what is the ideal starter caravan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been thinking about getting a caravan all year. I have three chidren aged 13,10 and 5 what is the ideal size van and do i buy new or 2nd hand. If i go for a new one do you haggle for a good price or get any free bees thrown in. what is the best way about doing things. Manny thanks Andy G

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i would think you need to look at a five bith. layouts with double at each end and a bunk. but dont worry too much as the eldest will be quite happy in an annex off an awning. an awning is a must with an annex, these were great as that extra bed room and for storage.you can see these in a show room. if you are buying second hand lots of people sell these with their caravans. good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy, don't jump in feet first and commit yourself to all sorts of money. Go s/h to start with, can always upgrade later if u find the family take to it. Primary consideration is what do you intend to tow with as all cars have their limits. The recomended guide for this is that the all up weight of the loaded van should not exceed 85% of the weight of the tow car. with this in mind have a look at 5 berth family vans also remembering that a private buy is more likely to come with extras like water containers, awning, gas bottles etc. all sorts of bits that u can hang on to if u trade up later at a dealer. look out for damp, can get a cheap damp meter from B&Q which would be worth taking with you should you view any private sales. finally check out www.ukcampsites.co.uk and click on forums where you will find an absolute mine of info. good luck Mick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy, we also have 3 children and have ordered an Avondale dart 556/6 which is a 6 berth caravan with fixed bunk beds at the rear. We originally set out to buy a second hand caravan but soon found out that to get anything half decent there was hardly any difference between new and second hand prices, as caravans really hold their value.The best thing is to go and look at as many layouts and makes as possible and see which you like,we liked the Dart as the bunks are a bit longer than some and better for the kids. As we didn't have a part exchange we got a good discount off the price and a starter pack thrown in so it pays to haggle, although we also looked at Baileys which are very good but there were no discounts at all on these as they sell so quickly. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy, I agree with Mick, but also consider getting a tent big enough for the kids and put them outside, they will have their own space and a good time, and it's a cheaper option than jumping in and buying a large caravan for every one to sleep

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i am thinking of buying a 1996 baily ranger 500/5 from a private seller.can anyone give me some idea on the price i shuold expect to pay,also as any feedback about this model

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts