What Towcar Please

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
We have an Abbey GTS Vogue 418 2007 and have been towing with a VW Passatt 2.00TDCI without any problems. I am looking to change my car in August and would like some advice on what to have as our next towcar. We have looked at the VW Tiguan 2.0ltr TD(this also has electric handbrake)the Mondeo Ghia 2.00ltr, and also the Volvo V70 SE Estate.Wife doesn't want to have another Passatt as she doesn't like the electric hand brake,(she only drives the car solo) Would appreciate feedback on any of the cars, towability and mpg when towing etc.

David-Swift Caravaner

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I've got exactly the same 'van, same year. I tow with a new type Volvo V70 D5. It's superb, plenty of poke and solid as a rock. It's the 185 bhp 6 speed model. Previously I had a 2005 model, 163 bhp with 5 speed. That was equally as good and a lot more economical (about 10mpg better). The new one does have an automatic handbrake though - the type you just drive away and it releases itself.

I've no idea what the fuel consumption towing is, or was. I've never bothered to check. Unless the same trip is done under the same conditions how can you compare one car to another? Traffic jams and roadworks on the M5, compared to quiet country roads in mid Wales or belting down a French autoroute at 70 will all give significantly different figures. It does what it does.

I've had Passats, Mondeos, etc in the past. All have been great but the Volvo has the edge for me. But then newer models are generally better than their predecessor's so not a really fair comparison. Although, to me, the general overall quality seems a notch up but you get what you pay for and new V70's aren't cheap.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
David, I've got exactly the same 'van, same year. I tow with a new type Volvo V70 D5. It's superb, plenty of poke and solid as a rock. It's the 185 bhp 6 speed model. Previously I had a 2005 model, 163 bhp with 5 speed. That was equally as good and a lot more economical (about 10mpg better). The new one does have an automatic handbrake though - the type you just drive away and it releases itself.

I've no idea what the fuel consumption towing is, or was. I've never bothered to check. Unless the same trip is done under the same conditions how can you compare one car to another? Traffic jams and roadworks on the M5, compared to quiet country roads in mid Wales or belting down a French autoroute at 70 will all give significantly different figures. It does what it does.

I've had Passats, Mondeos, etc in the past. All have been great but the Volvo has the edge for me. But then newer models are generally better than their predecessor's so not a really fair comparison. Although, to me, the general overall quality seems a notch up but you get what you pay for and new V70's aren't cheap.
Thanks for your advice Jim, we are going for a test drive in the new volvo V70 tomorrow so we will see how we get on with the Handbrake.

Dave-SwiftCaravaner

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts