What size gas bottles?

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Having recently lost our van to thieves, I have also lost the 2 Flo gas lightweight cylinders. I think they were 5 or 6kgs
I have managed to pick up a couple of Calor Butane bottles for less than £20 for the pair. 4.5kg size. Do people typically run with these or is there a larger preferred option.
At less than a tenner each and reading about the shortages, just seemed to good a deal to pass on.
New van will be a Super major 4 SB

Tia

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to carry two old style Calor 6 kg propane but other than when we went abroad for use with caravan and gas bbq I found that I was carting unwanted weight. So now we can manage with one Calorlite and as it runs low the second one is put into caravan to take over as number one runs out.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks GeorgeandAde, I have been caravanning over 14 years and now I feel like a newbie because we are staring from scratch. Feel a bit daft asking some of the questions but also things have moved on in that 14 years.
I never even thought of having different sizes bottles😂. Does the smaller bottle secure well in the locker or are the straps too high to grab it?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
No the smaller one fits very well and straps in ok.
To be honest,we don't really use a great deal of gas but didn't want the bigger one to run out so bought the smaller one as well.
Don't feel daft about asking questions their a great bunch on here with a wealth of knowledge (more than me..lol)

Reactions: smida040
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I run 2x3.9 kg bottles, one for van and one to be removed and used with cadac. I did have to lower the bottle cradle/strap and move the base plate out slightly,2 minute job.

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will stick with the 2 small cylinders for now.
Just wanted to canvass option as the dealer is about 1.1/2 hours away and we are hoping to pick the van up and go straight onto the campsite at the dealers. So just trying to be prepared.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you stick with Butane just remember it is not ideal for winter touring. Main reason I have always used Propane

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Will be switching to propane, just so happened these 2 cheap cylinders were butane.
Tbh the gas lites that we have always had were really good, but not the easiest to source whilst on holiday. So I think these 2 small ones may just give us the extra flexibility. Especially why there are only 3 of using the shower instead of 4, (lad not really interested in coming away with us any more)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Any more that a single 3.9kg cylinder in my front locker, and i struggle to get the noseweight to anything sensible !

What a dereliction of care exercised in the design of that caravan, sadly what we seem to be prepared to accept form this "industry".

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've got 2 x Calor Lightweight, each one lasts ages but when they run out they tend to do so at short notice, and always when the nearest shops are shut! Also, knowing I've got at least one completely full one means one less task if we decide on a last-minute off-grid weekend.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
What a dereliction of care exercised in the design of that caravan, sadly what we seem to be prepared to accept form this "industry".

Generally I agree, we accept much lower standards of design in caravans than we would in most other areas of life, because the manufacturers have ensured it's that or nothing. However - my caravan was originally designed with a bunk bed at the very back, and a wooden sliding door across the rear sleeping area: The previous owner removed the bunk bed because he didn't need it, and I've replaced the sliding door with a curtain: Whatever other issues I may have, my difficulty getting a decent nose weight are of mine and the previous owner's making.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Best thing we ever did was invest in a Safefill lightweight cylinder years ago. A refill costs us under £10 for a 7.5kg bottle. It took us longer than normal to break even, but glad we switched.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Having recently lost our van to thieves, I have also lost the 2 Flo gas lightweight cylinders. I think they were 5 or 6kgs
I have managed to pick up a couple of Calor Butane bottles for less than £20 for the pair. 4.5kg size. Do people typically run with these or is there a larger preferred option.
At less than a tenner each and reading about the shortages, just seemed to good a deal to pass on.
New van will be a Super major 4 SB

Tia
Sorry for the loss of your caravan
I also have one 6kg propane and a 3.9 propane

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Well that wasn’t as easy easy as it should be. Really struggling to get gas , so a bit of wheeler dealing and I know have 1.1/2 x 4.5kg butane and one 6kg propane. Should see use through to the backend of the year 🤞

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Best thing we ever did was invest in a Safefill lightweight cylinder years ago. A refill costs us under £10 for a 7.5kg bottle. It took us longer than normal to break even, but glad we switched.
]
Ditto. Although I still carry a spare Calorlite "just in case" when on a long trip in Europe (Can just about remember them!)
To be honest I wasn't fussed about breaking even. I was disgusted with the Calor prices and felt the best way to protest was to stop buying their product, (The Calorlite is very old!)
The massive benefit with Safefill is, of course, not only can you see the gas level but you can top up whenever it's needed, always going away with a full cylinder.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Funnily enough where I got my gas from today, the bloke was telling me about safefill but he hasn’t been able to get hold of any recently.
Tbh for the amount of gas we use it really doesn’t bother me too much about the cost.
I just like to have everything available. Just out of interest on the safefill, do you have to have them inspected every so often? Also, do you just fill them at petrol stations, or is there something special ?
The option of toppling the up is really appealing. What do they look like , seen some on Facebook, not sure what make they are though

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here’s the link
http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Theres advise to have them inspected at set periods but Safefill have no process to do it. And then you draw a blank on who is competent to do it against what criteria. The Flogas Gaslight bottles are similar construction but are exchanged for a full one and the empty is returned to Flogas. Morrison’s are a key locator for fillling but not all Morrison’s will allow refilling. Our local Morrison’s sell auto gas but don’t allow filling lpg cylinders.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Funnily enough where I got my gas from today, the bloke was telling me about safefill but he hasn’t been able to get hold of any recently.
Tbh for the amount of gas we use it really doesn’t bother me too much about the cost.
I just like to have everything available. Just out of interest on the safefill, do you have to have them inspected every so often? Also, do you just fill them at petrol stations, or is there something special ?
The option of toppling the up is really appealing. What do they look like , seen some on Facebook, not sure what make they are though

We have a Safefill bottle and the recommendation is to check it regularly, but to have it inspected once every 10 years. We fill up when out and about and will be doing a refill this week at Highbridge. You cna refill them on any Morrisons forecourt that sells LPG. They are Safefill and no other make.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have a Safefill bottle and the recommendation is to check it regularly, but to have it inspected once every 10 years. We fill up when out and about and will be doing a refill this week at Highbridge. You cna refill them on any Morrisons forecourt that sells LPG. They are Safefill and no other make.
Who does the periodic inspection? Safefill when I questioned this had no answer. They had no agents authorised to inspect the bottles and presumably recertify them for a period ( how long) of future use. When I had an involvement in grp gas bottles for pilot oxygen there was an inspection and test regime for the bottles at a set periodicity. Unlike Calor, Flogas and Camping Gaz Safefill have no such approach.

At our local large Morrison’s there is a sign indicating that gas bottles are not to be filled.

Reactions: Ern
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s illegal to self fill a bottle that is rented to you. These bottles are refillled by weight. If you have a self owned bottle such as Gaslow or Safefill these have an overflow protection and are filled by volume.
The fact that you’ve been doing it for five years and a DA member advised doesn’t alter the facts.

It might be best if you didn’t discuss what are illegal and potentially unsafe practices on the Forum as less experienced and new members might not be aware of the facts.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/52-20.htm
https://www.liquidgasuk.org/news/ar...hip-and-filling-of-freestanding-lpg-cylinders

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts