What Towcar?

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Please help me make a decision, looking at various cars to pull our bailey ranger 460/4, mtplm about 1180kg, anyone got a seat altea, ford c-max, toyota verso or mazda 5, let me know how it tows and if they have enough torque, have not decided on any particular model or engine although it would be a diesel. I look forward to your comments. Sue

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sue, we have a Bailey 510/4 and we tow it with a Citroen Picasso 2.0HDI and it is wonderful. Take a test drive and ask questions but you will not be dissapointed. Cheers G

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sue, Hello,

I have a Bailey pageant Imperial which has the the same towing weight as your van.

I tow with a vauxhall vectra 2.2 dti Estate, it pulls the van as if is was not there , It will cruise at 60mph on the motorways, fuel economy, local runs 38 to 42 depends how short the runs are , towing 30.32 , recorded 32 from Thirsk going over the A66 from Scotch corner to Strid Wood cc site near Kendal.

Roy.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sue.

We use a Skoda Octavia 2.0 FSi estate to tow a Bailey Ranger 470/4 and have never had any problems. Managed to get 29mpg on a recent trip with the caravan which isn't bad considering it's a petrol.

The Octavia has come 2nd out of 100 cars in the Auto Express 'Driver Power' survey published this week.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Sue, see the comments that I have made about my focus C-max a page or so back now. The Toyota Verso has a very low tow limit, I am not sure about the Mazda. I tow a Swift Charisma with the C-max at an mtplm of 1291kg but I dont load it this heavy as there are only 2 of us.

Alan

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Hello,

I only started caravaning last year i bought a Bailey Ranger 470/4 with a mtplm of 1192kg ,the towcar i chose was a ford focus c-max 2.0 tdci this car seems to pull the caravan with very little effort.The gears 4th ,fifth and sixth all seem to have plenty of power if this is required.This would be a similar set up for your caravan.

Ihope this has been of help cheers mike

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sue, we have a Bailey 510/4 and we tow it with a Citroen Picasso 2.0HDI and it is wonderful. Take a test drive and ask questions but you will not be dissapointed. Cheers G
Thanks for that, I do like the picasso but did not think it could pull my new van. I am making a list of possibles and researching, also fuel economy important to us as I have done 36k in 6 years in my sedona and on

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Sue, Hello,

I have a Bailey pageant Imperial which has the the same towing weight as your van.

I tow with a vauxhall vectra 2.2 dti Estate, it pulls the van as if is was not there , It will cruise at 60mph on the motorways, fuel economy, local runs 38 to 42 depends how short the runs are , towing 30.32 , recorded 32 from Thirsk going over the A66 from Scotch corner to Strid Wood cc site near Kendal.

Roy.
Cheers for that, only problem is I need a smaller car as have a very awkward driveway hence the sale of swift caravan and sedona car as makes life very hard with these two. Would have to be a hatchback not an estate.

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Sue, see the comments that I have made about my focus C-max a page or so back now. The Toyota Verso has a very low tow limit, I am not sure about the Mazda. I tow a Swift Charisma with the C-max at an mtplm of 1291kg but I dont load it this heavy as there are only 2 of us.

Alan
Thanks Alan, I really do like the look of this one, will give it a test drive and keep you posted. Sue

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hello,

I only started caravaning last year i bought a Bailey Ranger 470/4 with a mtplm of 1192kg ,the towcar i chose was a ford focus c-max 2.0 tdci this car seems to pull the caravan with very little effort.The gears 4th ,fifth and sixth all seem to have plenty of power if this is required.This would be a similar set up for your caravan.

Ihope this has been of help cheers mike
Thanks for your help Mike, I think I will end up with the c-max, have really got my eye on it, just have to persuade the hubby now, although he only drives the car at the weekend so kind of my choice really, he might disagree! Thanks Sue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts