What Size?

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
With our intention of getting back into caravaning again asap I have been giving much thought to what size van to go for.
We only need a 2 berth and the size of such a 'van would mean easier towing and cheaper ferry/chunnel costs.
However once we get going we will be setting off on a protracted tour of France and Spain as well as home touring and I can not but help thinking that the extra room of a larger (4 berth?) 'van may make things more comfortable.
I will be getting one of the more proven 2Ltr diesel estate car "Tugs" so the weight should not be a decider.
Can you suggest any points which I should consider to help me make the right decision?
Rgds
EDIT-
Can I expand this query include what features you would deem esential. Obvious and not so obvious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Wilbury,

Wilbury said:
We only need a 2 berth and the size of such a 'van would mean easier towing and cheaper ferry/chunnel costs."

You have just sparked a subject area that I hadn't given a lot of previous thought to.

I have never towed to the continent so I've never checked cross channel prices, but a quick check on both Eurotunnel, and my ferry link .com it seemed that neither charged more depending on the length of caravan within the range of 4 to 8m shipping length. So on the basis of that quick search the passage cost difference between a sort 2 berth or slightly longer caravan is zero.

You would naturally think that a longer caravan would be heavier, and that would almost certainly be true of caravans from the same range, but one range of caravans may be lighter (length for length) than another so it is just possible to find a longer caravan may be equal or even less in weight than a shorter one from a different range. So its likely you may be able to find a bigger caravan that doesn't have a significant weight penalty.

I have towed a wide range of different sized trailers and caravans, and it is my experience the shorter ones are often more fidgety behind the car compared to longer ones. In terms of fuel consumption, I haven't done enough identical runs with different outfits to be specific, but in general I haven't noticed a massive difference in overall fuel consumptions so I reckon you would need to be doing really long trips to see any major differences in fuel costs between a small 2 beth compared to say a light weight 4 berth.

And when it comes to reversing the trailers with the biggest length between the hitch and the axle are in my opinion easier to reverse as the trailers reaction to steerage is slightly slower and feels more controlled.

There are some 2 berth caravans built on what was a 4 berth chassis designed for those couples who want more space, or there are 4 berth caravans where you could leave the back end berths set up as a bedroom, but still have the flexibility to have space for family. Theres a wide range of choice out there - go and have some fun looking.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Wilbury
My wife and I previously had a two berth for 5 years and now have had a four berth for the past 5years.
I agree with everything the Prof has said re tow ability, fuel consumption, cross channel fares etc. the present 4 berth ( Bailey s6 Senator California) is 3ft longer than its predecessor, the main difference in its facilities is that it has a fixed bed - so much more comfortable and convenient than making up the bed each night.
If you have ( or will get) a suitable tow car then I would recommend bigger rather than smaller.
One other accessory to get with a bigger van is a motor mover. Even if you can back a caravan with confidence (and I can!) there can be occasions where there simply isn't enough room to manoeuvre the car and caravan hitched together - as I have at home where I keep the caravan .

Mike

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree with everything stated by the Prof and by Mike S, particularly with regard to the motor mover and the fixed bed.
Another essential for me would be a good fridge but not a giant fridge / freezer type fitted to some top of the range models. You'd need a gas hob and possibly an outside gas point which could enable you to save caravan weight by not having a large full grill and oven, instead using a gas bbq similar to a Cadak which could be transported in the car.
If you plan to use sites with full facilities most of the time you could opt for a smaller shower and toilet compartment such as fitted by Adria, which are amidships between kitchen area and bedroom rather than at the end.
I should imagine that the difference in towing fuel cost would be marginal if you opt for a lighter fixed bed 4 berth and a correctly loaded caravan should have no issues with towability.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, can't get into the technical bit of this debate. However, we are basically talking fixed bed or no fixed bed here.
Unless the extra cost was totally prohibitive, (and I would factor in slashing OH's ale budget if necessary :whistle: ). Then a fixed bed every time.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For the longer sort of trip you have in mind 4 berth fixed bed is ideal , I,ve been doing just what you plan for more than 10 years. Motor movers almost essential for this size of van on many Continental sites.
Depending on your preference for using site toilet blocks or not, end bathroom vans are well worth considering. There are now several makers offering all this with a reasonable all up weight.
Most ferry companies charge caravan by length, but don't seem to check it unless it is obviously long. I have long considered that you buy the complete space, that is car plus caravan, so if the car is less than say 5m. You should be able to 'use' the difference fot the van, so athe overall outfit fits into 12m.
In any case the difference in cost for a longer van will be very small relative to the overall cost of ferry, insurance etc. so could well be ignored.

Happy touring !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts