What next holiday?

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks, thought some of you might appreciate this. We took a weeks holiday at easter, which is now know as the "What next" holiday.

On arrival at site we had torrential rain and got soaked setting up,(although it showed how quickly you can do it when you want!)

Our first problem came when I tried to light the cooker - no gas!

We had a blockage in the pipes, so I got another soaking, while blowing this out with a mini compessor.I discovered a drip from under the sink, tried to tighten the connection and broke it - a 40 mile round trip to get another one from the nearest dealer.

On the second night I broke a bed board. Then we discovered wasps had set up home behind the fridge! I then I broke the foot pedal for the electic tap at the sink. We had a power cut over night, when I had the battery on charge, so no 240v or 12v power for the remainder of the next morning. With constant rain, hail and snow, we had 4 inches of mud at the door, and with 2 dogs coming out and in the van was getting to be a real mess! Then our heater packed up! "What next" I kept saying.

We are heading off again next week for 14 nights, with a roofbox full of spares - just incase!!

The joys of carvanning I suppose! But amazing how we all get by doing repairs as we go

Hamish (and the ever suffering wife Denise)

G

Hamish. I was in the fix it on site club for many a year! Even when we had the van serviced we still seemed to have a problem when we arrived.

I believe if you are able to keep the van at home you stand a better chance of keeping everything running smoothly. I've virtually taken our last three vans apart and put them back together using quality mastics and glues and even replacing wrong sized screws.

First point of call is the earthing point to the chassis, some clear silicon over it prevents it coming loose and keeps out corosion.

Make sure all cables under the van are well secured and drainage pipes etc are level / downhill on as straight a run as possible. Droopy drain pipes under the van do not help sinks and shower clear.

All lights outside lights are dismantled and checked for good contact and sprayed with electical water proofer. Inside the van all pipe and cable runs tidied and straightened, no kinks in water supply points and screw threads treated to some additional PTFE sealing tape.

Gas appliance are all lit and checked before departure and the same with water supplies, cleaning fluid washed through and then a clean through with fresh water to make sure pumps are all fit and turning.

Priority on arrival at site is something to eat and drink. Piling out of the car doing the headless chicken act racing around with Awning poles and Peg Mallet etc is for the exhibtionists amongst caravanners.

Having arrived with water for coffee and even a humble emergency pot noodle or the like is preferable to trying to find the mallet and getting soaked.

Chill out and take your time and then you'll find all goes easier and Denise will love you lots more.

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
OR.... stand outside the van in a prominent position...scratch your head and look puzzled. If nothing else you will get to know your neighbours... and being an absolute disaster at DIY it is for me by far the safest option.

Nick

May 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Euro

Thanks for the advice. Believe it or not, I had made regular tests and checks on the van including testing the gas, adjusting the brakes, greasing every moving part, cleaning out waste/water pipes etc, as at that time we had the caravan at home. We now have the van stored at the site in Glencoe. Its just those unforseen problems that arise, Although it was not funny at the time, we have a good laugh about it now, especially Denise recalling my 'Basil Faulty' impersonation !!!

Its all part of caravanning to do repairs on the hoof!

Thanks also to Nicolas, I tried the standing outside in the rain looking puzzled/scratching my head but I don't think anyone else wanted to get wet either!

I always carry a fairly large tool kit, hence the reason we have a people carrier for just the two of us!

Cheers folks

Hamish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts