What to check in handover

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone we're taking possession of our new to us Lunar this Saturday. We've bought it from a large dealer and of course trust them but what should we be doing at the handover to make sure we haven't bought a load of trouble ?thanks for any advice.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The first mistake has already been made, don't trust them!! Many dealers don't even complete the pdi, and just wait and see what problems if any arise, overall this is cheaper for them. I'm not saying yours would do this, just be aware.

As far as what to check, that's easy absolutely everything. Eyes wide open from the moment you get to the van, check the outside thoroughly for any marks and dents or repairs. I've heard of one dealer local to us that if they dinged a van moving it used to send it for an overnight quick repair and sell it as if nothing had happened.

Make sure that all the systems work, not just that you're shown how they work. For example check that the heating and hot water actually warm up. The van should be connected to water, mains and gas for everything to be checked. Be pedantic it's your money and your van. Do not be rushed through things a hand over for a new van can you say half a day not the dealers' half an hour. You've invested heavily and better to find anything right at the start than on your first trip away.

Have a great time and enjoy your new van.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend strongly that you ask an experienced caravan mobile engineer or technician to carry out an inspection as a matter of urgency...

That report will provide either peace of mind, or a list of work that needs to be done prior to acceptance,,,
Good luck, and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Chrissy, I am with Martin, take your time, and look at everything, I picked up our new van and missed a small dent in the fridge door, got it in the neck from the better half. Too late by then. Make sure window blinds work etc. Don't just expect your new pride andnjoy to be perfect.
But once your happy , enjoy.
Hutch.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
If it is possible to stay overnight either on a rally field that the dealer may have or a site close to them (some dealers have an agreement with a local site for a free or reduced cost stopover) I would recommend it.
We did that and a few hours after the initial handover noticed a couple of issues, so popped back and got them sorted out there and then - much easier than getting home to find a problem and then have to tow the van all the way back for it to be rectified.
Good luck and enjoy your new van - Happy camping !

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone. First I must apologise because my original post is on the wrong thread ! Anyway, just to say the handover went well today thanks to all your advice which we took on board. We are now the proud owners of a Lunar caravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts