What towcar to pick?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is it with 4x4 and towing? Has any one worked out how many hours, not days or weeks they tow in a year ............ yep not many. So why put up with driving a truck with a cheap nasty interior and a penchant for fuel, guzzled at an alarming rate, for the rest of the year ........... the bulk of the year! Fools all of ye that drive a cheap korean 4x4 and even bigger fools those that drive a yank 4x4!

me, i wouldn't be without my 5 series 3.0diesel, fantastic build quality,sublime ride and handling, gorgeous interior and exterior, heavy to pull a big van and superb economy.

4x4's are really quite pathetic bought by people who sadistically like cars ....sorry trucks, that handle like loose knicker elastic.

Now that brings me on to Tina ......... will you be wearing those nice knickers at Southport?
I presume your vehicle is a BMW. Overated,overpriced and overhere. Oh dear have you heard that BMW dealers have had to put on double shifts to sort out the warrenty cliams. Once O.K but not any more,look at the J.D power reports to find the most reliable vehicle and ITS NOT BMW

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I presume your vehicle is a BMW. Overated,overpriced and overhere. Oh dear have you heard that BMW dealers have had to put on double shifts to sort out the warrenty cliams. Once O.K but not any more,look at the J.D power reports to find the most reliable vehicle and ITS NOT BMW
Why is it that BMW drivers never indicate and when they have their headlights on they have to use their foglight as well?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh, so Captain Kangaroo has one of those vehicles with no indicators.
Hi Dusty,

You are quite right it must be the basic model, no bulbs fitted or the indicator stork has been not fitted as BMW drivers don't require one as they think they own not just the German roads but the BRITISHER ROADS you will comply or you will feel th rath of the greater Germanic thought.

Ya, Das Gut.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is it with 4x4 and towing? Has any one worked out how many hours, not days or weeks they tow in a year ............ yep not many. So why put up with driving a truck with a cheap nasty interior and a penchant for fuel, guzzled at an alarming rate, for the rest of the year ........... the bulk of the year! Fools all of ye that drive a cheap korean 4x4 and even bigger fools those that drive a yank 4x4!

me, i wouldn't be without my 5 series 3.0diesel, fantastic build quality,sublime ride and handling, gorgeous interior and exterior, heavy to pull a big van and superb economy.

4x4's are really quite pathetic bought by people who sadistically like cars ....sorry trucks, that handle like loose knicker elastic.

Now that brings me on to Tina ......... will you be wearing those nice knickers at Southport?
This 4x4 against car saga is tiresome! Everybody to their own i say. What I would like to know is why 4x4 drivers always have headlights and foglights lit in the middle of the day and therefore blind everybody coming the opposite way! Its not as though you cant see them already!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with the Capt'n on this one. These cars are dangerous to other road users and completly un-needed. All caravans are designed to be towed with road cars and I can't help but chuckle at people towing at 30mph on the motorway with a small 'van being towed with a stupidly big 4x4.

The only thing more dangerous is the downright nasty bullbars that dusty seems to like. These are designed to stop the car being damaged by small animals between 2 and 20 stone in weight, the only animal like that on british roads is humans. These bars hide any design built into the car that help pedestrians on collisions. Conclusion, these people would rather keep their bodywork nice at the expense of the saftey of others.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm with the Capt'n on this one. These cars are dangerous to other road users and completly un-needed. All caravans are designed to be towed with road cars and I can't help but chuckle at people towing at 30mph on the motorway with a small 'van being towed with a stupidly big 4x4.

The only thing more dangerous is the downright nasty bullbars that dusty seems to like. These are designed to stop the car being damaged by small animals between 2 and 20 stone in weight, the only animal like that on british roads is humans. These bars hide any design built into the car that help pedestrians on collisions. Conclusion, these people would rather keep their bodywork nice at the expense of the saftey of others.
Roo bar b

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stinky_Pete,

I'm with you on this one.

Those bullbars should be banned. To think I got into holidaying using a caravan because I'm an environmentalist, so that I didn't have to pollute the atmosphere and use tons of fossils fuels by flying in a gas guzzling plane and then all i get is gas guzzling 4x4's undoing my good work.

I say ban 4x4's, they are an environmental menace and a danger to pedestrians and come to think of it the drivers too as they esaily tip over in high speed turns, such as when you need to avoid an accident. Do the users of these vehicles know that in the USA every 4x4 bar one has a warning sticker on the dash that states the car will turn over in high speed turns!

Which one doesn't? The Subaru forester ...........which is a 4x4 to consider as it is really a jacked up estate.

Buy a large 4x4 and you become a menace to society

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not live and let live. If someone wishes to tow with a BMW/4x4/etc. etc. let them. I tow with a 4x4 as previously I had a 2.0 litre Omega and although a good solo car whilst I was towing I spent more time on Green Flag than the highway. I personally do not like BMWs. As previously stated I am of the opinion that they are very over rated. As far as the environment is concerned Dr. Bellamy has proved that there is no greenhouse warming effect. In his studies he has proven that this effect is a cycle which occurs every few hundred thousand years. I am inclined to believe him rather than the so called ecological Green Party representatives as they strike me to be a bunch of odd balls who are out just to incite trouble. Likewise this bunch, thankfully at present only in London, who target 4x4 vehicles. If they were so concerned lets get all these 44 ton vehicles off the road and back onto the railways with distribution areas. The Royal Mail has proven this by going back to the trains for long haul freight.

There may be some of you who do not agree with my views but as it is a free country this is my opinion and I am sticking to it. I will do as I want within the law of the land

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I am not daft enough to take all the jibes about 4x4 seriously, I realise most of it is proberbly just a wind up. One thing does interest me though is what vehicle would all those commenting on how 4x4 should be banned would recommend to tow nearly 2000kg safely with the 85% rule particularly up alpine roads in France/ Switzerland. Maybee the answer is we should not be allowed to but large vans.

I tow such a van with a Toyota Landruiser Amazon (about the biggest 4x4 you can get) and I certainly would not relish the thought of trying this with a piddly 3 liter engine BMW or not.

Does a 5 series BMW really weigh 2250ks?????

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I think you may need to change the batteries in your calculator, with a GVW of 3260kg I think you will find towing a unit with an all up weight of 1950KG well within the 85% rule

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry graham, i didn't realise that your 4x4 weighed over 3ton, from your last posting you asked if the beemer weighed 2250 kg I therefore assumed you mean't your 4x4 weighed this amount. If your 4x4 weighs over 3 ton you must be enjoying superb economy? I bet little kids bounce well off the high front bumper when 3 ton hits them? Does the 4x4 even notice you are pulling a static van weighing 2 ton? I would be interested to know.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Graham, the weight ratio is calculated from the kerbweight, NOT the GVW. However, you're still right about being within 85%, even using a typical figure of about 2600kg for the kerbweight of the big Landcruiser.

A Bessacarr Cameo 635GL is an example of a tourer that's not much short of 2000kg. It's 2.23m wide so it wouldn't be illegal to tow behind the Landcruiser.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Sorry graham, i didn't realise that your 4x4 weighed over 3ton, from your last posting you asked if the beemer weighed 2250 kg I therefore assumed you mean't your 4x4 weighed this amount. If your 4x4 weighs over 3 ton you must be enjoying superb economy? I bet little kids bounce well off the high front bumper when 3 ton hits them? Does the 4x4 even notice you are pulling a static van weighing 2 ton? I would be interested to know.
Sorry to confuse, my comment about the 2250kg was a bit tonge in cheek since that is what a vehicle would need to weigh in order to tow a fully loaded Avondale Landranger (or is it a Pemberton must check)

Fuel ecomomy is 26 mpg not towing and 22mpg towing so not much penalty and yes you know you have a van on the back sometimes you see it in the mirror when you look back at the kids flying through the air.(Only joking only thing I have ever hit was a piece of 8 x 4 plywood and that came off worse)

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

Yes I know how the calculation works but as Toyota only list GVM I had to do a similar calculation to the one you obviously have done to arrive at the match. Needless to say kerbwieght must be at least 2600 or even 2800KG so a bit of a safety margin there. I dont however tow a German beast but my Avondale ( when fully loaded must be getting on for 1950Kg)

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

Yes I know how the calculation works but as Toyota only list GVM I had to do a similar calculation to the one you obviously have done to arrive at the match. Needless to say kerbwieght must be at least 2600 or even 2800KG so a bit of a safety margin there. I dont however tow a German beast but my Avondale ( when fully loaded must be getting on for 1950Kg)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to confuse, my comment about the 2250kg was a bit tonge in cheek since that is what a vehicle would need to weigh in order to tow a fully loaded Avondale Landranger (or is it a Pemberton must check)

Fuel ecomomy is 26 mpg not towing and 22mpg towing so not much penalty and yes you know you have a van on the back sometimes you see it in the mirror when you look back at the kids flying through the air.(Only joking only thing I have ever hit was a piece of 8 x 4 plywood and that came off worse)
A 3.0d beemer will do 42mpg, well with her in doors driving 45mpg! and 34 towing + it will tow most twin axles out there as well if you don't mind going over the 85% rule a bit. So the 4x4 at 22mpg would make me wince

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The biggest Avondale, the Land Ranger, has an MTPLM of 'only' 1740kg. I hope you're not loading it up to 1950kg, Graham. To my knowledge, the Bessacarr Cameo 635GL, with an MTPLM of 1900kg, is the heaviest British-built tourer on the market.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

No my mistake when estimating, I was adding load and extras on to MTPLM figure instead of MRO figure.

Never mind always pays to err on the side of caution, my outfit is now a 61% match instaed of a 70% match

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts