What type of awning

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
We have a bailey unicorn vigo and we are looking at getting an awning. We went to the caravan show at Birmingham yesterday and looked at both Air frames and metal framed awnings. We would prob prefer an air framed awning but a friend bought one and regrets it as the sides let in draughts and flapped on very windy days. Anyone have any practical advice/ opinions on this?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
An air awning tends to have fixed length poles (but some are adjustable) and are only of use on flat ground. If the ground slopes uphill away from the caravan then this will have the action of pulling the sides of the awning away from the van, thus letting in the draught. A metal poled awning will have adjustable legs to compensate.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
An air awning tends to have fixed length poles (but some are adjustable) and are only of use on flat ground. If the ground slopes uphill away from the caravan then this will have the action of pulling the sides of the awning away from the van, thus letting in the draught. A metal poled awning will have adjustable legs to compensate.

Robbie
Sir WC is quite right . Certainly the Kampa air porch awning I have does not make as good a seal as the Isabella Magnum porch awning.
If you are talking about a full size awning then I think both air and conventional all attach to the full awning rail sides included.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Marmite really some people will quote examples of one or the other being better than the other. Personally we have yet to see anything to beat our Isabella Magnum. She's just survived storm Doris, without storm straps, where as our neighbours' air awning needed to be taken down. There were two of us with the same model that left ours up. Many took theirs down but I could comment as to whether they were air or not. My wife puts the awning up on her own very easily.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a swift Air awning, 290, and it can handle good winds, I dought It would survive Doris, and also 3/4 carbon light awning which is also a lightweight awning , but you have to get it right to stand up to strong winds. The can both take good snow, they are good for us as we "Try" to tour around all year.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We have a swift Air awning, 290, and it can handle good winds, I dought It would survive Doris, and also 3/4 carbon light awning which is also a lightweight awning , but you have to get it right to stand up to strong winds. The can both take good snow, they are good for us as we "Try" to tour around all year.

Unless someone wants the decorating done :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Your right there Martin, now sister in law want to come up,, but doest know when, my mate wants me to sell his Valencia, just stereralised the van, water barrels, etc, new memery foam mattress, just need to get over to Morteon int, marsh now,. Fav site Bo Peep, near, Adderbury has closed to tourers.
By the way, new Bay, means New Curtains, New Carpets, Bigger Tv, , there goes the van and Tug.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The air awnings are quite new and I do not know how old your friends is or what it cost. There were reported problems with some early ones which I think the manufacturers have sorted out. At the same time you get what you pay for and the cheaper ones might simply not be up to the standard of the more expensive ones.
Air awnings are quicker and easier to erect although because the tubes are incorporated in with the canvas can be quite heavy to move. Conventional ones have the tubes in a different bag which splits the weight.
Things may also depend on how you use the awning. If you are doing a lot of weekends or short stops then an air one will give you more time on site and lose less of your break. If you stay longer on a site then this is less of a problem, so this might affect your choice.
A good quality air awning should be nearly if not as good as a similar quality conventional one but make sure you buy a good make.

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
@ Robbie pack
>I think your friend must have bought a bad quality awning. I would suggest you, consult with the technical team of Australia Wide Annexes, as they are really good and always ready to help. My friends and I also have purchased their products many times and I must say they are the best awnings seller in Australia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts