft for a-trying to protect you and b-not setting things up right to start with

Reactions: JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, it's a bit wrong to blame Microsoft for a-trying to protect you and b-not setting things up right to start with

Agreed, I for one want Microsoft and the other providers to be doing all they can to protect us from hacking etc; and as we often are away from home simply elected to have any required verification codes sent to our mobiles.
And that is what increasingly happens, free of any issues wherever we are going online.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

If they accessed your laptop they could just switch to a virtual ‘on screen’ keyboard. Or perhaps use voice. Of course you are correct that scamming has greatly increased with the internet. The UK is, I believe, the worst country. But the actual security is quite effective. It is let down by the end user.

One of my teaching staff was a computer virgin. I gave him a desk next to mine so I could train him. He persevered and got very very good. He got very adept at some complex software we used. I made him mentor others. About 5 year's later he left and went on a degree course with his son studying cyber security which they both now work in.

I think, what complicates things, is the variety of security systems.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Latest update,spoke to a neighbour who suggested get MS to send code by e mail to wifes account,which they did,obviously not too concerned with sending code to random account,put in the code on my notification, then asked confirmation of personal details, ok so far then asked memorable question, ok so far then asked for details of last 3 emails sent including subject matter and e mail addresses that I had sent them to,I can't remember all that but anyway pressed submit and they then e mailed wife again to say account was now useable.
In answwer to previous question,I am using Chrome as browser, click on outlook, and enter e mail and than enter password, which is the way I have used for years without a problem, for those of you that say use my phone, my phone only makes calls, sends texts and photos,no internet and don't want it.
In answet to Bluetonic, MS are not protecting me, I have entered my email and password into Outlook correctly, I have jumped through their hoops, and even though they say the account is working it is not.
My understanding is that g mail is operated by Google, is that correct, and while it is a short term pain to change,I can soon notify my contacts book,and even weed out some of the senders from which I regularly get spam.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If they accessed your laptop they could just switch to a virtual ‘on screen’ keyboard. Or perhaps use voice. Of course you are correct that scamming has greatly increased with the internet. The UK is, I believe, the worst country. But the actual security is quite effective. It is let down by the end user.

One of my teaching staff was a computer virgin. I gave him a desk next to mine so I could train him. He persevered and got very very good. He got very adept at some complex software we used. I made him mentor others. About 5 year's later he left and went on a degree course with his son studying cyber security which they both now work in.

I think, what complicates things, is the variety of security systems.

John
Isn’t Buckman referring to the card reader that you insert your debit card into if you want to set up a new payeee, or pay a significant amount to an exiting payee. It gives you a code on laptop or computer screen. You input it into the card reader. The card reader gives yo another code that you input to the computer. The codes are random generated. Extra security is then inputting the new payees details for a confirmation check. Get on full stop out of place and you get a warning that the new payees account cannot be completely verified.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts