What is the attraction of an Airstream?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Craig
You’ve nailed it!
Just think if it was black, all those ripples and riveting!
Most U.K. caravans would still sell in other colours although at greatly reduced numbers. It’s been tried but not too successful.
So, the attraction of an Airstream is less than skin deep!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Plenty of 80's vans were different colours and quite successful. Elddis kept the green theme for many years, ABI the blue theme. Now of course the Explore group still have coloured sides on some models.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Brit built caravans will not last two minutes out in the States, US trailer pullers, well they tend to go in to places that we would not dream of going in to , just look at the construction of a US made trailer , corrugated construction, big running gear,

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
tuffty said:
I
Must be the same reason Ford now import the Mustang into the UK. Hardly anybody in the UK is going to spend almost £40k on a 5.0 litre V8 that manages sub-20mpg, scores incredibly poorly in Euro NCAP tests and won't fit in most supermarket car parks. .

Same width as my discovery and as long as other drivers park centrally in thier bay, i have never had any parking issues and there are cheaper more economical ones 2.3 does 30+ and is still manages sub 6sec 0-60.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
GD485 said:
Craig
You’ve nailed it!
Just think if it was black, all those ripples and riveting!
!

Sounds familiar :whistle: That will be Land Rover managed to sell a fair few Series, 90/110 and defenders with ripples, rivets and quite a few colours

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As an Aircraft engineer, some of the rivetting on the Airstreams, is terrible and will leak, especially after a few thousand miles touring. And they are not made out of Al -umin-num. Its Alclad 2024, or similar to aircraft , and as soon as you polish it , looses it anti corrosive protection.
A lovevly /Ugly beast. Depends on yourself. I love my Coachman.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi EH
I think they lacquer the body after polishing but I’ve seen old Airstream that have patches of worn through lacquer and the surface has oxidised.
I used to weld aluminium alloys and the protective layer (oxidisation) was a welders nightmare. At least if they kept it polished it might be weldable!
I’m a fan of Coachman too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just reread Airstream websites, and they state that they are made from Aluminium, which is very light but corrodes to give a dull and protective finish, so I think they use an Alclad or Duralamin material.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GD485, Heĺlo, yes just down the road, if you pass through WS, pop into The Station, we are the couple with a black dog and a small white rat. On another thread have you heard of Bedfordshire "clangers"
Going up to Whitearches soon , a mate has just bought a new van, first time towers, trying to get his head around weights. Whitearches are dealers for Airstreams.
Hutch.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I saw one at goodwood festival of speed a few years a go as a fancy coffee bar.
You know the sort of thing..... £9 a cup!

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Choice, style , history, iconic value?
If someone has a 2K caravan.being towed by a n old car, and someone has a new caravan and new car does that mean they are also saying look at me I have money?
Maybe some people just like them, we a have different tastes so stop knocking them , or is it because they come from the land of Trump?
I like them and do.not look at people and think oh they must just have new stuff to show off

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
PMHh
It’s not so much the people as the design and construction
To me they are ugly. I cannot see the attraction that’s why I started the post just to see what others saw in the Airstream.
So far it seems the endearing features are more related to form not function.
I just think they are unsuitable as touring vans for the U.K. and not to practical as a sited van
Just my opinion.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In the White Arches dealer in Northamptonshire the Airstream is locked up to you can't even go inside it to look at it. You have to go and ask a sales person to get inside, not the best sales tactic.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the price of them I am not surprised. Would you let families with five years olds and the rest wander through without being sure what they were up to?

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
Given the price of them I am not surprised. Would you let families with five years olds and the rest wander through without being sure what they were up to?

If you want to buy a £80k car you can go to a dealer and sit in it, open boot and bonnet, kick the tyres, take a test drive. Go to a show house you can do all sorts to your hearts delight.

There was one, as posted earlier in this thread at the recent CountryfileLive event at Blenheim that had heavy footfall over the 4 days, it survived. You couldn't take the free ice cream on the same 'stand' it was in, though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Went to Horse of the year show, at Windsor, none of the stands batted an eylid as to how you were dressed either in B and Q wellies or Hunters. The Range rover ! JlR folk were great, no one knows what assets, you might or not have, if your displaying something to buy, then show it.
Hutch.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Considering the fact that children learn from their parent's I wouldn't worry about the 5 year olds at all but the adults. An insignificant example from the Lawns show this year, we opened a top cupboard in a Coachman VIP twin axle and it had been filled with ice lolly wrappers and drink receptacles. A five year old would not have been able to reach!! Children are very rarely the problem. Oh and even on the years that the whole ground is a mud bath all the vans are open.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
KeefySher said:
Raywood said:

If you want to buy a £80k car you can go to a dealer and sit in it, open boot and bonnet, kick the tyres, take a test drive. Go to a show house you can do all sorts to your hearts delight.

There was one, as posted earlier in this thread at the recent CountryfileLive event at Blenheim that had heavy footfall over the 4 days, it survived. You couldn't take the free ice cream on the same 'stand' it was in, though.

You must be in a more honest area. Here only the cheaper cars are available for you to sit in without a salesman present.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts