Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have approx. £10000 including my present 4x4 to fork out on new towcar. Caravan is a Bailey Ranger 500/5 with max. weight of 1400kg. The new vehicle must be diesel but not fussed whether another 4x4 or car/estate/mpv.

My main concerns are reliability, servicing costs, road fund tax/insurance and economy as we have now both retired and one must now look after the pennies.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I tow a Ranger 510/4 which is the same size and similar weight to the 500/5. My car is the Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 TDdi hatch. This car pulls the caravan with ease. My only problem is nose weight as the Ford will only take 75KG and even with nothing loaded the Bailey comes in at 85KG. To allow me to carry gas I had to rig a secure mount in the rear bathroom to allow me to tow with the bottle to the rear of the axle. Truth is that modern vans are getting so big and heavy that you really need a big 4x4 to keep everything safe and legal.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

So the trusty old 4track is finally going then?

Bet your'e sad.

A hill farmer of my aquaintance in the Beacons National Park had one for donkeys years but it finally let him down when the back axle casing cracked. He replaced it with an Isuzu pickup which has given him no end of grief and he wishes he had the old Daihaty back again.

Now then what to replace it with?

As a confirmed Mitsubishi fan I would say go for a Shogun SWB they are magic and put a smile on your face every time you drive them - they are like a 4 track, i.e a tool, but so refined in comparisom and with all the toys like climate control, cruise and if you go for top spec lovely leather seats.

OK so after 2001 the road tax is a bit painfull but if you go for the 4work version then it is only taxed as a commercial and they are identical to the standard car except no back seat.

That's the route I plan to take when my old Shoggy dies as mostly it's only the dog and vanning junk goes in the back but she's so strong she will probably see me out.

Best of luck in the search anyway and a happy and long retirement - I have been retired for seven years now and the old cliche of wondering how I found time to go to work is SO TRUE..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't really argue with any of that, David, except to say I'd prefer a LWB. I borrowed an SWB some time ago when I was thinking of "going foreign", and found the ride very choppy.

Colin, why not have look at a Hyundai Terracan? Basically the last Shogun model, but with posh clothes on! Two friends have them, one bought new, one at a year old. The older one has just had its first MOT, the other is due in the Autumn. Both a proving to be great cars.

Evans & Williams, Cowbridge road west Cardiff is probably your nearest dealer.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Yes Emmerson it can be a bit "choppy" solo over certain surfaces but it makes up for that when towing - like the 4track it has almost no overhang at the rear so it has a very low moment about the towball which reduces pitch considerably.

With a twin axle the stability in the for and aft pitch mode is almost perfect.

I like the LWB too but am stymied for length of outfit as I live bordering a narrow lane and also seem to always be going into sites with tight turn entrances.

Feb 1, 2007
Visit site
I would say get an early Discovery TDV6 or a very late Disco TD5, for your money you can ensure that it is a low mileage car with all the bells and whistles plus some warranty. I have looked at some MPG topics on this forum and you shouldnt be put off by the Land Rover name as it doesn't seem to be any worse than some other run of the mill vehicles. As to reliability, because these vehicles are so tough, it takes alot to put them under any kind of strain, the engines are fantastic and in my opinion a real joy to drive. If you get a TD5 I recommend an automatic gearbox with the sport setting.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Richard, I feel a disco is a bit OTT for a 1400kg caravan (however I thought the MTPLM of a Ranger 500/5 was around 1300kg).

I tow a Pageant S7 with a 08 plate Zafira 150 CDTi and it tows really well.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2ltr. It looks nice, it tows well and if new they come with a 5 year warranty. Towing I get about 33/34 mpg. Very comfortable and practical. It is an 05 plate and you can pick them up for a reasonable price.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2ltr. It looks nice, it tows well and if new they come with a 5 year warranty. Towing I get about 33/34 mpg. Very comfortable and practical. It is an 05 plate and you can pick them up for a reasonable price.
I am shocked that you get 33mpg towing. I have a friend who has the smaller Hyundai Tucson with a 2.0L diesel and he struggles to get in the low 30s mpg solo.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
William

I have a 6 birth Pageant (MTPLM 1483) and it has no problems.

On your point of what car it is based on, a Passat is now on a stretched Golf platform, the Freelander has Focus underpinnings, etc, etc.

In my opinion the smaller car has some advantages too as there is usually a much shorter rear overhang so less droop from the addition of a caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts